Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Final 4

The I’m just sayin... Top 5 Christmas Movies

5. Fred Claus - 2007 movie staring Vince Vaughn and Paul Giamatti.

4. Frosty the Snowman - 1969 animated television special... classic.

3. A Christmas Story - 1983 movie starring Peter Billingsley, Darren McGavin, Melinda Dillon... and a Red Ryder BB gun.

2. It’s a Wonderful Life - 1946 movie starring James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, and Henry Travers.

1. Christmas Vacation - 1989 CLASSIC movie starring Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo, Randy Quaid, and a bunch of other people (if you really want to know who, then look it up... you’re already on the internet for crying out loud).

(Honorable Mention: Elf - 2003 movie staring Will Ferrell, James Caan, and Zooey Deschanel).

Baby #3 Name Tournament: Here we are... the Final Four. Can’t you just feel the excitement building? Which of these great names is going to advance to the final?:

The Final Four

2 Anthony Winfield Horres
1 David Gregory Horres
I kept this name on the board for as long as I could. The Wife hated (HATED) this name from the beginning... but I really liked it. Anthony, of course, was the name of Michael Corleone’s son. Also the name of my friend Coach Cadden. And it’s also the name of my favorite NCIS character. Knowing all of these reasons that I loved this name, I’m sure you can now see why The Wife hated it so much.

1 Daniel Winfield Horres
2 James Winfield Horres
This is another name I really really really wanted to use for a number of reasons. What better way to remember my beloved James Island than to name my son James? It’s also a great biblical name. This name was also good enough for Captain Kirk. Plus it was the name of my grandfather’s brother (well, one of his brothers... he had a few). They were real close so I thought it would be cool to name our son after him. Of course, Uncle Jimmy and MaMa had somewhat of a love/hate relationship... so I can’t help but picture MaMa rolling her eyes if I were to name our son James. It makes me laugh. And, of course, it’s the name of my dear cousin Jim (who I’ve talked about on here before when talking about the lake house). I told The Wife, what better way for us to get the lake house than to name our son after Jim (James) and Dad (Winfield and Horres)? She pointed out that the lake house isn’t paid for yet. So we had to cross this name off the list.

Winthrop Update: The Eagles are off for the rest of the week.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Chief Boatswain’s Mate James H. Bennett (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898 on board the USS Marblehead. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Marblehead during the cutting of the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Bennett set an example of extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

Private Orren Bennett (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1865 at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag

First Lieutenant Orson W. Bennett (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 30, 1864 at Honey Hill, South Carolina. His citation reads:

After several unsuccessful efforts to recover 3 pieces of abandoned artillery, this officer gallantly led a small force fully 100 yards in advance of the Union lines and brought in the guns, preventing their capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment