Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, January 8, 2010

There seems to be a lot of talk this winter in football circles about playing hurt. The Wife’s favorite player (Hines Ward) called out Big Ben for not playing after suffering a concussion (talk about on this blog previously). Then there’s all this stuff with Texas Tech’s coach Mike Leach. I don’t know what went on. I don’t know if the kid was put in a shed or a trailer or whatever... but it sounds like the young man was being punished because the coach thought he was faking a mild concussion. First off, “mild concussion” is like “kinda pregnant”. You either suffered a concussion or you didn’t. As we’ve talked about on here before, concussions aren’t anything to mess with. If you try to come back too fast from a concussion it can really mess you up. I got knocked out in a baseball game my junior year at James Island and I ended up sitting out two weeks. My brother, who is many years older than me, got knocked out in a basketball game his senior year at James Island. I don’t remember how long he sat out after his concussion (if he sat out at all), but my guess is it wasn’t long enough because now the best job he can get is being a teacher. HA! Just kidding all of my teacher friends.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for playing hurt. My senior year I was eating Advil like they were M&Ms every day before baseball practices and games because my arm hurt, my legs hurt, and (mainly) my lower back was killing me. So I lived off of Advil and Icy Hot. So I get the attitude of athletes thinking you should play hurt. As long as you playing hurt doesn’t hurt the team... you should be out there. But concussions are different. They are bad news and studies have shown that you shouldn’t take them lightly.

We’re brought to you today by MasterCard


Chase Towne update: From his dad: All is well. Chase is doing fine. Enjoying the "down" time as we get ready for next week. Christine and I are enjoying the "seconds." As tough as this journey has been for Chase, we have been unbelievable blessed with a determined "Miracle Baby" and an overwhelming amount of support. We hope and pray that when Chase and Olivia are older they look back at this journey and realize just how blessed we have been. Please keep the prayers coming for strength as Chase prepares for next week.

Cleveland Cavs update: The Cavs play the Denver Nuggets tonight.

Winthrop Eagles update: The Eagles crushed VMI 96-63 last night, bringing their record to 6-9 (2-3 in the Big South). Winthrop hosts the Liberty Flames tomorrow at 4:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment