Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, September 23, 2010

And the winner will be....

But before we get to football, I need to catch you up on Chase Towne. This update was sent on 9/17/10... sorry I’m so late in passing it on to you:

Chase is doing well! He has enjoyed his summer and is enjoying "school" even more. Our Church has a preschool program that Chase goes to from 9 to 12 two days a week. This has been a unbelievable blessing as he has matured in many ways in just two short weeks. This time last year we would have never thought he would be well enough to go to "school" this year. Chase went to his regular pediatrician last week to get caught up on some vaccinations. We are happy to report he is in the 94th percentile in height and weight. Both of these are supposed to be stunted by the chemotherapy he received. We are extremely thankful! Chase has a busy week next week. Starting Tuesday he will have three full days of scans and test. This time will be a little more painful for Chase because he does not have a Brvoviac line any more. They will have to stick him to get an IV started. Chase has come a long way and if you saw him today, you would have no idea what he has gone thru. The anxiety of these scans is settling in for Christine and I. But we will continue to take it one day at a time and pray for good results! Several people have asked us for a copy of the DVD we shared at Chase's concert in August. You can see this by going to www.youtube.com and searching for "Chase's Journey" We will keep you updated as next week unfolds. Thank you for all of the continued support of our "Miracle Baby" Please pray for safe scans and good results next week. Much love and appreciation, Chuck and Christine

For any of you too lazy to search for the video (I’m not judging) just click here.

One more thing before we get to the picks. Did anyone see the Duke game last Saturday? Wow... it must be hard being a Duke fan after that! Of course, to a trained eye like mine, it was obvious why the Blue Devils got crushed. Every time a Duke defensive player got touched, he flopped trying to draw a charge. Guess they spent too much time watching the basketball team...

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

Thursday Night
James Island at Ashley Ridge 7:30pm (WMMP) - JI by 7... I’m going to try to make it to this game. Not sure if I’ll be able to since I’ll have both of the girls with me (and I have a somewhat strict policy against going out in public alone with both girls).

Friday Night
Summerville at Stratford – Summerville by 14
Goose Creek at Fort Dorchester – Goose Creek by 6

Saturday
#12 USC at #17 Auburn 7:45 (ESPN) – This should be a great game. The Revolutionary War Heroes are facing a beat-up Auburn team. The Tigers are at home and USC is having to deal with the news that its all-time leading receiver (Kenny McKinley) has died in an apparent suicide. Hard to tell how this one will go. I’m going to say USC by 1.

Charleston Southern at Hawaii 11:30PM – I would like to pick CSU... but I just can’t. Hawaii by 14.

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Tampa Bay 1:00pm (TBD) – Look for the Steelers Defense to win another game... Pittsburgh by 7.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Abraham K. Arnold (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 10, 1864 at Davenport Bridge, Virginia. His citation reads:

By a gallant charge against a superior force of the enemy, extricated his command from a perilous position in which it had been ordered.

Signal Quartermaster Matthew Arther (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 6 and 14, 1862 at Forts Henry and Donelson. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Carondelet at the reduction of Forts Henry and Donelson, 6 and 14 February 1862 and other actions. Carrying out his duties as signal quartermaster and captain of the rifled bow gun, S/Q.M. Arther was conspicuous for valor and devotion, serving most faithfully, effectively and valiantly.

Sergeant First Class Eugene Ashley, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 6 and 7, 1968 near Lang Vei, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

Sfc. Ashley, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity while serving with Detachment A-101, Company C. Sfc. Ashley was the senior special forces Advisor of a hastily organized assault force whose mission was to rescue entrapped U.S. special forces advisors at Camp Lang Vei. During the initial attack on the special forces camp by North Vietnamese army forces, Sfc. Ashley supported the camp with high explosive and illumination mortar rounds. When communications were lost with the main camp, he assumed the additional responsibility of directing air strikes and artillery support. Sfc. Ashley organized and equipped a small assault force composed of local friendly personnel. During the ensuing battle, Sfc. Ashley led a total of 5 vigorous assaults against the enemy, continuously exposing himself to a voluminous hail of enemy grenades, machine gun and automatic weapons fire. Throughout these assaults, he was plagued by numerous booby-trapped satchel charges in all bunkers on his avenue of approach. During his fifth and final assault, he adjusted air strikes nearly on top of his assault element, forcing the enemy to withdraw and resulting in friendly control of the summit of the hill. While exposing himself to intense enemy fire, he was seriously wounded by machine gun fire but continued his mission without regard for his personal safety. After the fifth assault he lost consciousness and was carried from the summit by his comrades only to suffer a fatal wound when an enemy artillery round landed in the area. Sfc. Ashley displayed extraordinary heroism in risking his life in an attempt to save the lives of his entrapped comrades and commanding officer. His total disregard for his personal safety while exposed to enemy observation and automatic weapons fire was an inspiration to all men committed to the assault. The resolute valor with which he led 5 gallant charges placed critical diversionary pressure on the attacking enemy and his valiant efforts carved a channel in the overpowering enemy forces and weapons positions through which the survivors of Camp Lang Vei eventually escaped to freedom. Sfc. Ashley's bravery at the cost of his life was in the highest traditions of the military service, and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment