Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, November 22, 2010

Clemson/Carolina Football (and Baby 3 is a.........)

We went to the doctor today to find out if Baby 3 is a he or a she. But before we get to that, let me just say that The Wife and I had a great time at the Harry Potter movie last night. If you haven’t seen the other Harry Potter movies, don’t see this one (it probably won’t make sense). But if you have seen them, go see this one. I thought it was great. I’d say it went along with the book about 90% of the time. There were some changes here and there but nothing overly drastic. For any of you Star Wars fans out there (and really, who isn't a Star Wars fan?) the end of this movie reminded me a lot of The Empire Strikes Back in that the "bad guys" seem to be on a roll right now and the movie ends with things not looking too great for the "good guys".  Anyway, I can’t wait for Part 2 which should be jam packed with action.

If you remember, this is the week last year that I posted things from different games in the Clemson/Carolina (or Carolina/Clemson) rivalry. I will do the same thing this year (minus the videos, because I don’t have time to look them up and a lot of you can’t view them anyway). Some of these I talked about last year. Some of this might sound familiar (because I said it word for word last year... hello cut and paste). But really, it’s not like the games changed... so why should my summary? And as proof that I don’t really plan things out for this blog... now would be a great time to post the All-Time teams for each school. Doh!

Today we’ll take a trip down memory lane and look at the best season for each school:

CLEMSON: November 21, 1981. Coach Danny Ford took his undefeated, #2 ranked Clemson Tigers down to Columbia to face Coach Jim Carlen’s Revolutionary War Heroes. The Revolutionary War Heroes wanted nothing more than to give the Tigers their first loss of the season in front of 56,971 fans (plus the tv audience). The Tigers would have none of it as they used a punishing ground game to rush for 254 yards and 3 TDs to win 29-13. The Tigers would go on to beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl to end their season as National Champions with a 12-0 record (6-0 in the ACC). Two major wins for the Tigers that year (other than the Orange Bowl win) came against Georgia (final AP ranking #6) and North Carolina (final AP ranking #9). The Revolutionary War Heroes ended their season with a loss at Hawaii to give them a final record of 6-6.

CAROLINA: November 24, 1984. Perhaps the greatest year in USC football history. If not the greatest, it’s at least around the top of the list. The week before this big game, the Revolutionary War Heroes were ranked #2 with a very good shot at #1. All they had to do was take care of Navy on the road and then travel to Death Valley to crush the Tigers. It shouldn’t be a problem… the Revolutionary War Heroes had already beaten #12 Georgia and #11 Florida State. So of course, Navy won 38-21. The Revolutionary War Heroes were able to pull things together in time to beat the Tigers on ESPN 22-21. The Tigers would end the season with a 7-4 record (5-2 in the ACC). The Revolutionary War Heroes would go on to lose to Oklahoma State in the Gator Bowl to end the season with a 10-2 record (the only 10 win season in USC football history). The Revolutionary War Heroes would also come in at #11 in the final AP poll.

Oh, almost forgot... Baby #3 is a boy.  Maybe tomorrow we will look at awesome boy names The Wife has already said no to.

The Winthrop Eagles Update The Eagles play Wake Forest tonight.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

Friday Night
Summerville vs. Lexington – I picked Summerville. I was wrong. Summerville lost 14-45.

Ashley Ridge at Northwestern – I picked Northwestern. I was right! Northwestern won 49-35.

Fort Dorchester at Dorman – I picked Dorman and I was right!!! Dorman won 49-28.

Saturday
#17 USC vs Troy – I picked USC and boy was I right! The Revolutionary War Heroes won this one 69-24.

Clemson at Wake Forest – I told you Clemson would play great and win (since the game wasn’t on TV). I was right! The Tigers won 30-10.

Navy vs. Arkansas State – I picked Navy... and I was right! Navy won 35-19.

CSU at Coastal Carolina – I picked CSU and boy was I wrong. The only way I could have been more wrong is if I’d picked a team that wasn’t even playing. CSU lost 70-3.

Sunday
Pittsburgh vs. Oakland – I picked the Steelers and I was right! Pittsburgh won 35-3.

Miami – Again, I missed picking the Miami game. The Dolphins lost 0-16 to Chicago this past Thursday night.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Colonel Hiram Iddings Bearss (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 17, 1901 at the junction of the Cadacan and Sohoton Rivers, Samar, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism and eminent and conspicuous conduct in battle at the junction of the Cadacan and Sohoton Rivers, Samar, Philippine Islands, 17 November 1901. Col. Bearss (then Capt.), second in command of the columns upon their uniting ashore in the Sohoton River region, made a surprise attack on the fortified cliffs and completely routed the enemy, killing 30 and capturing and destroying the powder magazine, 40 lantacas (guns), rice, food and cuartels. Due to his courage, intelligence, discrimination and zeal, he successfully led his men up the cliffs by means of bamboo ladders to a height of 200 feet. The cliffs were of soft stone of volcanic origin, in the nature of pumice, and were honeycombed with caves. Tons of rocks were suspended in platforms held in position by vine cables (known as bejuco) in readiness to be precipitated upon people below. After driving the insurgents from their position which was almost impregnable, being covered with numerous trails lined with poison spears, pits, etc., he led his men across the river, scaled the cliffs on the opposite side, and destroyed the camps there. Col. Bearss and the men under his command overcame incredible difficulties and dangers in destroying positions which, according to reports from old prisoners, had taken 3 years to perfect, were held as a final rallying point, and were never before penetrated by white troops. Col. Bearss also rendered distinguished public service in the presence of the enemy at Quinapundan River, Samar, Philippine Islands, on 19 January 1902.

Seaman Harry C. Beasley (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 21, 1914 on the USS Florida. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Florida for extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession during the seizure of Vera Cruz, Mexico, 21 April 1914.

Captain Alexander M. Beatty (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 5, 1864 at Cold Harbor, Virginia. His citation reads:

Removed, under a hot fire, a wounded member of his command to a place of safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment