Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, August 19, 2011

Football…

Before we get started on our topic today, I would like to make sure you notice the newest addition to the blog on the right hand side of the page. There is the spot you can click to donate money to the Memory Walk that I am, again, taking part of. Last year you really stepped up to the plate and gave to me the way a Miami booster would give to a Miami Hurricane athlete (zing!). Right now my goal is to raise $1,000… but like last year I hope that I have to keep upping my goal because so many give so much. I’ve already donated enough to get the “free” T-shirt, so now I’m just collecting for fun… and because I really care about this. Some of you have given before… and will be asked to give again. Some of you haven’t given before… so now is a good time to start. This actually goes great with the fact that I will be talking a lot about sports memories and family memories (and all other memories) on here. Honestly, part of the reason that I put some of the things on here that I do is to help me remember them. So make sure you give early and give often!

Speaking of Miami… Have you see this yet? I for one am shocked (SHOCKED!) that this is going on at The U. I mean, I have always looked at that program as a model program. Sure, there were some problems in the ‘80s… and in the ‘90s… but who would have guessed that there would be problems in the 2000s? Ok… so maybe I had an idea that something might have been going on down there. But I can see how the school wouldn’t think anything wrong was going on. I mean, I guess the coaches who say they knew might have known… by why in the world would anyone expect the AD or compliance office to pay attention to stuff like this? How could they know that you can’t just trust a bunch of 18-22 year olds to “do the right thing”… much less with the temptations in Miami. Ok, maybe someone there could have done a little research, but it’s not like that was their job… oops, I think it was their job. You might say, “Greg, don’t be so hard on them. These schools can’t know everything that’s going on”. Well, funny story here. It seems the guy who was the Miami AD when most of this stuff was going on was also the chairman of the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions and oversaw USC’s (not that one, the other one over on the west coast) receiving sanctions that were some of the most severe in recent history. When talking about the punishment given to USC, this former Miami AD said that high-profile players demand high-profile compliance. So I guess someone at The U should have noticed something going on.

Like you, I have been hearing talk about conference expansion. It seems Clemson had a little get together of its higher-ups to see what everyone was thinking. I have placed calls to all the board members to find out what really went on in the meeting but so far none have returned my call (maybe I didn’t say my number clearly enough). Anyway, this expansion stuff is hard for me because I hate the big conferences. I don’t like the fact that you don’t play every team in the conference every year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the conferences grow so big that they end up splitting up into a bunch of smaller conferences. The College Football circle of life, if you will. Looking at where we are now, the conferences will have to get bigger before they get smaller. So what is the next step? I don’t know. I can tell you what I would like to see happen:

I would like to see Clemson in the SEC. I would like to see them get to play UGA, Tennessee and Florida every year (and, of course, keep playing USC). Do I think they would win every year? Nope… but I think they could compete (I don’t buy that the SEC is the best top to bottom… I think they’re the best top to middle). And really, if a team comes in the middle (or even bottom) of the SEC people give them the benefit of the doubt. Come in 2nd place in the ACC and people think you stink. Really, I’d just like to see Clemson play a bunch of SEC teams every year. Especially Georgia… I’d love to see them play Georgia. I know things will probably never be like they were back in the ‘80s… but if you look back on those Clemson/Georgia games back in the 1980s you’ll see what college football is all about. I’ll tell you another reason I’d like to see Clemson in the SEC… because Clemson is in the South East. I know football is what is driving this talk, but teams from other sports at the schools will also be affected. Travel costs will be a lot lower for the SEC teams (and Clemson) if the Tigers were in the SEC. A number of SEC teams already hate Clemson… so you wouldn’t have to worry about starting rivalries. And, best of all, Clemson leaving the ACC would open the door for Winthrop to get an invite (since the ACC wouldn’t want to lose the SC market). Haha… ok, maybe that last part wouldn’t happen.

Now, let me address a few things that I’ve been hearing on why this shouldn’t happen (*note, this does not represent the views of everyone in either fan base I am about to talk about).

First, from Revolutionary War Hero fans: “I don’t want Clemson in the SEC because then we would lose our only recruiting advantage over them”.

Do you people realize how weak this makes you look. Not to mention the fact that I don’t really think it’s true. But really, do the people who say this really think that the only reason Steve f’ing Spurrier is able to get guys that Dabo also wants is because USC is in the SEC then I think they need to take a hard look at how they see USC compared to Clemson. I mean, I would expect a Clemson fan to say the only reason someone would pick USC over Clemson would be because of conference… but I would think a USC fan would think the Revolutionary War Heroes have more to offer over Clemson than just that.

From Tiger fans I hear a couple of things: “We can’t win in the ACC, why would we win in the SEC?”

This is a fair point and I think I covered it earlier in this post. But to go over it again… I do think the Tigers could compete. Does that mean they would always win? No. Does that mean they would never win? No. It means sometimes they would win and sometimes they would lose. They would have good years and bad years. Except now the good years would be looked at more highly by those outside of Clemson and the bad years wouldn’t be seen as being as bad.

“I want Clemson to stay in the ACC because they have a chance to be great in the ACC. The SEC would be too hard.”

That quote comes in many forms, but that’s the gist of it. This is not a fair point… it’s a weak point. This is what we call the Big Fish in a Small Pond Theory. I am not a fan of it. I think it’s weak and people should be embarrassed to even say it. If this is how people feel, then perhaps they would like it better if Clemson were to join Conference USA… or the Big South… or the Southern Conference (though that might be too hard of a conference). To these people I simply say, “Listen Princess, go put on your big girl pants and suck it up. If you want to follow a big boy football program then you should want that program to play in the best football conference”.

Congrats to my friend (it’s true, just check Facebook) Drew Meyer on his return to USC to complete his undergrad work and work with the baseball team.  Congrats also to USC as I’m sure Drew has a lot to offer the Revolutionary War Hero baseball program. As I know you will remember, Drew is the answer to the trivia question “When did Greg come the closest to getting in a fight during a baseball game?” For any who don’t remember, I was playing on a Fall Ball team with a bunch of guys from Wando and BE (as well as one other guy who was transferring to JI) the fall of my senior year at JI. The tournament we were playing in was in Atlanta… I know I’ve talked about this on here before, so if you want all the details just read every post I’ve written until you come to it. To summarize what happened: Ball gets hit to me (2B). I throw to Drew (SS). Drew throws to first to complete the double play for the third out. As Drew is throwing, the runner from first runs over him. Doesn’t slide or anything. Just runs over him. I run over and shove the runner (while also saying in words that I won’t say here that I did not agree with the choice he made not to slide and that there would be consequences should he continue making such choices). Nothing came of it as the runner (most likely thinking either a- he was wrong or b-I was crazy) decided to just run back to the dugout. It is good that a fight did not break out, since by that point his teammates were coming out on to the field and the SOBs on my team had already gone into the dugout. Moral of the story, don’t trust baseball players from Wando or BE. :)


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Rear Admiral Daniel Judson Callaghan (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 12-13, 1942 off the coast of Savo Island. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty during action against enemy Japanese forces off Savo Island on the night of 12-13 November 1942. Although out-balanced in strength and numbers by a desperate and determined enemy, Rear Adm. Callaghan, with ingenious tactical skill and superb coordination of the units under his command, led his forces into battle against tremendous odds, thereby contributing decisively to the rout of a powerful invasion fleet, and to the consequent frustration of a formidable Japanese offensive. While faithfully directing close-range operations in the face of furious bombardment by superior enemy fire power, he was killed on the bridge of his flagship. His courageous initiative, inspiring leadership, and judicious foresight in a crisis of grave responsibility were in keeping with the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the defense of his country.

Private John H. Callahan (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from April 9, 1865 at Fort Blakely, Alabama. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

Private Thomas J. Callen (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 25-26, 1876 at Little Big Horn, Montana. His citation reads:

Volunteered and succeeded in obtaining water for the wounded of the command; also displayed conspicuously good conduct in assistlng to drive away the Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment