Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, October 8, 2009

TV... and more baseball...

So The Wife likes Grey’s Anatomy. I don’t. That show is just messed up. I don’t get it. What happened to TV? Sure, there are some good shows these days. But even these shows can’t be watched all the time with Mary Ruth in the room. And that’s fine. These shows aren’t designed for children and for the most part they come on after children are (or should be) in bed. That’s cool. Sex seems to be a big theme of a lot of shows. Here’s the thing, that’s not exactly a new thing. A lot of shows have had sex as a main theme. The difference is some of these shows like Grey’s Anatomy take it too far. Grey’s Anatomy will show to girls in bed together and The Wife doesn’t have a problem with it. Yet if I sit and watch… let’s call it a documentary… of a women’s prison, well that makes me a bad guy. I don’t get it. But really, some shows use sex in a humorous way, others just use it. And don’t get me started on “Reality TV”. Thank God, The Wife doesn’t like that stuff.

So I’ve had some questions about something that was said in the Greatest Game post. Let me take a minute to clear things up… the second baseman who struck out to end Game 1 was me. That’s right, I said it. Here’s the thing, I wasn’t what you would call a great hitter. I was batting 7th or 8th in that game, which means I was in the game for what I was good at… defense. Now, to be fair to myself, I did have a team high batting average of .400 heading into the playoffs that year (and I started every game but six… I missed those games because of a concussion). I have no problem telling you that it had to have been the weakest .400 batting average in the history of the game. I did not have one single extra base hit. Not one. I did, however, set a record for the number of infield hits in a game/season/career. Ok, I don’t think they keep that kind of record, but if they did I would own it. My offensive strategy went something like this:

1. Get hit by a pitch
2. Bunt
3. Walk
4. Hit the ball on the ground and run like hell

For the most part, it worked. And really, we didn’t have many big hitters on the team in 1996. We won by playing ‘small-ball’ and I was perfect for that kind of game. And let’s not forget, defense is what wins championships and that’s why I was in the game (only made one error that year with a ton of chances). Now that I think about it, I’m more of a defensive guy in just about anything. Football, basketball, baseball… even in my marriage I seem to spend more time on defense than I do scoring. Anyway, rest easy friends. My senior season saw me become a much more productive offensive player. I’m sure I’ll tell you about it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment