Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, May 29, 2011

We've made it to the Top 100...

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


101 - “Lean On Me” by Bill Withers

A wonderful song from a great movie that made everyone think they could become a teacher and make a difference.

100 - “Imagine” by John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band

I’m not really into let’s all get along type songs, but I do like the simplicity of this song.

99 - “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)” by Phil Collins

98 - “You Send Me” by Sam Cooke

I heard The Rock sing this one on Letterman’s show one night. He did a good job… but not as good as Sam Cooke.

97 - “Signs” by Tesla

“And the sign says ‘Everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray’/ But then they passed around a plate at the end of it all/ And I didn't have a penny to pay/ So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own f***in' sign/ I said, ‘Thank you Lord for thinking 'bout me, I'm alive and doing fine’, oh/ Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs/ F***in' up the scenery, breakin' my mind/ Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign”

A great cover song by Tesla.

96 - “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” by The Band

95 - “Sloop John B” by The Beach Boys

This could very well be my favorite Beach Boys song… but it’s not the highest ranked on the list. The votes saved that honor for a different song.

94 - “Come Together” by The Beatles

93 - “Already Gone” by The Eagles

“Well, I heard some people talkin' just the other day/ And they said you were gonna put me on a shelf/ But let me tell you I got some news for you/ And you'll soon find out it's true/ And then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself/ 'Cause I'm already gone/ And I'm feelin' strong/ I will sing this vict'ry song, woo, hoo, hoo, woo, hoo, hoo”

I remember thinking a girl was close to breaking up with me… so the next time we went out I played this song in the truck. It was my passive-aggressive way of letting her know that… well… I was already gone. She probably didn’t pick up on it. Hell, she probably wasn’t going to break up with me. Oh well, things worked out great for both of us (probably better for me since I’ve got The Wife and kids and she’s married to a guy not named me).

92 - “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong

91 - “Mountain Music” by Alabama

“Drift away like Tom Sawyer/ Ride a raft with ol' Huck Finn/ Take a nap like Rip Van Winkle/ Daze dreamin' again/ Oh, play me some mountain music/ Like grandma and grandpa used to play/ Then I'll float on down the river/ To a Cajun hideaway”

90 - “Right Now” by Van Halen

89 - “Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band

88 - “Shout (Parts 1 and 2)” by The Isley Brothers

87 - “Barbara Ann” by The Beach Boys

86 - “Hey Jude” by The Beatles

85 - “Seventeen” by Winger

“And just when I thought/ She was coming to my door/ She whispered sweet/ And brought me to the floor/ She said/ I'm only seventeen (seventeen)/ I'll show you love like you've never seen/ She's only seventeen (seventeen)/ Daddy says she's too young/ But she's old enough for me”

Another song that reminds me of college…

84 - “Desperado” by The Eagles

83 - “Up On The Roof” by The Drifters

My favorite song by The Drifters.

82 - “I Don't Like Mondays” by The Boomrats

81 - “We Will Rock You” by Queen

80 - “We Are The Champions” by Queen

79 - “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” by Reba McEntire

78 - “Baby Grand” by Ray Charles with Billy Joel

77 - “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” by Poison

76 - “In The Air Tonight” by Phil Collins

I love when the drums kick into this song.

75 - “Crazy Train” by Ozzy Osbourne

What’s crazy is that Ozzy Osbourne can sing a song that is so great and that makes so much sense and yet when he talks he sounds like a big moron.

74 - “Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)” by Motley Crue

“That's alright, now that's okay/ We were walkin' through some youth/ Smilin' through the pain/ That's alright, let's turn the page/ And remember what I say girl/ And it goes this way/ Girl, don't go away mad/ Girl, just go away/ Girl, don't go away mad/ Now girl, just go away”

Ah… I’ve played this song for many a soon to be ex-girlfriends.

73 - “Still Crazy After All These Years” by Paul Simon

72 - “Smooth Criminal” by Michael Jackson

71 - “I'll Be There” by Mariah Carey with Trey Lorenz

70 - “Like a Virgin” by Madonna

I remember seeing her perform this song at the MTV music awards way back in the mid 80’s. Let me tell you… I grew up that night. Wow. I mean, WOW! I’ve seen that performance maybe 2 or 3 times in my life (since the first one), but it’s one of those things that’s burned into my memory.

69 - “You Shook Me All Night Long” by AC/DC

True Story: The Wife and I slow danced to this song at our wedding reception.

68 - “I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink” by Merle Haggard

“Could be holding you tonight,/ Could quit doing wrong, start doin' right./ You don't care about what I think./ I think I'll just stay here and drink./ Hey puttin' you down don't square no deal./ Least you know the way I feel./ Take all the money in the bank./ Think 'll just stay here and drink.”

And here we see why so many Country singers love Merle Haggard.

67 - “D'Yer Mak'er” by Led Zeppelin


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Robert Buffum (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during April 1862 in Georgia. His citation reads:

One of the 19 of 22 men (including 2 civilians) who, by direction of Gen. Mitchell (or Buell), penetrated nearly 200 miles south into enemy territory and captured a railroad train at Big Shanty, Ga., in an attempt to destroy the bridges and track between Chattanooga and Atlanta.

Private Henry G. Buhrman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Sergeant Brian L. Buker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 5, 1970 at Chau Doc Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Buker, Detachment B-55, distinguished himself while serving as a platoon adviser of a Vietnamese mobile strike force company during an offensive mission. Sgt. Buker personally led the platoon, cleared a strategically located well-guarded pass, and established the first foothold at the top of what had been an impenetrable mountain fortress. When the platoon came under the intense fire from a determined enemy located in 2 heavily fortified bunkers, and realizing that withdrawal would result in heavy casualties, Sgt. Buker unhesitatingly, and with complete disregard for his personal safety, charged through the hail of enemy fire and destroyed the first bunker with hand grenades. While reorganizing his men for the attack on the second bunker, Sgt. Buker was seriously wounded. Despite his wounds and the deadly enemy fire, he crawled forward and destroyed the second bunker. Sgt. Buker refused medical attention and was reorganizing his men to continue the attack when he was mortally wounded. As a direct result of his heroic actions, many casualties were averted, and the assault of the enemy position was successful. Sgt. Buker's extraordinary heroism at the cost of his life are in the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment