Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, June 5, 2010

Happy Birthday Danny! Goodbye Coach Wooden

Let me start off by wishing my good friend Danny a very special Happy Birthday. Danny, as you know, is an avid reader of I’m just sayin… and was kind enough to find me the Oklahoma quarter I was missing. Danny is also a founding member of a yet-to-be-named church consulting firm (along with myself and our friend KC). Happy Birthday, Danny.

Friends, I’m sure you’ve seen by now that Coach John Wooden passed away last night. He was 99 years old. I’m not going to sit here and tell you he was a saint, because frankly I didn’t know the man. What I will tell you is very few coaches (the good ones, at least) in any sport do not use something learned from Coach Wooden. Maybe it’s something they got from one of his books, or maybe it’s something they picked up from a story being told by one of his former players… whatever it is, I’d say a large majority of coaches use something learned from Coach Wooden.

My favorite thing to do is hear Bill Walton talk about Coach Wooden (and Bill Walton loves to talk… he also seems to enjoy specifically talking about Coach Wooden). One story (and I think I’m telling this right) is about when Walton was playing at UCLA. He was a big star (and he knew it) so he decided he was going to test the rules. Coach Wooden had a “no long hair” policy and Walton showed up to practice with long hair. Coach told him to cut it. Walton said no… I have a right to have my hair as long as I want. Coach said, “Bill, you’re right. We sure are going to miss you this season”. Walton cut his hair.

The thing that I’ve always heard from former UCLA players is that Coach Wooden probably taught them more about life than he did basketball. To me, that’s what a great does. Of course, he did win a few games along the way as a coach, too. ;)

I will be busy (on vacation) the early part of next week helping my Dad do manly type stuff (you know, outside type work where you sweat and don’t play on the internet all day) so I’m not sure how much time I will have to post. Therefore, we will not have a “live” posting on Monday or Tuesday of next week. Instead, I will be posting a “getting to know me” series that is pre-written. If you want any live updates on me while I am away, you may follow me on twitter (I might tweet something) or you can text me (I might respond).

No comments:

Post a Comment