Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Songs 241 - 207

With the season finale of most shows already behind us, I have started to take a break from watching TV. So I thought now would be a good time for me to introduce Daniel to Clemson football. We are skipping around from season to season but I’m focusing mainly on the years when Sonny was in school (’88-’91). There are two reasons for this. The first is that these are the years when my all time favorite football player (Levon Kirkland) was playing and the second is we (me and Daniel) like to play the game “Find Uncle Sonny” when the camera shows the crowd. It’s kind of our game within the game. Like you, I see nothing wrong with any of this. But, as I’m sure you have guessed, The Wife hates it. “Are we watching stupid football again?” is what I hear her say a good bit (my answer, of course, is “No… these games are from when they were good”). You might ask why I like to watch old football games. The answer, simply, is because I know my team will win. It helps me enjoy the game more. I am almost at the point now where I don’t really want to watch a Clemson game live anymore (and by live, I mean live on TV. I wouldn’t mind going to a game, but I don’t really have the money for that). I’d rather record the game and then watch it if I know they won. If they lost, I won’t waste my time watching. So anyway, I think this is a great father/son type thing for me to be doing with Daniel right now. I’m sure you agree with me.

By the way… I know we’ve still got a good bit of time until the 2011 college football season, but I wanted to go ahead and let my friends who are fans of the Revolutionary War Heroes know that I am looking for 1 ticket (maybe two if Jeremy wants to come along) to the Navy/USC football game on September 17. I, of course, will pay you back for the ticket. I do, however, expect you to provide transportation to and from the game. And I would like for our tickets to be together. In return for all of this, I promise not to gloat when my team beats your team. Also, I tailgate before Winthrop Basketball games when it’s (sometimes) just me and Jeremy there… so I don’t have a problem getting up to Columbia early to tailgate before the game. Just something for you to keep in mind when making your football plans this fall.

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


241 - “It's My Life” by Bon Jovi

Bon Jovi had kind of fallen off for a while and then this song came out and (BOOM!), they’re back in the game.

240 - “On Our Own” by Bobby Brown

239 - “Rock N' Roll Never Forgets” by Bob Seger

238 - “Get Up Stand Up” by Bob Marley

237 - “Shelter Me” by .38 Special

236 - “Well Did You Evah?” by Bing Crosby; Frank Sinatra

Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra… does it get any better?

235 - “We Didn't Start the Fire” by Billy Joel

It’s a song about history… pretty much.

234 - “Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler)” by Alabama

I felt like I knew this song by heart the first time I heard it. It’s that kind of song.

233 - “Dude (Looks Like a Lady)” by Aerosmith

This reminds me of the time I went to Virginia Beach for a baseball tournament the summer before my senior year in high school.

232 - “For Those About To Rock” (Live) by AC/DC

I had a CD clock radio in high school and for many years I would wake up to the live version of this song. The drums at the end let me know it was time to get up.

231 - “This Ain't a Love Song” by Bon Jovi

“It made me so mad 'cause I wanted it bad for us baby/ And now it's so sad that whatever we had/ Ain't worth saving oh oh oh/ If the love that I've got for you is gone/ If the river I've cried ain't that long/ Then I'm wrong yes I'm wrong/ This ain't a love song”

230 - “Better Than This” by Brad Paisley

“But if a busload of women, really good-looking women just suddenly pulled in here./ And Little Jimmy Dickens showed up with fried chicken./ And a hundred gallon keg of beer./ Merle Haggard dropped by and brought Willie with him./ And they started taking requests./ Now don't get me wrong boy's./ This is pretty good./ But it could get better than this.”

229 - “Rave On” by Buddy Holly and The Crickets

228 - “A Bad Goodbye” by Clint Black with Wynonna Ryder

227 - “Drinkin' and Dialin'” by Darius Rucker

226 - “Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be a Long, Long Time)” by Elton John

225 - “Go Your Own Way” by Fleetwood Mac

224 - “I'm Over You” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“I'm gonna phone her, but not today/ I'm gonna write her, but not today/ Today I'm gonna be/ Driving down Highway 441 with the windows down/ A beer in one hand, the radio blasting/ My old feelings I won't recognize/ I'm Over You”

I believe this song was originally done by The Silos… but I love the Hootie version.

223 - “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)” by Journey

222 - “Cum On Feel The Noize” by Quiet Riot

221 - “Surfin' USA” by The Beach Boys

220 - “Take It to the Limit” by The Eagles

219 - “Hot for Teacher” by Van Halen

218 - “Chicken Fried” by Zac Brown Band

217 - “Dr. Feelgood” by Motley Crue

216 - “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson

215 - “I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)” by Meat Loaf

214 - “Open Arms” by Journey

213 - “Come Monday” by Jimmy Buffett

212 - “Stay” by Jackson Browne

211 - “The Load-Out” by Jackson Browne

210 - “The Power of Love” by Huey Lewis and The News

209 - “Goodbye Girl” by Hootie and the Blowfish

208 - “Carolina” by Eric Church

207 - “Your Song” by Elton John

Look! It’s my song!



Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Lieutenant Commander Allen Buchanan (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 21-22, 1914 during the engagements of Vera Cruz. His citation reads:

For distinguished conduct in battle, engagements of Vera Cruz, 21 and 22 April 1914. In command of the 1st Seaman Regiment, Lt. Cmdr. Buchanan was in both days' fighting and almost continually under fire from soon after landing, about noon of the 21st, until we were in possession of the city, about noon of the 22d. His duties required him to be at points of great danger in directing his officers and men, and he exhibited conspicuous courage, coolness, and skill in his conduct of the fighting. Upon his courage and skill depended, in great measure, success or Failure. His responsibilities were great, and he met them in a manner worthy of commendation.

Apprentice David M. Buchanan (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 15, 1879 on board the USS Saratoga. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Saratoga off Battery, New York Harbor, 15 July 1879. On the morning of this date, Robert Lee Robey, apprentice, fell overboard from the after part of the ship into the tide which was running strong ebb at the time and, not being an expert swimmer, was in danger of drowning. Instantly springing over the rail after him, Buchanan never hesitated for an instant to remove even a portion of his clothing. Both men were picked up by the ship's boat following this act of heroism.

Private George A. Buchanan (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1864 at Chapins Farm, Virginia. His citation reads:

Took position in advance of the skirmish line and drove the enemy's cannoneers from their guns; was mortally wounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment