Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Night Lights

Good News! There is still time to give to the Memory Walk.

Some of you have received an email or two from me asking you to donate. Let me assure you that this will not stop until you give. Listen, I’m not trying to be mean or anything... it’s just I’ve set my goal ($1,000) and I intend to reach it. I’ve never failed at anything before and I don’t plan to start now. Ok, that’s not entirely true... I did fail Calculus in college, but to be fair my professor was from Vietnam and I couldn’t understand what she was saying. Not to get off subject, but I’m not 100% sure she was on our side during the Vietnam War. Anyway, I’m not even sure failing Calculus even counts as failing something since I’m pretty sure we all know Calculus is just something math nerds made up to make them feel superior to the rest of us. So I think it's safe to say I’ve never failed anything. The Memory Walk is being held on October 23, but I'd like to reach my goal by the 17th. Time is running out... please help me.

In other news, I downloaded Darius Rucker’s new album “Charleston, SC 1966”. I like every song on it (even love a lot of them). It gets the I’m just sayin... music recommendation of the week.

I’m currently reading Death To The BCS by Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter, and Jeff Passan. I’m about halfway through chapter 4 but so far this is looking like a must read for all you college football fans out there. What I would like to see is someone come out with a book in response to this book. I would be interested to read a response because it looks like these guys really did their homework. Even though I’m not done with it, I’m going to give it the I’m just sayin... book recommendation of the week.

Today is the first official day of practice for college basketball (also known as week 3 of practice for Coastal basketball). I can’t wait for the season to start!

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

Friday Night
James Island vs. Goose Creek. I’m going to be honest here, I love the Trojans but I don’t like their chances tonight against Goose Creek. I’m picking Goose Creek to win by 17.

Summerville at Wando – This should be a pretty good game. Summerville is coming off a big win over JI and I don’t think Wando will be able to stop the Green Wave. Summerville by 7.

Fort Dorchester vs. West Ashley – I’m going with West Ashley by 6.

Ashley Ridge vs. Beaufort – Home field advantage should be good enough to help Ashley Ridge pull out a 3 point win.

Dorman vs. Mauldin – I know what kind of feeder system Dorman has and yet I still like Dorman in this game by 10. Oh, did you know Dorman has the 3rd largest campus in the state (behind only USC and Clemson)? It’s possible that isn’t true at all, but I saw a picture of the school when I was trying to find their schedule and WOW... they’ve got a big school. Also, an alert reader informed me that it’s the Dorman Cavaliers and not the Dorman Doormats. I haven’t had a chance to confirm this, and let’s be honest here... the Dorman Doormats rolls off the tongue a lot better than the Dorman Cavaliers.

Saturday
#10 USC at Kentucky 6:00pm (ESPN2) – This game has all the markings of a “trap game” for a number of reasons. #1 The Revolutionary War Heroes are coming off a huge win at home over Alabama. #2 This game is on the road and USC’s QB hasn’t done too great in SEC road games. #3 No USC fans have donated to the Memory Walk yet. Still, they are playing Kentucky (in football) and I just can’t pick Kentucky to win a football game. I say the Revolutionary War Heroes will win this one by 10. I’m not sure what my schedule will be like Saturday night, but if any of my USC friends would like to invite me over to their house to watch the game... I might be able to make it.

Clemson vs. Maryland 12:00pm (WCSC) – Clemson will have to show me something before I can pick them to win another game. These games have been close the past few years (which is better than the butt-kicking Maryland gave Clemson back in 1992... My goodness what a bad day that was... oh, that noise you hear is Sonny yelling “Amen!”). So I’m picking Maryland by 3. I remember growing up it seemed like this game decided the ACC championship every year. I miss those days.

Navy vs. SMU 3:45pm – I look for Navy to build off of their win at Wake Forest and beat SMU by 3.

CSU vs. Gardner-Webb 1:30pm – The Bucs are looking for their first Big South win of the year. I think they’ll get it this Saturday. CSU by 10.

Sunday
Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland 1:00pm (CBS... not sure if it’ll be on in this area) – Big Ben is back and I look for the Steelers offense to get rolling. Steelers over the Browns by 13.

Miami at Green Bay 1:00pm (CBS... again, not sure if it’ll be on in this area) – It’s not easy to win at Green Bay, but I think the Dolphins will be able to do it. Miami by 3.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant James E. Bailey (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions in the Winter of 1872-1873. His citation reads:

Gallant conduct during campaigns and engagements with Apaches.

Major Kenneth D. Bailey (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 12-13, 1942 at Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands. His citation reads:

For extraordinary courage and heroic conduct above and beyond the call of duty as Commanding Officer of Company C, 1st Marine Raider Battalion, during the enemy Japanese attack on Henderson Field, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 12-13 September 1942. Completely reorganized following the severe engagement of the night before, Maj. Bailey's company, within an hour after taking its assigned position as reserve battalion between the main line and the coveted airport, was threatened on the right flank by the penetration of the enemy into a gap in the main line. In addition to repulsing this threat, while steadily improving his own desperately held position, he used every weapon at his command to cover the forced withdrawal of the main line before a hammering assault by superior enemy forces. After rendering invaluable service to the battalion commander in stemming the retreat, reorganizing the troops and extending the reverse position to the left, Maj. Bailey, despite a severe head wound, repeatedly led his troops in fierce hand-to-hand combat for a period of 10 hours. His great personal valor while exposed to constant and merciless enemy fire, and his indomitable fighting spirit inspired his troops to heights of heroic endeavor which enabled them to repulse the enemy and hold Henderson Field. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

Brigadier General Absalom Baird (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 1, 1864 at Jonesboro, Georgia. His citation reads:

Voluntarily led a detached brigade in an assault upon the enemy's works.

No comments:

Post a Comment