Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, December 13, 2010

Sweet 16 (and Happy Birthday Brent!)

I want to start by wishing my brother-in-law Brent a very happy (day late) birthday! I was “off the grid” yesterday and was unable to contact him to wish him a happy birthday. Anyway, I’m happy Doubting Teri married him... even if I did tell him before the wedding that he didn’t have to marry her for us to stay friends (just kidding... maybe).

I would like to thank Uncle George and Aunt Yvonne for inviting us down to their house Saturday afternoon. Well, Uncle George is the one who invited us (and, between you and me, I’m not even sure Aunt Yvonne would have shown up if The Wife and the girls weren’t coming down with me... oh how the times have changed. There was once a time when I ranked a lot higher on her list. Oh well, at least I’m still in the top 2 of her favorite children) and he invited us so that he could use me and my truck to help him go pick-up a chair... but that’s fine. I have to say it was the lightest/easiest chair I’ve ever helped move (it was big enough that 2 people were needed... but it was easy with two people... and it fit through the door without much trouble). And let’s be honest here, Uncle George knows that I will never turn him down when he calls me for help. Why? Because as his favorite nephew it’s something I’m happy to do. That, and he always feeds me when I come down (and he does my taxes)... but mostly it’s because I’m his favorite. Of course, he wouldn’t say that (because he’s too nice to hurt Sonny’s feelings) but I think we all know that I wouldn’t lie to you. Anyway, The Wife and the girls had a great time (and of course I did). We left well fed (thanks to Alan getting Rob Fowler to bring us pizza... I’m pretty sure he only did this for us, I don’t care what they said on TV) and happy. Oh, and let me say Mary Ruth has gotten a LOT better at the hula hoop... I’m talking a LOT better. Color me impressed.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

Saturday
Navy vs. Army – I picked Navy and (of course) they won. Honestly, this might be the easiest game year in and year out for me to pick and be right. Don’t worry Army fans... at least your offense got into the end zone for the first time against Navy in a loooooooong time. Navy won 31-17.

Sunday
Pittsburgh vs. Cincinnati – I picked the Steelers and I was right. Pittsburgh won 23-7.

Miami at New York Jets – Dear Dolphins fans... I’m sorry. I picked the J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets to win and I was W-R-O-N-G wrong, wrong, wrong. Miami won 10-6.

Baby #3 Name Tournament: It’s time for the Sweet 16. An Analyst from Huger, SC has been running different statistical models trying to figure out what the name will be. Are the models right? I guess we’ll have to wait and see. As for this round, here are the winners:

REGION I

1 Gregory Winfield Horres, Jr.
5 Edward Winfield Horres
Thought I had a chance to use Ross’ first name... but The Wife found out so this name is now off the list.

3 Matthew Winfield Horres
2 Anthony Winfield Horres
The name of a disciple... the name of the first book in the New Testament... Not enough to impress The Wife.

REGION II

1 David Gregory Horres
4 Richard Winfield Horres
The Wife’s grandfather is named Richard. There is a funny story about this name being taken off the list that involves my Dad, Doubting Teri, Brent, and myself... but I highly doubt I’ll ever tell it on here. And the story has nothing to do with the name being taken off the list... that was all The Wife. I liked the name.

6 Donald Winfield Horres
2 George Winfield Horres, III
Honestly, this name got cut because we weren’t 100% sure if the III should be there or not. I said it should because my grandfather, Da, was Sr. and my Dad, Dad, is Jr. therefore Baby #3 would be the 3rd George Winfield Horres. The Wife said it shouldn’t because I’m not George Winfield Horres, Jr. So we compromised and cut the name from the list.

REGION III

1 Daniel Winfield Horres
12 John Gary Horres
I believe this was MaMa’s daddy’s name (and the name of one of her brothers). Also another name of a disciple and book in the New Testament (actually a few books) that The Wife crossed off the list.

3 Michael Winfield Horres
2 Jackson Winfield Horres
Michael... The name of my good friend Michael, husband of my very dear friend Adrian. Also, of course, the name of Michael Corleone. We were all set to use this name, but then Michael (my friend, not Michael Corleone) scheduled our Sunday School Christmas Party on the one day I said I wouldn’t be able to make it. So we crossed it off the list. Haha, just kidding… The Wife crossed it off the list because her brother is named Michael.

REGION IV

1 David Winfield Horres
12 Jeremy Thomas Horres
Named after my good friends and Kappa Sigma Brothers Jeremy and Thomas… I lived with these guys, I partied with these guys, I spent time in jail with these guys (haha… just kidding… or am I? Ok, really… I am kidding). What better way to honor these guys than to name my son after them? The Wife doesn’t know if there’s a better way… but she knows we aren’t going to do it this way.

3 Henry Winfield Horres
2 James Winfield Horres
This was one of the toughest match-ups in the tournament. I liked it for a couple of reasons. One is Henry Aaron. The other is that Henry is an old family name dating back to at least the 1860’s when a Henry Horres took up arms and went to fight the evil yankees from the north who just wouldn’t leave us the hell alone (no offense to The Wife and Jenn). Even knowing that a Henry fought against her people in the War of Northern Aggression, The Wife still liked this name. But in the end, there are just too many Henry Horres’ around. My grandfather’s brother (who, if I remember right, looked a lot like my grandfather… I mean, it was like they were twins… but they weren’t) was named Henry and I think the name is still being used in his branch of the tree. So we had to cross it off the list. I still like the sound of it, though.

Winthrop Update: Winthrop had a great game against Jacksonville yesterday. The Eagles won 73-66.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class George Benjamin, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 21, 1944 at Leyte, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

He was a radio operator, advancing in the rear of his company as it engaged a well-defended Japanese strong point holding up the progress of the entire battalion. When a rifle platoon supporting a light tank hesitated in its advance, he voluntarily and with utter disregard for personal safety left his comparatively secure position and ran across bullet-whipped terrain to the tank, waving and shouting to the men of the platoon to follow. Carrying his bulky radio and armed only with a pistol, he fearlessly penetrated intense machinegun and rifle fire to the enemy position, where he killed 1 of the enemy in a foxhole and moved on to annihilate the crew of a light machinegun. Heedless of the terrific fire now concentrated on him, he continued to spearhead the assault, killing 2 more of the enemy and exhorting the other men to advance, until he fell mortally wounded. After being evacuated to an aid station, his first thought was still of the American advance. Overcoming great pain he called for the battalion operations officer to report the location of enemy weapons and valuable tactical information he had secured in his heroic charge. The unwavering courage, the unswerving devotion to the task at hand, the aggressive leadership of Pfc. Benjamin were a source of great and lasting inspiration to his comrades and were to a great extent responsible for the success of the battalion's mission.

Corporal John F. Benjamin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1865 at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of battle flag of 9th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

First Lieutenant Samuel N. Benjamin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from July 1861 to May 1864 from Bull Run to Spotsylvania, Virginia. His citation reads:

Particularly distinguished services as an artillery officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment