Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, August 11, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE WIFE!!!!!!!!!!

Today is a special day for I’m just sayin... because today is the day that The Wife turns 30!! So let’s get to 30 things about The Wife:

1. Her real name is Jennifer.
2. She gave herself the nickname “The Wife” when she signed up to spy... er... follow me on here.
3. Our friend Jenn from Courtyard was the first to text The Wife to wish her a Happy 30th Birthday.
4. Too bad she did it on The Wife’s 29th Birthday. Ouch. (****NOTE: This caused "Our" friend Jenn to become just "My" friend Jenn. The Wife now has a feud with Jenn the likes of which hasn't been seen since the Adrian/Greg feud... which, as you know, is a thing of the past. Maybe I'm just sayin... will be able to end this feud the way we ended the Adrian/Greg feud. It shouldn't be hard. After all, these two ladies were born with the name Jennifer Leigh... what are the odds of that?****)
5. The Wife is a first generation South Carolinian.
6. Her 14th Birthday was the last day before the Baseball Strike of ’94-’95.
7. She teaches the Special Needs Sunday School Class at Bethany United Methodist Church (at one time, she was the only teacher... she has since, thank God, found some great people to help).
8. She stole my heart the first time I saw her.
9. I believe she is physically incapable of laughing at my jokes in public. (I don’t blame her... I think this is something all women are born with... once the “I do’s” are said, women stop laughing at their husband’s jokes in public and, instead, roll their eyes whenever their husband says something funny).
10. She was in the marching band at Fort Dorchester.
11. She was absolutely, without a doubt, 100% sure she wanted our first girl to be named Madison.
12. She changed her mind around November 2005.
13. She really loved my Granny and my MaMa.
14. They really loved her, too.
15. I’m pretty sure she would have loved my Da (and I know he would have loved her).
16. She has a passion for helping children with special needs.
17. She talks in her sleep.
18. I can’t just tell her to shut-up when she does it because sometimes she’s really awake (oops... found that out the hard way).
19. She has hit me in her sleep.
20. I’m pretty sure she was sleeping.
21. I have to give her credit... she is the reason we have Maverick.
22. She is to blame for us having Donkey.
23. She loves to visit the zoo in Columbia to see the Llama (as do I).
24. President Jimmy Carter defeated Senator Edward Kennedy to win the Democratic nomination 3 days after The Wife was born.
25. I would not have my MBA if not for The Wife.
26. Shortly after she turned 3 months old, a then-record number of viewers (for an entertainment program) watched Dallas to learn who shot J.R.
27. “Magic” by Olivia Newton-John was the #1 single when The Wife was born.
28. Some other people born in 1980: Julius Peppers, Jason Segel, Wilmer Valderrama, Tony Romo, Venus Williams, Jessica Simpson, & Chelsea Clinton.
29. Some people who died in 1980: John Lennon, Bon Scott, Jesse Owens, Alfred Hitchcock, Steve McQueen, Colonel Sanders, & John Bonham.
30. The top grossing film of 1980 was The Empire Strikes Back ($538,375,067) followed by 9 to 5 ($103,290,500).

So there you have it. 30 things about The Wife. If you are reading this after 7:00 on August 11, then we are probably at the Hootie and The Blowfish concert having a great time.

Happy Birthday Jennifer! I love you!


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Major William E. Adams received his Medal of Honor for his actions in Vietnam on May 25, 1971. His citation reads:

Maj. Adams distinguished himself on 25 May 1971 while serving as a helicopter pilot in Kontum Province in the Republic of Vietnam. On that date, Maj. Adams volunteered to fly a lightly armed helicopter in an attempt to evacuate 3 seriously wounded soldiers from a small fire base which was under attack by a large enemy force. He made the decision with full knowledge that numerous antiaircraft weapons were positioned around the base and that the clear weather would afford the enemy gunners unobstructed view of all routes into the base. As he approached the base, the enemy gunners opened fire with heavy machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and small arms. Undaunted by the fusillade, he continued his approach determined to accomplish the mission. Displaying tremendous courage under fire, he calmly directed the attacks of supporting gunships while maintaining absolute control of the helicopter he was flying. He landed the aircraft at the fire base despite the ever-increasing enemy fire and calmly waited until the wounded soldiers were placed on board. As his aircraft departed from the fire base, it was struck and seriously damaged by enemy anti-aircraft fire and began descending. Flying with exceptional skill, he immediately regained control of the crippled aircraft and attempted a controlled landing. Despite his valiant efforts, the helicopter exploded, overturned, and plummeted to earth amid the hail of enemy fire. Maj. Adams' conspicuous gallantry, intrepidity, and humanitarian regard for his fellow man were in keeping with the most cherished traditions of the military service and reflected utmost credit on him and the U S. Army.

Sergeant Joseph B. Adkinson received his Medal of Honor for his actions in France on September 29, 1918. His citation reads:

When murderous machinegun fire at a range of 50 yards had made it impossible for his platoon to advance, and had caused the platoon to take cover Sgt. Adkinson alone, with the greatest intrepidity, rushed across the 50 yards of open ground directly into the face of the hostile machinegun kicked the gun from the parapet into the enemy trench, and at the point of the bayonet captured the 3 men manning the gun. The gallantry and quick decision of this soldier enabled the platoon to resume its advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment