Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, January 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Uncle George!!!! RIP Lucy :(

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE GEORGE!!! Today, as you might have guessed, is my Uncle George’s birthday. In a rather unfortunate twist of fate, Da (my grandfather) and Lucy (my first born dogchild) both died on Uncle George’s birthday. Da died in 1995. Lucy, today… which brings us to…

RIP Lucy. I had to put Lucy down today. Just an FYI… a BB Gun isn’t strong enough to do the job (and it leads to awkward questions from the Vet like “Why does she have a welt the size of a BB on her temple?”). Ok, of course I didn’t shoot her with a BB gun. Here is the real story: The Wife took Lucy to the Vet yesterday. He didn’t say it was time, but he said if we said it was time, he wouldn’t argue. So last night we decided it was time. It sounds like we rushed to this decision, but truth is it’s been coming for some time now… I’ve just done my best to put it off and ignore the signs. But I guess making decisions like this is part of growing up. I didn’t have to make this call for Dach. Dad was the one who decided we would take him to be put down. Of course, Dach had the decency to die before we could take him. God he was the GREATEST DOG EVER. And Lucy was right up there with him. But I’m getting off track (I know, shocking). Lucy had cancer. It was the kind that kept coming back. We operated twice on her and each time it came back faster than it did before. On top of that, she had arthritis all over. She also had an ACL tear that she never really got over. To add insult to injury, she had BAD allergies (more on this later… maybe tomorrow) that caused her to lick her paws until they were raw. Not to pile on, but she also snored… loud. Her last round of cancer came back a while ago. Bottom line, she was in pain and she was falling apart… and it wasn’t going to get any better. Of course, she had her good days (and it was these days that I paid attention to). But we were at the point where the good days were few and far between. I didn’t want her to have to suffer just because ending her pain would make me sad. It wasn’t fair to her. So, last night I gave The Wife a hug and said, “First thing tomorrow I’m going to take Lucy and Scooby to the Vet and let him put them down”. Unfortunately (for me, not Scooby), she was able to hear me through her tears and hit me and tell me not to take Scooby. Anyway, I took Lucy in to the Vet today and… well… the rest, as they say, is history. Just like that, the one who has been with us for all but about a little over 2 months of our marriage is now gone. The Wife has been crying on and off since last night. I’ve had my moments (mainly on the way to and from the Vet). I was worried how Mary Ruth would take it. She has a kind heart and, let’s face it, this is the girl who cried a few months ago because she missed Dach (fyi… Dach died in September 2004, Mary Ruth was born December 2005. You do the math). She took it like a champ. She asked if dogs go to heaven (my answer, “I sure as hell hope so, cause if they don’t then I ain’t going.”… haha, just kidding. I said “I bet they do”). That was good enough for her.

I want to tell you more about Lucy but it’s been a long day and I’m tired. Check back tomorrow or Monday to read some of my memories of her. She will be missed.



Winthrop Update: Winthrop lost a hard fought battle to Charleston Southern. I don’t want to complain about the refs, so I won’t. But if I wanted to, I’d tell you that while I have seen worse… these guys weren’t much better. One guy was good, but he wasn’t good enough to overcome the badness of the other two. But that’s life. Winthrop had some shots go in-and-out and CSU it some shots with a Winthrop player right in their face. It was just one of those games.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Watertender First Class (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 14, 1945 while on board the USS Fletcher. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving on board the U.S.S. Fletcher during action against enemy Japanese forces off Corregidor Island in the Philippines, 14 February 1945. Standing topside when an enemy shell struck the Fletcher, Bigelow, acting instantly as the deadly projectile exploded into fragments which penetrated the No. 1 gun magazine and set fire to several powder cases, picked up a pair of fire extinguishers and rushed below in a resolute attempt to quell the raging flames. Refusing to waste the precious time required to don rescue-breathing apparatus, he plunged through the blinding smoke billowing out of the magazine hatch and dropped into the blazing compartment. Despite the acrid, burning powder smoke which seared his lungs with every agonizing breath, he worked rapidly and with instinctive sureness and succeeded in quickly extinguishing the fires and in cooling the cases and bulkheads, thereby preventing further damage to the stricken ship. Although he succumbed to his injuries on the following day, Bigelow, by his dauntless valor, unfaltering skill and prompt action in the critical emergency, had averted a magazine explosion which undoubtedly would have left his ship wallowing at the mercy of the furiously pounding Japanese guns on Corregidor, and his heroic spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of almost certain death enhanced and sustained the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

Sergeant Richard Binder (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 24-25, 1864 and January 13-15, 1865 on board the USS Ticonderoga. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Ticonderoga during the attacks on Fort Fisher, 24 and 25 December 1864, and 13 to 15 January 1865. Despite heavy return fire by the enemy and the explosion of the 100-pounder Parrott rifle which killed 8 men and wounded 12 more, Sgt. Binder, as captain of a gun, performed his duties with skill and courage during the first 2 days of battle. As his ship again took position on the 13th, he remained steadfast as the Ticonderoga maintained a well-placed fire upon the batteries on shore, and thereafter, as she materially lessened the power of guns on the mound which had been turned upon our assaulting columns. During this action the flag was planted on one of the strongest fortifications possessed by the rebels.

Captain Henry H. Bingham (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 6, 1864 at Wilderness, Virginia. His citation reads:

Rallied and led into action a portion of the troops who had given way under the fierce assaults of the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment