Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, March 25, 2010

400 wins...

I’m a little late in posting this due to school work. The end is near and so far it looks like I’ve got a chance to graduate. But enough about me... Friends, last Wednesday I had a chance to go down to James Island and watch history being made. James Island beat Colleton County 10-0 to earn Coach Tom Hatley his 400th victory. There was a nice article in the paper last Friday about Coach Hatley. In it, he said that the 1999 team was his best ever... which is odd because I graduated two years before that. I guess age is getting to the old guy. Haha... But really, 400 wins is great. But 400 wins is only a small part of what makes Coach Hatley great. Listen, before I go on, I’m not saying the man is perfect. I’m not saying he doesn’t have any regrets. I am saying he did things his way, and while he may have a few regrets... they’ve been too few to mention. Anyway, look at his former players and you’ll see his real success. Some are teachers/coaches, some own businesses, many have their masters, at least one will have a PhD by the end of the year and at least one is an oral surgeon. One even has a very successful blog and has written multiple best selling books (ok, that’s not 100% true... yet). A very large majority (if not all of them) will credit Coach Hatley for where they are. Get a group of guys who played for Coach Hatley in the ‘80s together with guys who played for him in the ‘90s and you would think they all played at the same time (except the guys from the ‘80s look old). They will tell the same stories that Coach told, they will talk about how much they feared him and how much they love him. Even today while they are in their 30s and 40s... grown men with jobs and families... they will only call him Coach. Most would rather have their tongue cut out than call him by his first name. Most don’t even know it. Most think his full name (First Middle Last) is Coach Tom Hatley. That’s just how it is. I’d be willing to bet that if you were to get all of his former players together and have Coach tell them to start running laps, they would start running. Some might question it... but these questions would be under their breath... as they are running (NEVER loud enough for him to hear it).

I am reminded of an email I wrote a little over a year ago that included my thoughts about Coach Hatley and playing baseball at James Island. I don’t remember it word for word, but I am able to cut and paste, so here it is:

**************
Growing up, I pretty much had my life planned up to age 18. My dream growing up was to play baseball for Coach Hatley at James Island High School. Let me tell you… it’s pretty dang cool to have your dream come true.

Playing baseball for Coach Hatley prepared me for so many things. He taught me, more than anything, that excuses don’t change man’s love for the winner or scorn for the loser. He also prepared me for marriage. If I do something wrong, The Wife will yell at me. If I did something wrong at practice, Coach Hatley would yell at me AND make me run. Ah, the good ol’ days. Anyway, I played four years in high school for Coach Hatley winning 4 Region Championships, 2 Lower State Championships, and 2 State Championships. The two “bad” years we had, we were Lower State Runner-ups. I’m not one to talk about my personal accomplishments, but I know if I don’t then you’ll just keep asking me and asking me so I might as well tell you now. I started my junior and senior years (and was named to the all region team both years). I’m sure you’re thinking the same thing I’ve thought all of these years, if I’d started my freshman and sophomore years then I’d have made the all region team 4 years, not just two. Some say I didn’t start those two years because I wasn’t ready or I wasn’t as good as the guys who started in front of me. Now, I know what you’re thinking, these can’t be the real reasons. It must have been politics. Well friends, I hate to say it but you’re probably right. As for my personal stats, well I'm not really one to keep up with that kind of stuff in an Excel spreadsheet but if I did then I would tell you that I played in 98 games, had a .373 batting average, was walked 30 times, was hit by a pitch 22 times, was struck out 19 times, scored 67 runs, had 26 RBIs, and had a fielding percentage of .963… I also dated more girls than I care to mention.
*******
Anyway, congrats to Coach Hatley on win number 400 (and after beating Stratford on Tuesday and Fort Dorchester on Wednesday... congrats on wins 401 and 402).

Here is a picture from the night of win #400. Notice the spot where my brother Kevin isn’t standing because he didn’t want to drive down for the game.



Have you ever been in a situation where you find out that the person you are talking to doesn’t know someone who you think is famous? Happens to me every time I meet someone who doesn’t know me... but that’s not my point. The other day I said something about Andy Stanley and my Aunt looked at me like I was stupid and said “You mean Charles Stanley”. I didn’t, I meant Andy Stanley... and she had NO CLUE who I was talking about. None. I don’t know why, but stuff like this shocks me. I mean, to be honest I didn’t know about him either until I met his BIGGEST FAN EVER. Still, it threw me off.

Friends, I’m planning on going to my new favorite church this Sunday. Speaking of church, I have a new favorite song... PRAY FOR YOU by Jaron and The Long Road to Love. This is the kind of song I wish I had written. You have to go buy it NOW. Great stuff.

Chase Towne Update: from his dad on March 21: Chase is doing fine. His appetite is better each day and his stamina improves daily as well. Chase is getting his 6th tooth in finally. The Chemo has slowed this process, but he makes do just fine with just 5 teeth. He is finally getting some hair back on his head, just in time for them to shave it for surgery on the 31st. Yesterday, marked 11 months in Chase's journey. It has been a long journey, we truly appreciate all of the outpouring of love for our Miracle baby. We have been and continue to be blessed by each of you. Your prayers, love and support is felt daily. Thank You! Please pray for continued strength as Chase prepares for the next surgery.

From his dad on March 23: Thankful to say all is "normal" Chase has gained most of his weight back, thankfully he ate three helpings of rice, gravy and corn tonight. After seeing the two of them together the last week or so, I would say Olivia is the best medicine for Chase. He worships the ground she walks and she takes good care of him. Thank you for the continued prayers and support of our "Miracle Baby."

Cleveland Cavs Update: The Cavs are still the best team in the NBA.

James Island Trojans Update: The Trojans (9-1, 1-0) are at Goose Creek on Friday night (6:00 game time).

Winthrop Eagles Update: The Eagles Baseball team is now 12-8 after falling to The Citadel last night. The Eagles are at home this weekend for a three game series against High Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment