Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, December 9, 2010

Round 2 (Part 2)

When did reading comments from Facebook become something a legit news station would do on the local news? Honestly, I don’t really give a crap what little Billy thinks about the possibility of snow for tomorrow.

When is some legit news station going to realize people want to hear what I’ve written on my blog during the local news.

That’s funny… I just heard Lee Corso say that the fact that Auburn and Oregon started the season not ranked in the Top 10, that proves that anyone has a shot to play for a national championship. What a load of crap. Someone ask TCU how much of a shot they had… (***NOTE: I still love Lee Corso.***)

Did you see the news that Sylvester Stallone is going into the Boxing Hall of Fame (along with Mike Tyson, Julio Cesar Chavez, and some other guys I don’t know)? Of course, I did read that some old boxers are upset because Sly isn’t a boxer (“Rocky wasn’t a real boxer”). Well, two things… 1. Sylvester Stallone (not Rocky) is being inducted for contributions to boxing (he’s not being inducted as a boxer); 2. Even if Rocky was being inducted as a boxer, that would be ok. Why? Because if you ask the casual boxing fan to name 3 boxers there is a good chance you’ll get: Ali, Tyson, Balboa. My only real question is what took so long? How great was Rocky? Great enough that most people don’t realize he lost his first match against the champ. Great enough that Rocky IV helped end the Cold War (as well as set sales of high-tech exercise equipment back about a decade). Great enough that people are willing to pretend that Rocky V never happened. I will now point you to a few Bill Simmons articles about Rocky: Which ‘Rocky’ is the real champ?, A Rocky road for Stallone, and A second opinion.

Baby #3 Name Tournament: Now for Round 2 for Regions II and IV. The winners here will move on to the Sweet 16:

REGION II
1 David Gregory Horres
8 Joshua Winfield Horres
Another match-up between Old Testament names… This time Joshua wasn’t good enough to make it.

5 Ryne Winfield Horres
4 Richard Winfield Horres
Looks like we won’t be naming Baby #3 after my baseball hero, Ryne Sandberg.

6 Donald Winfield Horres
3 Kevin Winfield Horres
In a upset of #6 over #3, the name “Kevin” gets cut by The Wife. She claims this does not mean she doesn’t like my big brother (Sonny) or my dear friend KC. Believe her if you want… right now I’m 50/50.

7 Jonathan Winfield Horres
2 George Winfield Horres, III
I’ve known some good Jonathans over the years. The Wife hasn’t.

REGION IV
1 David Winfield Horres
9 Alexander Gary Horres
Looks like we won’t be naming Baby #3 after my ancestor (on my Mom’s side of the family) who fought for the good guys in the War Between The States.

12 Jeremy Thomas Horres
4 Russell Winfield Horres
Rusty is off the list. The Wife was scared that if we named our son after Chevy Chase’s son in the Vacation movies that I would always quote the Vacation movies. Silly Wife, I’m going to do that anyway.

6 Steven Winfield Horres
3 Henry Winfield Horres
The Wife doesn’t want to name our boy after Rebecca’s dad.

10 Timothy Winfield Horres
2 James Winfield Horres
Yet another NCIS character knocked off the list by The Wife.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

Saturday
Navy vs. Army 2:30pm (CBS) – Perhaps the most underappreciated rivalry in college sports. Sure it hasn’t really been much of a rivalry of late as my Navy has owned Sonny’s Army, but the game this season should be a good one. It’s the first time since 1996 that both teams are heading to a bowl game. I’m picking Navy to win this one by 6.

Sunday
Pittsburgh vs. Cincinnati 1:00pm (CBS) – The Steelers need to win this one to hold on to first place (it would also be nice if the Ravens could lose their game). I’m picking the Steelers to win by 7.

Miami at New York Jets 4:15pm (CBS) – Sorry Dolphins fans… I’m going with the J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets. NY will win by 10.

Winthrop Update: Winthrop’s next game is Sunday at home vs. Jacksonville.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Staff Sergeant Stanley Bender (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 17, 1944 near La Lande, France. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. On 17 August 1944, near La Lande, France, he climbed on top of a knocked-out tank, in the face of withering machinegun fire which had halted the advance of his company, in an effort to locate the source of this fire. Although bullets ricocheted off the turret at his feet, he nevertheless remained standing upright in full view of the enemy for over 2 minutes. Locating the enemy machineguns on a knoll 200 yards away, he ordered 2 squads to cover him and led his men down an irrigation ditch, running a gauntlet of intense machinegun fire, which completely blanketed 50 yards of his advance and wounded 4 of his men. While the Germans hurled hand grenades at the ditch, he stood his ground until his squad caught up with him, then advanced alone, in a wide flanking approach, to the rear of the knoll. He walked deliberately a distance of 40 yards, without cover, in full view of the Germans and under a hail of both enemy and friendly fire, to the first machinegun and knocked it out with a single short burst. Then he made his way through the strong point, despite bursting hand grenades, toward the second machinegun, 25 yards distant, whose 2-man crew swung the machinegun around and fired two bursts at him, but he walked calmly through the fire and, reaching the edge of the emplacement, dispatched the crew. Signaling his men to rush the rifle pits, he then walked 35 yards further to kill an enemy rifleman and returned to lead his squad in the destruction of the 8 remaining Germans in the strong point. His audacity so inspired the remainder of the assault company that the men charged out of their positions, shouting and yelling, to overpower the enemy roadblock and sweep into town, knocking out 2 antitank guns, killing 37 Germans and capturing 26 others. He had sparked and led the assault company in an attack which overwhelmed the enemy, destroying a roadblock, taking a town, seizing intact 3 bridges over the Maravenne River, and capturing commanding terrain which dominated the area.

Second Lieutenant George G. Benedict (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 3, 1863 at Gettysburg, Pennslyvania. His citation reads:

Passed through a murderous fire of grape and canister in delivering orders and re-formed the crowded lines.

Hospital Corpsman Third Class Edward C. Benfold(US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 5, 1952 in Korea. His citation reads:

For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving in operations against enemy aggressor forces. When his company was subjected to heavy artillery and mortar barrages, followed by a determined assault during the hours of darkness by an enemy force estimated at battalion strength, HC3c. Benfold resolutely moved from position to position in the face of intense hostile fire, treating the wounded and lending words of encouragement. Leaving the protection of his sheltered position to treat the wounded when the platoon area in which he was working was attacked from both the front and rear, he moved forward to an exposed ridge line where he observed 2 marines in a large crater. As he approached the 2 men to determine their condition, an enemy soldier threw 2 grenades into the crater while 2 other enemy charged the position. Picking up a grenade in each hand, HC3c Benfold leaped out of the crater and hurled himself against the on-rushing hostile soldiers, pushing the grenades against their chests and killing both the attackers. Mortally wounded while carrying out this heroic act, HC3c. Benfold, by his great personal valor and resolute spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of almost certain death, was directly responsible for saving the lives of his 2 comrades. His exceptional courage reflects the highest credit upon himself and enhances the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment