Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 11, 2011

RIP Mike Franks... And the Countdown Continues

Perhaps my favorite recurring character on NCIS, Mike Franks (played by Muse Watson) was killed in the episode last night. At least he had some cool final words while confronting the bad guy on the street during a dark and stormy night: “My name is Mike Franks. I figure I got one more fight left in me. You want it?” Sure, he ended up getting killed after that… but he put up a good fight before he went down.

Overall, I thought it was a great show. I can’t wait for the season finale next Tuesday night!

One thing that did tick me off during the show last night was the weather reports that made me miss some of the show. I don’t know how much I missed… maybe it wasn’t much… but I missed some of it. And that ticked me off. Here’s a news flash: I don’t need Bill F’ing Walsh telling me that there’s a storm somewhere and that there are tornadoes somewhere. They have that warning covering the bottom of my TV screen. I don’t love that, but I can live with it. At least I can watch my show while it’s on there. The storm wasn’t even really in my area. But that’s fine, I know Live 5 News covers a large area… but the people in the path of the storm don’t need the news to tell them there’s a storm. I doubt someone was sitting there saying, “Honey, did you leave the water running? I hear a lot of water”. Or maybe they said something like, “Did they just build railroad tracks near our house? It sounds like a train is coming”. Bottom line, unless a big tidal wave is about to hit James Island… I don’t need a weatherman telling me it’s storming outside.

Now let’s get back to the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time

731 - “Cleaning This Gun (Come On In Boy)” by Rodney Atkins

“Come on in boy sit on down/ And tell me about yourself/ So you like my daughter do you now?/ Yeah we think she's something else/ She's her daddy's girl/ Her momma's world/ She deserves respect/ That’s what she'll get/ Ain’t it son?/ Hey y'all run along and have some fun/ I'll see you when you get back/ Bet I’ll be up all night/ Still cleanin' this gun”

As a father of daughters, this song really spoke to me. I usually think about MR when hearing this song… because I’m going to make it very clear to the first boy she brings home what he can (talk/listen) and can’t (everything else) do. I think Susie will be able to take care of herself… but I’m prepared to do the same for her if needed.

730 - “What Hurts the Most” by Rascal Flatts

“I can take the rain on the roof of this empty house/ That don’t bother me/ I can take a few tears now and then and just let them out/ I’m not afraid to cry every once in a while/ Even though going on with you gone still upsets me/ There are days every now and again I pretend I’m ok/ But that’s not what gets me”

729 - “Something to Believe In” by Poison

“Well I see him on the TV/ Preachin' bout the promise land/ He tells me to believe in Jesus/ And steals the money from my hand/ Some say he was a good man/ But Lord I think he sinned, yeah”

I love the lyrics to this song.

728 - “A Groovy Kind of Love” by Phil Collins

“When I'm feeling blue/ All I have to do/ Is take a look at you/ Then I'm not so blue/ When you're close to me/ I can feel you heart beat/ I can hear you breathing/ In my ear/ Wouldn't you agree?/ Baby, you and me got a groovy kind of love”

This is a great slow song.

727 - “Unwell” by Matchbox Twenty

“All day/ Staring at the ceiling/ Making friends with shadows on my wall/ All night/ Hearing voices telling me/ That I should get some sleep/ Because tomorrow might be good for something”

726 - “Hero” by Mariah Carey

“And then a hero comes along/ With the strength to carry on/ And you cast your fears aside/ And you know you can survive/ So when you feel like hope is gone/ Look inside you and be strong/ And you'll finally see the truth/ That a hero lies in you”

725 - “Express Yourself” by Madonna

“Don't go for second best baby/ Put your love to the test/ You know, you know, you've got to/ Make him express how he feels/ And maybe then you'll know your love is real”

724 - “Watching the Wheels” by John Lennon

“People say I'm crazy, doing what I'm doing./ Well, they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin./ When I say that I'm okay, well, they look at me kinda strange./ ‘Surely, you’re not happy now, you no longer play the game.’”

723 - “Hurts So Good” by John Mellencamp

“Hurt so good/ Come on baby, make it hurt so good/ Sometimes love don't feel like it should/ You make it hurt so good”

722 - “Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'” by Journey

“You make me weep, I wanna die/ Just when you said we'd try/ Lovin', touchin', squeezin' each other/ When I'm alone all by myself/ You're out with someone else/ Lovin', touchin', squeezin' each other”

721 - “All I Can Do Is Write About It” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

“Did you ever see a she-gator protect her young/ Or a fish in a river swimming free/ Did you ever see the beauty of the hills of Carolina/ Or the sweetness of the grass in Tennessee/ And Lord I can't make any changes/ All I can do is write 'em in a song/ I can see the concrete slowly creepin'/ Lord take me and mine before that comes”

I love the sound of this song. It’s a nice, slow song.

720 - “Why” by Jason Aldean

“I know I'd never let you walk away/ So why do I push you 'til you break/ And why are you always on the verge of good-bye/ Before I'll show you how I really feel inside”

719 - “In Color” by Jamey Johnson

“And if it looks like we were scared to death/ Like a couple of kids just trying to save each other/ You should have seen it in color”

718 - “Gravity of the Situation” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“We blew past the army motorcade/ And it's abnormal load haulage/ The gravity of the situation/ Came on us like a bit of new knowledge”

717 - “Smuggler's Blues” by Glenn Frey

“So baby, here's your ticket,/ With your suitcase in your hand./ Here's a little money,/ Do it just the way we planned./ You be cool for twenty hours/ And I'll pay you twenty grand./ I'm sorry it went down like this,/ Someone had to lose,/ It's the nature of the business,/ It's the smuggler's blues.”

716 - “Women I've Never Had” by Hank Williams, Jr.

“I take a little smoke and a lotta wine/ I get high on all old friends of mine/ I like the sweet young things and OLD GRANDAD/ And I like to have women I've never had”

715 - “History In The Making” by Darius Rucker

“This could be one of those memories/ We want to hold on to, cling to,/ One we can’t forget/ Baby, this could be our last first kiss/ The door to forever/ What if this was that moment/ That chance worth taking/ History in the making”

714 - “My Kind of Town” by Frank Sinatra with Frank Sinatra, Jr.

“My kind of town./ Chicago is my kind of town./ Chicago is my kind of razzmatazz/ And it has all that jazz,”

713 - “Mr. Jones” by Counting Crows

“Mr. Jones and me tell each other fairy tales/ Stare at the beautiful women/ ‘She's looking at you. Ah, no, no, she's looking at me.’/ Smiling in the bright lights/ Coming through in stereo/ When everybody loves you, you can never be lonely”

712 - “Rock and Roll Music” by Chuck Berry

“Just let me hear some of that/ Rock And Roll Music,/ Any old way you choose it;/ It's got a back beat, you can't lose it,/ Any old time you use it./ It's gotta be Rock And Roll Music,/ If you want to dance with me,/ If you want to dance with me.”

711 - “Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out” by Bruce Springsteen

“Teardrops on the city/ Bad Scooter searching for his groove/ Seem like the whole world walking pretty/ And you can't find the room to move/ Well everybody better move over, that's all/ 'Cause I'm running on the bad side/ And I got my back to the wall/ Tenth Avenue freeze-out/ Tenth Avenue freeze-out”

710 - “The World” by Brad Paisley

“To the teller down at the bank/ You're just another checking account;/ To the plumber that came today/ You're just another house;/ At the airport ticket counter/ You're just another fare;/ At the beauty shop at the mall/ Well you're just another head of hair;”

709 - “Born to Be My Baby” by Bon Jovi

“You were born to be my baby/ And baby, I was made to be your man/ We got something to believe in/ Even if we don't know where we stand/ Only God would know the reasons/ But I bet he must have had a plan/ Cause you were born to be my baby/ And baby, I was made to be your man”

708 - “But Anyway” by Blues Traveler

“I told her we'd still be friends/ And she did not care but anyway/ I tried last week to call her/ She wasn't home but anyway/ I think I'll spend my life alone/ I really don't care right now, but anyway/ It's a state of affairs/ And a state of emotions/ The kind of thing that you must understand/ I tell you one thing/ You tell me another/ We walk away, maybe then shake hands”

I like the harmonica and the fast delivery of the lyrics.

707 - “Every Little Step” by Bobby Brown

“I can't sleep at night, I toss and turn/ Listenin' for the telephone/ But when I get your call, I'm all choked up/ Can't believe you called my home”

706 - “Things I'd Never Do” by Darius Rucker

“I'd never pack my things in a Silverado/ Travel out to Colorado/ Just to find some freedom I thought was gone”

705 - “Hysteria” by Def Leppard

“Out of touch, out of reach yeah/ You could try to get closer to me/ I'm in luck, I'm in deep, yeah/ Hypnotized, I'm shakin' to my knees/ I gotta know tonight/ If you're alone tonight/ Can't stop this feeling/ Can't stop this fire”

704 - “(You're My) Soul and Inspiration” by The Righteous Brothers

“Baby I can't make it without you/ Please I'm begging you baby/ If you go it will kill me, I swear it/ On my soul and courage”

703 - “Chug-A-Lug” by Roger Miller

“Chug-a-lug chug a lug/ Make u wanna holla hidy hoe,/ Burns your tummy don't you know/ Chug-a-lug chug-a-lug””

A fun drinking song.

702 - “My Wish” by Rascal Flatts

“I hope that the days come easy and the moments pass slow,/ And each road leads you where you want to go,/ And if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose,/ I hope you choose the one that means the most to you./ And if one door opens to another door closed,/ I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,/ If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile,”

701 - “Honeysuckle Blue” by Drivin' N' Cryin'

“Feel the southern breezes/ And the southern wind/ Blowin' down around this/ Dying land/ D'Agostino's late last night I saw/ A boy fifteen on the road/ Nothing in the pocket/ His hand to the sky/ Nowhere else to go”

700 - “Forever Road” by Darius Rucker

“I heard every word you said/ And trying hard to understand/ Exactly what it is, you need, from me/ Baby I apologize/ I never meant to make you cry/ But there ain’t no doubt, we can work it out yeah/ ‘Cause I’m gonna be around”

699 - “Those I've Loved” by Eric Church

“Now I’m just a country boy with a guitar/ Lookin’ back down this old road I’ve been travelin’ on/ It was never about tryin’ to be some big star/ For me it’s always been about these songs/ You see they’re my best friends/ They’re the life I live/ And I hope they put a smile on the face/ Of those that I’ve loved along the way/ ‘Cause I wouldn’t be the man I am today/ If not for those I’ve loved along the way”

698 - “Give It Away” by George Strait

“’Just give it away./ There ain't nothin' in this house worth fightin' over./ Oh, an' we're both tired of fightin' anyway,/ So just give it away.’”

697 - “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight” by Hank Williams, Jr.

“I got ketchup on my blue jeans, I just burnt my hand/ Lord, it's hard to be a bachelor man/ I got girls that can cook, I got girls that can clean/ I got girls that can do anything in between/ I got to get ready, make everything right/ Cause all my rowdy friends are comin over tonight”

Ah… MNF

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant James Brogan (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 14, 1877 at Simon Valley, Arizona. His citation reads:

Engaged singlehanded 2 renegade Indians until his horse was shot under him and then pursued them so long as he was able.

Private August F. Bronner (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 30, 1862 at White Oak Swamp, Virginia and July 1, 1862 at Malvern Hill, Virginia. His citation reads:

Continued to fight after being severely wounded.

First Lieutenant Deming Bronson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 26-27, 1918 near Eclisfontaine, France. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy. On the morning of 26 September, during the advance of the 364th Infantry, 1st Lt. Bronson was struck by an exploding enemy handgrenade, receiving deep cuts on his face and the back of his head. He nevertheless participated in the action which resulted in the capture of an enemy dugout from which a great number of prisoners were taken. This was effected with difficulty and under extremely hazardous conditions because it was necessary to advance without the advantage of cover and, from an exposed position, throw handgrenades and phosphorous bombs to compel the enemy to surrender. On the afternoon of the same day he was painfully wounded in the left arm by an enemy rifle bullet, and after receiving first aid treatment he was directed to the rear. Disregarding these instructions, 1st Lt. Bronson remained on duty with his company through the night although suffering from severe pain and shock. On the morning of 27 September, his regiment resumed its attack, the object being the village of Eclisfontaine. Company H, to which 1st Lt. Bronson was assigned, was left in support of the attacking line, Company E being in the line. He gallantly joined that company in spite of his wounds and engaged with it in the capture of the village. After the capture he remained with Company E and participated with it in the capture of an enemy machinegun, he himself killing the enemy gunner. Shortly after this encounter the company was compelled to retire due to the heavy enemy artillery barrage. During this retirement 1st Lt. Bronson, who was the last man to leave the advanced position, was again wounded in both arms by an enemy high-explosive shell. He was then assisted to cover by another officer who applied first aid. Although bleeding profusely and faint from the loss of blood, 1st Lt. Bronson remained with the survivors of the company throughout the night of the second day, refusing to go to the rear for treatment. His conspicuous gallantry and spirit of self-sacrifice were a source of great inspiration to the members of the entire command.

No comments:

Post a Comment