Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I’ve got a fever! And the only prescription… is more cowbell!

Well, I really do have a fever. The Wife isn’t too happy with me because she thinks I’ve got this fever to get out of being in the delivery room should she go into labor now. Or maybe she’s just tired of my saying the whole cowbell line every time I check my temp and see that I have a fever. Nah… it has to be the first reason.

Tim McCarver has the ability to make me dislike watching baseball. If he is calling a game, I just can’t watch it. I try not to hate people, but he really makes it hard for me. Now that Billy Packer doesn’t call college basketball games anymore, and Bill Curry is not calling college football games…. McCarver is the only announcer left that can make me turn a game off (or at least mute it).

As you know, we at I’m just sayin… never shy away from controversial topics. So I will now share with you my idea for the Confederate battle flag. As best I can tell, one side wants to keep it on the state house grounds because it is part of this state’s history. The other side does not want it on the state house grounds (and really doesn’t want it where it is now… front and center on the state house grounds). So my idea is to put a (very nice) display of all of the flags that have flown over South Carolina (starting with the British flag) on the side of the state house grounds. The Confederate battle flag would be just one of many flags and this would still honor South Carolina’s history. Sounds like a win-win to me.

So Rush Limbaugh wants to own a NFL football team. I think people are making too big a deal over what he said in 2003. I didn’t agree with the comments (I’m a Donovan McNabb fan) but I don’t think what he said was all that bad. I think he was trying to take a shot at the liberal media and it backfired on him. Having said that, if the NFL wants to keep him out because of that, well that’s their business. I hear people all the time making the mistake about ‘freedom of speech’ in situations like this. The NFL doesn’t have to give a crap about Limbaugh’s freedom of speech. All that freedom of speech means is that Rush shouldn’t go to jail for saying what he said.


Did you hear about the 1st grader in Delaware who got in trouble for taking one of those camping utensil things to school (has a folding knife, fork, and spoon)? He was suspended and was going to have to spend 45 days in an alternative school for troublemakers. The reason for this harsh punishment (which has since been overturned… probably because the kid has been all over the news and the school district realized they were stupid) was the zero-tolerance policy that the Christina School District has. This is why I think zero-tolerance policies are (in general) a bad idea. I think the reason places have a zero-tolerance policy is that they don’t want to look at each case individually. It keeps things easy. It keeps them from having to defend their decisions. “Hey, there’s nothing we can do… it’s the policy”. The problem is that life isn’t always so clear cut. There are exceptions to the rule. And it should have been obvious from the start that this was an exception to that rule.

Cleveland Cavs fact of the day: The Cavs season gets started on October 27 when they host the Boston Celtics.

Winthrop Eagles fact of the day: The Eagles get their season started on November 14 when they host basketball powerhouse Limestone. This will be Winthrop's homecoming. Bonus fact: This will be the second Winthrop homecoming this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment