Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, May 12, 2011

Songs 696 - 662

Let’s get straight to the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time countdown...


696 - “She's Country” by Jason Aldean

“She's a hot little number in her pick-up truck/ Daddy's sweet money done jacked it up/ She's a party all-nighter from South Carolina/ A bad mamma-jamma from down in Alabama/ She's a ragin' Cajun, lunatic from Brunswick,/ Juicy Georgia peach,/ With a thick southern drawl, sexy swingin' walk”

695 - “Cherry Bomb” by John Mellencamp

“Well I lived on the outskirts of town/ In an eight room farmhouse, baby/ When my brothers and friends were around/ There was always somethin' doin'/ Had me a couple of real nice girlfriends/ Stopped by to see me every once in a while/ When I think back about those days/ All I can do is sit and smile”

694 - “Bent” by Matchbox Twenty

“Shouldn't be so complicated/ Just hold me and then/ Just hold me again/ Can you help me I'm bent/ I'm so scared that I'll never/ Get put back together/ You're breaking me in/ And this is how we will end/ With you and me bent”

693 - “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” by Queen

“This thing called love I just can't handle it/ This thing called love I must get round to it/ I ain't ready/ Crazy little thing called love/ Crazy little thing called love”

692 - “I Wish It Would Rain Down” by Phil Collins

“You know I never meant to see you again/ And I only passed by as a friend/ All this time I stayed out of sight/ I started wondering why/ Now I, I wish it would rain down, down on me/ Yes I wish it would rain, rain down on me now”

691 - “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band” by The Beatles

“It was twenty years ago today/ Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play/ They've been going in and out of style/ But they're guaranteed to raise a smile/ So may I introduce to you/ The act you've known for all these years/ Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band”

A great first song on a great album.

690 - “Settle Me Down” by Zac Brown Band

“'Cause these people put on the fine business suits/ And they step on your face 'til they're going/ Oh, the money, the cursin', when it's time for the hearse/ Only bankers and lawyers are showin'”

689 - “Songs About Me” by Trace Adkins

“I met a guy on the red eye/ He spotted my guitar/ And said what do you do?/ I said, I sing for a living,/ Country music mixed with/ A little rock and a little blues/ He said I'm sorry/ But I've never been crazy/ 'bout that twang and trains and hillbilly thing/ Whatever made you want to sing stuff like that?/ I just looked at him and laughed and said”

688 - “My Next Thirty Years” by Tim McGraw

“My next thirty years will be the best years of my life/ Raise a little family and hang out with my wife/ Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear/ Make up for lost time here, in my next thirty years”

I listened to this song a lot the year I was 30. It just seemed to fit.

687 - “American Ride” by Toby Keith

“Plasma gettin' bigger, Jesus gettin' smaller/ Spill a cup of coffee make a million dollars/ Customs got a thug with an aerosol can/ If the shoe don't fit...the fits gonna hit the shan”

686 - “I Can't Explain” by The Who

“Dizzy in the head and I'm feeling blue/ The things you've said, well, maybe they're true/ I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again/ I know what it means, but/ Can't explain/ I think it's love/ Try to say it to you/ When I feel blue”

685 - “Get Over It” by The Eagles

“You drag it around like a ball and chain/ You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain/ You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown/ Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down/ Complain about the present and blame it on the past/ I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass”

This is just a great song considering the society that we live in today (and in the ‘90s when this song was written). I love it.

684 - “On Broadway” by The Drifters

“They say the girls are something else on Broadway (on Broadway)/ But looking at them just gives me the blues (on Broadway)/ 'Cause how ya gonna make some time/ When all you got is one thin dime?/ And one thin dime won't even shine your shoes (on Broadway)”

I’ll be honest with you… I could sit and listen to The Drifters sing all day long.

683 - “Get Back” by The Beatles

“Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner/ But he knew it wouldn't last/ Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona/ For some California grass”

682 - “Paradise” by Tesla

“My sweet paradise, you are the reason why it tears me up inside/ And I break down and cry, didn't wanna say goodbye paradise”

681 - “Closing Time” by Semisonic

“Closing time/ Open all the doors and let you out into the world/ Closing time/ Turn all of the lights on over every boy and every girl/ Closing time/ One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer/ Closing time/ You don't have to go home but you can't stay here”

680 - “These Days” by Rascal Flatts

“Yeah, life throws you curves/ But you learned to swerve/ Me, I swung and I missed/ And the next thing you know, I'm reminiscing/ Dreaming old dreams/ Wishing old wishes/ Like you would be back again”

679 - “Something Happened on the Way to Heaven” by Phil Collins

“I only wanted someone to love/ But something happened on the way to heaven/ It got a hold of me and wouldn't let go/ And I want you back/ How many times do I have to say I'm sorry”

678 - “Band on the Run” by Paul McCartney

“Well the rain exploded with a mighty crash/ As we fell into the sun/ And the first one said to the second one there/ I hope you're having fun.”

677 - “Back 2 Good” by Matchbox Twenty

“Everyone here, knows everyone here is thinking about/ Somebody else/ It's best if we all keep it under our heads/ I couldn't tell, if anyone here was feeling the way I do/ But I'm lonely now, and I don't know how/ To get it back to good”

676 - “Beer in Mexico” by Kenny Chesney

“Too old to be wild and free still/ Too young to be over the hill/ Should I try to grow up/ But who knows where to start/ So I just/ Sit right here and have another beer in Mexico/ Do my best to waste another day/ Sit right here and have another beer in Mexico/ Let the warm air melt these blues away”

675 - “Lights” by Journey

“So you think you’re lonely/ Well my friend I’m lonely too/ I want to get back to my city by the bay/ Ooh, ooh”

674 - “Laughed Until We Cried” by Jason Aldean

“This past year my family/ Was sittin cross-legged 'round the Christmas tree/ Listenin to granddad, we all knew it would probably be his last/ He was crackin jokes and we were takin turns/ Tellin stories bout fishing or lessons learned/ Out on the porch with him we all felt like kids again”

673 - “Sad Caper” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“I wonder/ Why are we involved/ With the seasons/ And the living of our own/ Let me see if nothing's wrong/ I just want to be the one”

672 - “There's a Tear in My Beer” by Hank Willams, Jr. and Hank Williams, Sr.

“There's a tear in my beer/ Cause I'm cryin for you, dear/ You are on my lonely mind/ Into these last nine beers/ I have shed a million tears/ You are on my lonely mind/ I'm gonna keep drinkin until I'm petrified/ And then maybe these tears will leave my eyes/ There's a tear in my beer/ Cause I'm crying for you dear/ You are on my lonely mind”

A great, great Country song.

671 - “Chicago” by Frank Sinatra

“Chicago, Chicago that toddling town/ Chicago, Chicago I'll show you around - I love it/ Bet your bottom dollar you'll lose the blues in Chicago/ The town that Billy's Sunday could not shut down”

670 - “Ain't Killed Me Yet” by Eric Church

“'Cause I thought her leavin' would stop my heart from beatin'/ And gettin' over her would be my death/ It hurts every night/ When she dances through my mind/ I still feel the sting of the loneliness/ But it ain't killed me yet”

669 - “Killin' Time” by Clint Black

“You were the first thing that I thought of/ When I thought I drank you off my mind/ When I get lost in the liquor/ You're the only one I find/ And if I did the things I oughta/ You still would not be mine/ So I'll keep a tight grip on the bottle/ Gettin' loose and killin' time”

What great lyrics!!!

668 - “Country Boys” by Aaron Lewis with George Jones and Charlie Daniels

“I said, no that's not me/ Cause the biggest things in life are your friends and family/ And I like my jeans and my old t-shirts/ And a couple extra pounds never really hurt/ Cause a country boy is all I'll ever be/ Cause Hank taught me just how to stay alive/ You'll never catch me out the house without my 9 or 45”

This song made the list based solely on the recommendation of Sonny. It’s the only song to make the list without me hearing it first (though I have since listened to it).

667 - “What it Takes” by Aerosmith

“There goes my old girlfriend, there's another diamond ring/ And, uh, all those late night promises I guess they don't mean a thing/ So baby, what's the story? Did you find another man?/ Is it easy to sleep in the bed that we made?/
When you don't look back I guess the feelings start to fade away./ I used to feel your fire/ But now it's cold inside/ And you're back on the street like you didn't miss a beat, yeah”

666 - “Let's Get It Started” by Black Eyed Peas

“And the base keep runnin' runnin', and runnin' runnin', and runnin' runnin',/ And runnin' runnin', and/ Runnin' runnin', and runnin' runnin', and runnin'/ Runnin', and runnin' runnin', and...”

This song is on here more for the beat and the music. ;)

665 - “I Want You To Want Me” by Cheap Trick

“I want you to want me./ I need you to need me./ I'd love you to love me./ I'm beggin' you to beg me.”

664 - “Learn to Live” by Darius Rucker

“Grandpa Campbell would sit upon his front porch/ And I'd be right there just sittin on his knee/ He'd tell stories about love and feast and famine/ And I'd hang onto every word that he would breathe/ He'd say boy as you walk through this life/ Here's a little wisdom that'll help you get by”

663 - “I Go to Extremes” by Billy Joel

“Call me a joker, call me a fool/ Right at this moment I'm totally cool/ Clear as a crystal, sharp as a knife/ I feel like I'm in the prime of my life/ Sometimes it feels like I'm going too fast/ I don't know how long this feeling will last/ Maybe it's only tonight”

662 - “I'd Die for You” by Bon Jovi

“In a world that don't know Romeo and Juliet/ Boy meets girl and promises we can't forget/ We are cast from Eden's gate with no regrets/ Into the fire we cry”

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Sergeant James H. Bronson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1864 at Chapins Farm, Virginia. His citation reads:

Took command of his company, all the officers having been killed or wounded, and gallantly led it.

Private Oscar Brookin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1898 at El Caney, Cuba. His citation reads:

Gallantly assisted in the rescue of the wounded from in front of the lines and under heavy fire from the enemy.

Private James Brophy (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions in 1868 in Arizona. His citation reads:

Bravery in scouts and actions against Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment