Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, June 7, 2010

Getting to know me – Part I

What went on the year I was born...

I was born January 21, 1979 in Charleston, South Carolina. Super Bowl XIII was that night... The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Dallas Cowboys 35-31 setting me on the path of being a Steelers fan and not a Cowboys fan (thank God).

My sister cried... she wanted a sister, not another brother.

“Sonny” probably showed no emotion.

The United States and the People’s Republic of China established full diplomatic relations.

Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran fled Iran (who could blame him?)

Former US Attorney General John Mitchell was released on parole after 19 months in a federal prison in Alabama.

Brenda Ann Spencer opened fire at a school in San Diego, California killing 2 faculty members and wounding 8 students. Her response to the action, “I don’t like Mondays,” (who does, I ask) inspired the Boomtown Rats to make a song with that title (I very good song, if I do say so myself... and I do).

Patty Hearst had her sentence commuted by US President Jimmy Carter.

Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini returned to Tehran, Iran after 15 years of exile.

Supporters of Khomeini take over Iran.

Pluto was still a planet.

Following her 1972 sex reassignment surgery, musician Wendy Carlos legally changes her name from Walter. She later reveals this information in an interview in the May 1979 issue of Playboy Magazine. This freaks out most men and causes sales of Playboy to drop drastically (… ok, I made that part up).

Mr. Ed, the talking horse, died.

President Anwar Sadat of Egypt and Prime Minister Menachem Begin of Israel sign a peace treaty.

The nuclear power plant accident at Three Mile Island happens.

The Nickelodeon Television Channel launches at The Pinwheel Network.

Margaret Thatcher becomes the new British prime minister.

John Spenkelink is executed in Florida, in the first use of the electric chair in America after the reintroduction of death penalty in 1976.

A Disco Demolition Night publicity stunt goes awry at Comiskey Park, forcing the Chicago White Sox to forfeit their game against the Detroit Tigers.

Carmine Galante, boss of the Bonanno crime family, is assassinated.

Saddam Hussein becomes president of Iraq.

The first British nudist beach is established in Brighton.

Raymond Washington, co-founder of the Crips, is shot and killed.

Michael Jackson releases his album Off The Wall, which included the great song “Don’t Stop ‘til You Get Enough”.

Chrysler Corporation asks the US government for $1 billion to avoid bankruptcy.

The comic strip For Better of For Worse begins its run.

ESPN debuts.

Iran hostage crisis begins.

French police shoot gangster Jacques Mesrine in Paris… leading people all over the world to say, “The French know how to shoot guns?”

Edward Kennedy announces that he will challenge President Jimmy Carter for the 1980 Democratic presidential nomination… stating that 10 years after killing someone is long enough to wait before running for president. Okay, he didn’t state that.

The World premiere for Star Trek: The Motion Picture is held at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC.

The eradication of the smallpox virus is certified, making smallpox the first and to date only human disease driven to extinction.

The Soviet Union invades Afghanistan.

Mother Teresa won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Notable Births (other than me):

Chris Smith (of Kris Kross fame)
Drew Brees
Jesse Spencer (Dr. Chase from House)
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Kevin Youkilis (of the Red Sox)
Heath Ledger
Keshia Knight Pulliam (Rudy Huxtable)
Kate Hudson
Tracy McGrady
LaDainian Tomlinson
Jamal Lewis
Coco Crisp (baseball player)
Kourtney Kardashian
Ron Artest
Lamar Odom
Cote de Pablo (Ziva from NCIS) – You will remember, of course, that the NCIS personality quiz I took said that I am most like Ziva. You will also remember, I’m sure, that The Wife hates Ziva.

Notable Deaths:
Nelson Rockefeller
John Wayne
Thurman Munson
Walter O’Malley

Notable Singles:
I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
Reunited – Peaches & Herb
Hot Stuff – Donna Summer
My Sharona – The Knack
Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough – Michael Jackson
Heartache Tonight – The Eagles
Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen
The Devil Went Down to Georgia – Charlie Daniels Band
Do That To Me One More Time – Captain & Tennille
The Gambler – Kenny Rogers
Highway to Hell – AC/DC
In the Navy – Village People
The Long Run – The Eagles
Rapper’s Delight – The Sugarhill Gang
I Don’t Like Mondays – The Boomtown Rats

No comments:

Post a Comment