Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Memory Lane visits to 1977 and 1992

Clemson: November 19, 1977. Two words… The. Catch. Coach Charley Pell took his Clemson Tigers down to Columbia to battle Coach Jim Carlen’s USC Revolutionary War Heroes. The Tigers came in as the favorite with a #15 ranking. The Revolutionary War Heroes weren’t about to just roll over for the Tigers, however. Late in the 4th quarter the Tigers found themselves behind with time running out. I think you know what happened next. With 49 seconds left in the game, Clemson QB Steve Fuller dropped back and launched a 20 yard pass over the head of WR Jerry Butler... BUT WAIT! Butler dives BACKWARDS AND CATCHES THE PASS to give the Tigers a 31-27 victory! The Tigers would go on to lose to Pitt in the Gator Bowl ending their season with an 8-3-1 ranking (4-1-1 in the ACC). The Tigers ended the season ranked #19 in the AP poll. The Revolutionary War Heroes season ended the next week on the road at Hawaii giving them a 5-7 record for the year.

USC: November 21, 1992. 2 words… Steve. Tannyhill. This was a big year for USC. After going 6-5 in 1990 (including a loss to The Citadel) and going 3-6-2 in 1991 (including ties with Duke and Louisiana Tech and a loss to East Carolina) the Revolutionary War Heroes earned a bid to join the mighty SEC in 1992. Coach Sparky Woods and his Revolutionary War Heroes got off to a slow start in 1992 with 5 straight losses (damn that East Carolina) but after Freshman QB Steve Tannyhill led a player revolt USC got things turned around winning 4 of their next 5 to set up this game. The Revolutionary War Heroes were also out for a little revenge as they had not beaten the Tigers in four years. As an added bonus, they had a chance to hand Clemson its first losing season in a long time. The game was in Death Valley and the Revolutionary War Heroes took it to the Tigers. USC won the game 24-13 with Steve Tannyhill “signing” his name on the Tiger Paw in the middle of the field making him at once the most loved and most hated person in the state. The win gave USC a final record of 5-6 (3-5 in the SEC). The Tigers ended their year with a final record of 5-6 (3-5 in the ACC).

Now let me tell you a story about our visit to the doctor’s office this past Monday. I’ll skip the wait and start with when we get back in the room and we're looking at the ultrasound. Before we start, the lady asks if we have any feelings on what we’re having. The Wife says “no”, but I say we’ve got it narrowed down to either a boy or a girl. She smiled. I’m sure she’s heard that joke before, but I thought my delivery was good enough for a laugh. The Wife just rolled her eyes. Anyway, the show begins and all eyes go to the screen. I'm not paying too much attention because every ultrasound I've ever seen (which includes, but is not limited to: the ultrasound of when The Wife was pregnant with Mary Ruth, the ultrasound of when The Wife was pregnant with Susie, and the ultra sound of Susie's head a month or so ago) looks pretty much the same. So I'm looking but I'm not really looking. The Wife wants to know right away if we're having a boy or a girl... so the lady in there takes her sweet time getting to that part (which made me laugh). Anyway, she’s going over the heart and all that other stuff and saying everything looks good (which made me happy) and then she says “You’re having a boy”. The Wife asks, “Are you sure?” and the woman says, “Oh yeah... there’s NO DOUBT... I’m as sure as I can be...” and she goes on and on to the point that I’m sitting there thinking get a hold of yourself lady and act like you’ve seen one of those before. Of course, then I was thinking, “Good for you, Sport... not even born yet and already impressing the ladies”. So Baby #3 has that going for him, which is nice. The rest of the visit consisted of The Wife laughing and saying she doesn’t believe it (so it would appear that I was wrong, I was the only one who thought it came down to either a boy or a girl... she thought girl was the only option). Not much happened the rest of the visit (except me paying the bill... which wasn’t fun). Mary Ruth was excited when we told her she was going to have a little brother. Susie was excited to see Mary Ruth excited (and she seemed to enjoy hearing the news from Mary Ruth). It appears everyone is healthy and happy and that makes me happy.

Baby #3 Name Update: The name Maverick was added to the list of AWESOME names The Wife has said no to.

Winthrop Update: The Eagles lost to Belmont yesterday, 44-71.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Jean J. Beaufort (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 20, 1863 at Port Hudson, Louisiana. His citation reads:

Volunteered to go within the enemy's lines and at the head of a party of 8 destroyed a signal station, thereby greatly aiding in the operations against Port Hudson that immediately followed.

Major/Assistant Adjutant General Eugene B. Beaumont (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 17, 1864 (at Harpeth River, Tennessee) and April 2, 1865 (at Selma, Alabama). His citation reads:

Obtained permission from the corps commander to advance upon the enemy's position with the 4th U.S. Cavalry, of which he was a lieutenant; led an attack upon a battery, dispersed the enemy, and captured the guns. At Selma, Ala., charged, at the head of his regiment, into the second and last line of the enemy's works.

Private Edward J. Bebb (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 16, 1865 at Columbus, Georgia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment