Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, December 6, 2010

Round 1 (part 2)

Baby #3 Name Tournament: Final reminder: I have decided to list the baby names we are thinking about, seed them, and have a tournament (much like the NCAA Tournament). You might have already seen some of these names... that’s ok. Just like the real tournament has teams that don’t really have a shot, this tournament will have names that don’t really have a shot. You need to know two things: 1. This isn’t a voting thing... your opinion doesn’t really matter. However, you are welcome to share what names you like. 2. We aren’t 100% sure yet what name we’re going to pick, but we’ve narrowed it down. The names will be broken down into 4 regions. I can’t think of any funny names, so we’ll just call them Region I, Region II, Region III, and Region IV. So, here are the first round results for Regions II and IV:

REGION II
1 David Gregory Horres
16 Carter Electronics Horres
There goes our one big sponsorship opportunity...

8 Joshua Winfield Horres
9 Elijah Winfield Horres
This was a close battle between two Old Testament names... but Elijah just wasn’t a good enough name to move on.

5 Ryne Winfield Horres
12 Solomon Winfield Horres
Solomon was known as the wisest man... but The Wife only knows that Solomon is the name of Ross’ dog.

4 Richard Winfield Horres
13 Cecil Winfield Horres
Cecil is the name of my grandmother’s brother who died young... and CW is a good friend of my Dad. None of this matters to The Wife.

6 Donald Winfield Horres
11 Jethro Winfield Horres
It would appear The Wife does not want our son named after Gibbs from NCIS.

3 Kevin Winfield Horres
14 Robert Winfield Horres
This was in honor of my Uncle Keith (I recently found out his first name is Robert, not Uncle), not a certain preacher most of us know (not that that would be a bad thing). Doesn’t matter to The Wife... she said no to this name.

7 Jonathan Winfield Horres
10 Winston Winfield Horres
The name of a good friend to my Dad. Also the name of perhaps the greatest British leader of all time. The Wife was not impressed.

2 George Winfield Horres, III
15 Magnum Winfield Horres
Magnum may have been seeded too high... though it wouldn’t be a bad name for a LB.

REGION IV
1 David Winfield Horres
16 Santino Winfield Horres
Baby #3 will not be named after Vito Corleone’s oldest son. :(

8 Dallas Gregory Horres
9 Alexander Gary Horres
Another non-Winfield name bites the dust. I thought the name Dallas would fit nicely with my nephew’s name (Austin)... kind of give the boys of that generation a Texas theme.

5 Charles Winfield Horres
12 Jeremy Thomas Horres
Another shot at CW that The Wife shot down... seems she doesn’t like Chuck, Charlie, or any other version of Charles.

4 Russell Winfield Horres
13 Andre Winfield Horres
If Andre Dawson calls to complain, you might see this name come back up.

6 Steven Winfield Horres
11 Thomas Winfield Horres
The Wife doesn’t want to name our son after my high school baseball coach... or after my pledge brother/college roommate.

3 Henry Winfield Horres
14 Mace Winfield Horres
We will not be naming our son after a former Jedi played by Samuel L. Jackson.

7 Peter Winfield Horres
10 Timothy Winfield Horres
Peter seemed to play a pretty big role in the early church. Gotta do more than that to impress The Wife.

2 James Winfield Horres
15 Edward Rossiter Horres
Perhaps the most painful defeat of the tournament. This is a direct quote from The Wife, “I’m not going to name our son after your boyfriend”. Wow... hater.

Winthrop Update: Winthrop lost a close game at Liberty, 72-75. The Eagles next game is Tuesday at Charlotte (7:30pm).

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

Saturday
Dorman vs. Byrnes – For the first time all season, the Doormats let me down. Dorman lost 14-34.

#18 USC vs. #2 Auburn – The game started the way I thought it should for USC to win... but I forgot how hard it would be for them to have to beat Auburn AND the SEC AND the NCAA. In the end, it was just too much for the Revolutionary War Heroes to overcome. USC lost, 17-56. (**Note: To be fair to our Auburn readership, we at I’m just sayin... would like to point out that Cam Newton was cleared by the SEC and the NCAA. Of course, OJ was cleared by a jury but that doesn’t mean he didn’t do it**). ;)

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Baltimore – Hey, I got one right! I picked the Steelers and they won 13-10.

Miami vs. Cleveland – Well, at least I got the Steelers game right. I picked the Dolphins and they let me down. Miami lost 10-13.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Colonel J. Franklin Bell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 9, 1899 near Porac, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

While in advance of his regiment charged 7 insurgents with his pistol and compelled the surrender of the captain and 2 privates under a close fire from the remaining insurgents concealed in a bamboo thicket.

Sergeant James B. Bell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 25, 1863 at Missionary Ridge, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Though severely wounded, was first of his regiment on the summit of the ridge, planted his colors inside the enemy's works, and did not leave the field until after he had been wounded 5 times.

Private James Bell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 9, 1875 at Big Horn, Montana. His citation reads:

Carried dispatches to Gen. Crook at the imminent risk of his life.

1 comment: