Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Happy Confederate Memorial Day!!!!

I know it’s a good one for me since I was off today. The girls were at daycare so it was just me, The Wife and Daniel at home. It felt good to have the 2-1 advantage again.

So I don’t know if I’ve told you or not, but I’m reading a book about Guns N’ Roses. WOW! They were so crazy that I feel like I should take a shower after just reading about what they did. It’s amazing they didn’t die before their first album hit the stores.

So tonight’s the night! The second-to-last episode of NCIS airs tonight! Count me as one of the millions anxiously awaiting the show tonight. Below is the preview for the episode tonight.



766 - “Sarabeth” by Rascal Flatts

“Six chances in ten it won't come back again/ With the therapy were gonna try/ It's just been approved/ It's the strongest there is/ I think we caught it in time”

A very sweet song about a girl with cancer.

765 - “Tug Of War” by Paul McCartney

“It’s a tug of war/ What with one thing and another/ It’s a tug of war/ We expected more/ But with one thing and another/ We were tryin’ to outdo each other/ In a tug of war”

It is said that the lyrics to this song describe his relationship with Lennon.

764 - “Take Me Home” by Phil Collins

“Take that look of worry/ I'm an ordinary man/ They don't tell me nothing/ So I find out what I can/ There's a fire that's been burning/ Right outside my door/ I can't see but I feel it/ And it helps to keep me warm/ So I, I don't mind/ No I, I don't mind”

763 - “Mad Season” by Matchbox Twenty

“I feel stupid, but I know it won't last for long/ And I've been guessin', and I coulda been guessin' wrong/ You don't know me now, I kinda thought that you should somehow/ Has that whole mad season got ya down?”

762 - “Borderline” by Madonna

“Borderline feels like I'm going to lose my mind/ You just keep on pushing my love over the borderline”

761 - “The Good Stuff” by Kenny Chesney

“He didn't reach around for the whiskey;/ He didn't pour me a beer./ His blue eyes kinda went misty,/ He said: ‘You can't find that here’.”

A nice little song to remind us there’s more to life than alcohol.

760 - “Call Me The Breeze” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

“Call me the breeze/ I keep blowin' down the road/ Well now they call me the breeze/ I keep blowin' down the road/ I ain't got me nobody/ I don't carry me no load”

This is a classic Lynyrd Skynyrd song. I would have thought it would be ranked higher than this, but I guess the votes don’t lie.

759 - “Texas Was You” by Jason Aldean

“Texas was green eyes crying goodbye/ Was a long drive/ A heartache I’m still trying to get through/ Texas was you”

758 - “Be the One” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“I wonder/ Why are we involved/ With the seasons/ And the living of our own/ Let me see if nothing's wrong/ I just want to be the one”

757 - “21 Guns” by Green Day

“Do you know what's worth fighting for?/ When it's not worth dying for?/ Does it take your breath away and you feel yourself suffocating?/ Does the pain weigh out the pride?/ And you look for a place to hide?/ Did someone break your heart inside, you're in ruins”

I love the sound of this song.

756 - “Bad to the Bone” by George Thorogood

“On the day I was born/ The nurses all gathered 'round/ And they gazed in wide wonder/ At the joy they had found/ The head nurse spoke up/ Said ‘leave this one alone’/ She could tell right away/ That I was bad to the bone”

I can’t help but think he was singing about Susie in this song.

755 - “The Last Worthless Evening” by Don Henley

“This is the last worthless evening/ That you'll have to spend/ Just gimme a chance/ To show you how to love again/ This is the last worthless evening/
That you'll have to spend/ 'Cause I'll be there/ When your broken heart is on the mend”

754 - “I Hope They Get To Me in Time” by Darius Rucker

“I can hear the sirens coming/ Smell the gasoline and smoke/ I'm pinned against this steering wheel/ Pretty sure my arm is broke/ I can see the flames and my life/ Flashing right before my eyes/ I hope they get to me in time”

753 - “Stay the Night” by Chicago

“I don't want you to misunderstand me/ I just wanna say what's on my mind./ No need to hit me with an attitude because I haven't got the time./ I want you to know one thing's for certain/ I surely love your company./ And I won't take "no" if that's your answer/ at least that's my philosophy.”

752 - “Foreplay/Long Time” by Boston

“Well I'm takin' my time, I'm just movin' on/ You'll forget about me after I've been gone/ And I take what I find, I don't want no more/ It's just outside of your front door.”

751 - “Kiss My Country Ass” by Blake Shelton

“Tearin' down a dirt road/ Rebel flag flyin'/ Coon dog in the back/ Truck bed loaded down with beer/ And a cold one in my lap/ Earnhart sticker behind my head/ And my woman by my side/ Tail-pipe's poppin'/ The radio's rockin' ‘Country Boy Can Survive’/ If you got a problem with that, ha ha!/ You can kiss my country ass”

750 - “All Out of Love” by Air Supply

“I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you/ I know you were right, believing for so long/ I'm all out of love, what am I without you?/ I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong”

Another Air Supply song that I love… though I’m not sure why.

749 - “Back To Paradise” by .38 Special

“Old Saint Peter at the pearly gate/ Said hurry up boy or you're gonna be late/ Take your mind off your worries for a moment or two/ You gotta rock to the rhythm, it ain't hard to do”

748 - “Misunderstood” by Bon Jovi

“Could I? Should I?/ Apologize for sleeping on the couch that night/ Staying out too late with all of my friends/ You found me passed out in the yard again/ You cried, I tried/ To stretch the truth, but didn't lie/ It's not so bad when you think about it”

747 - “With You, Without You” by Brad Paisley

“And I know you want me to move on./ Start livin' a new life/ Start writin' a new song. / Don't worry, I ain't gonna ask you/ To come back and love me./ Baby you don't have to,/ 'Cause I can be in love with you,/ Without you.”

746 - “Secret Garden” by Bruce Springsteen

“She'll let you in her house/ If you come knockin' late at night/ She'll let you in her mouth/ If the words you say are right/ If you pay the price/ She'll let you deep inside/ But there's a secret garden she hides”

This song became popular after being featured on the soundtrack for the movie Jerry Maguire. I remember some lady friends of mine loved this song when I was a senior in high school. They’d listen to it while we were hanging out at Folly Beach. It’s not really beach music… but these lady friends were hot, so I didn’t mind.

745 - “Roll over Beethoven” by Chuck Berry

“I'm gonna write a little letter,/ Gonna mail it to my local DJ./ It's a rockin' rhythm record/ I want my jockey to play./ Roll Over Beethoven, I gotta hear it again today.”

744 - “Little Rock” by Collin Raye

“I haven't had a drink in 19 days/ My eyes are clear and bright with-out that haze/ I like the preacher from the Church of Christ/ I'm sorry that I cried when I talked to you last night”

743 - “Hell On The Heart” by Eric Church

“She's as pretty as a picture/ Every bit as funny as she is smart/ Got a smile that'll hold you together/ And a touch that'll tear you apart/ When she's yours she brings the sunshine/ When she's gone the world goes dark/ Yeah she's heaven on the eyes/ But boy she's hell on the heart”

742 - “High Hopes” by Frank Sinatra

“But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes”

741 - “Working My Way Back to You” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

“Working my way back to you babe/ With a burning love inside/ Yeah I'm working my way back to you babe/ With a happiness that died/ I let it get away, paying every day”

740 - “I Will Wait” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“Aboard his ship he stops to stare/ Needs to smell her, touch her hair/ Say's ‘I can't be without her’/ Tonight he's going to be without her/ ‘It's late now’, she say's/ Makes her mind up goes to bed/ Another night alone without him/ Another night alone in Charleston”

739 - “Amarillo Sky” by Jason Aldean

“He just takes the tractor another round/ And pulls the plow across the ground/ And sends up another prayer/ He says Lord I never complain I never ask why/ But please don't let my dream run dry/ Underneath, Underneath this/ Amarillo sky”

738 - “Live Those Songs” by Kenny Chesney

“I'd be rollin' on a river with Credence/ Stealin' kisses from Peggy Sue/ I'd be knee-deep in sand on a Panama beach/ In the spring of '72/ I'd be wastin' away on the dock of the bay/ Watchin' the tide roll in/ He said what I wouldn't give just to live those songs again.”

737 - “Holiday” by Madonna

“If we took a holiday/ Took some time to celebrate/ Just one day out of life/ It would be, it would be so nice”

736 - “Only Prettier” by Miranda Lambert

“Well I’ve been saved by the grace of Southern charm/ I got a mouth like a sailor and yours is more like a Hallmark card/ And if you wanna pick a fight/ Well I’m gonna have to say goodnight/ I don’t have to be hateful, I can just say bless your heart”

This song makes me laugh.

735 - “Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake

“Here I go again on my own/ Going down the only road I've ever known.
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone./ And I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time”

Young Greg really wanted this to be in the Top 100. It’s got great lyrics and music. I remember listening to it while riding in the car with Sonny back when he was still in high school.

734 - “Cryin' For Me (Wayman's Song)” by Toby Keith

“Got the news on Friday mornin’/ But a tear I couldn’t find/ You showed me how I’m supposed to live/ And now you showed me how to die/ I was lost till Sunday mornin’/ I woke up to face my fear/ While I’m writing you this goodbye song/ I found a tear”

In my opinion, Toby Keith doesn’t really sing sweet songs that great. He’s much better at funny and/or kick-ass type songs… but sweet songs aren’t really his thing. Having said that, he nailed this song. I mean, this song is just great. It really sounds like this came from the heart.

733 - “Seven Bridges Road (live)” by The Eagles

“There are stars/ In the Southern sky/ Southward as you go/ There is moonlight/ And moss in the trees/ Down the Seven Bridges Road”

I love the beginning of this song when they sing a cappella.

732 - “Long Tall Sally” by The Beatles

“Well, we're gonna have some fun tonight/ Have some fun tonight/ Everything's all right/ Have some fun tonight/ Have some fun/ Yeah, yeah, yeah”

A good cover song by The Beatles.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Maurice L. Britt (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 10, 1943 north of Mignano, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Disdaining enemy hand grenades and close-range machine pistol, machinegun, and rifle, Lt. Britt inspired and led a handful of his men in repelling a bitter counterattack by approximately 100 Germans against his company positions north of Mignano, Italy, the morning of 10 November 1943. During the intense fire fight, Lt. Britt's canteen and field glasses were shattered; a bullet pierced his side; his chest, face, and hands were covered with grenade wounds. Despite his wounds, for which he refused to accept medical attention until ordered to do so by his battalion commander following the battle, he personally killed 5 and wounded an unknown number of Germans, wiped out one enemy machinegun crew, fired 5 clips of carbine and an undetermined amount of Ml rifle ammunition, and threw 32 fragmentation grenades. His bold, aggressive actions, utterly disregarding superior enemy numbers, resulted in capture of 4 Germans, 2 of them wounded, and enabled several captured Americans to escape. Lt. Britt's undaunted courage and prowess in arms were largely responsible for repulsing a German counterattack which, if successful, would have isolated his battalion and destroyed his company.

Sergeant First Class Nelson V. Brittin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 7, 1951 in the vicinity of Yonggong-ni, Korea. His citation reads:

Sfc. Brittin, a member of Company I, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action. Volunteering to lead his squad up a hill, with meager cover against murderous fire from the enemy, he ordered his squad to give him support and, in the face of withering fire and bursting shells, he tossed a grenade at the nearest enemy position. On returning to his squad, he was knocked down and wounded by an enemy grenade. Refusing medical attention, he replenished his supply of grenades and returned, hurling grenades into hostile positions and shooting the enemy as they fled. When his weapon jammed, he leaped without hesitation into a foxhole and killed the occupants with his bayonet and the butt of his rifle. He continued to wipe out foxholes and, noting that his squad had been pinned down, he rushed to the rear of a machine gun position, threw a grenade into the nest, and ran around to its front, where he killed all 3 occupants with his rifle. Less than 100 yards up the hill, his squad again came under vicious fire from another camouflaged, sandbagged, machine gun nest well-flanked by supporting riflemen. Sfc. Brittin again charged this new position in an aggressive endeavor to silence this remaining obstacle and ran direct into a burst of automatic fire which killed him instantly. In his sustained and driving action, he had killed 20 enemy soldiers and destroyed 4 automatic weapons. The conspicuous courage, consummate valor, and noble self-sacrifice displayed by Sfc. Brittin enabled his inspired company to attain its objective and reflect the highest glory on himself and the heroic traditions of the military service.

Carpenter’s Mate Second Class George F. Brock (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 21, 1905 on board the USS Bennington. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Bennington for extraordinary heroism displayed at the time of the explosion of that vessel at San Diego, Calif., 21 July 1905.

No comments:

Post a Comment