Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, August 16, 2011

iPhones

I mentioned at the beginning of my post yesterday but forgot to get back to it. The Wife and I are going to join the i world. The touch screen on our phones have stopped working and this was unacceptable to The Wife. I didn’t like it, but I’m able to adapt… The Wife, not so much. She complained and complained and complained about my touch screen not working until hers also stopped working. Once that happened, she was able to start complaining about that. She decided she wanted an iPhone. Really, there were just no other options that were available unless we wanted to get a phone like our my friend Danny (you know, the kind that is in a bag and takes you 5 minutes to type a 4 word text). So we went to the cell phone store to get our new phones.


We go in the store and I do what I always do… walk away and let The Wife talk to the sales lady. I do this because I want them to know up front that talking to me will get them nowhere. The good news here is that for the brief time we were in the store, I did not have anyone walk up and ask me to help them. So I’ve got that going for me… which is nice. Anyway, I glance over to the counter and see The Wife with an annoyed look on her face. I can tell the sales lady is telling her something she doesn’t want to hear. They go back and forth for a while and then I decided it was time to step in. So I walked over there and told The Wife it was time for us to go. Apparently The Wife was mad because she was told that we would have to pay full retail for the phones since we weren’t eligible for new phones. And they don’t have our phones anymore… so they can’t replace them. So we leave and talk about it in the van while going back to church to get my car. By the time we get to my car we have agreed that our phones are still useable (not ideal…but useable) so we will wait a while before we get new phones. I guess I wasn’t really clear on how long “a while” was. I drove home while The Wife went to her parents’ house to get the kids. When she got home I was informed that our new iPhones would be here by Wednesday. I had thought “a while” might mean a few months… it seems she thought it was a few days. To be fair, it seems The Wife was able to call someone and beat them down until she was able to get what she wanted (kind of reminds me of our engagement). She got them to agree to let us upgrade at the super deal price (still more than I’d like… but a heck of a lot cheaper than retail). So by sometime tomorrow (or today if you’re reading this on Wednesday) we will enter the i world. I hope it is worth it.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Daniel Caldwell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 6, 1865 at Hatchers Run, Virginia. His citation reads:

In a mounted charge, dashed into center of the enemy's line and captured the colors of the 33rd North Carolina Infantry.

First Sergeant Ivers S. Calkin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from April 6, 1865 at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 18th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

Corporal Donald M. Call (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 26, 1918 near Varennes, France. His citation reads:

During an operation against enemy machinegun nests west of Varennes, Cpl. Call was in a tank with an officer when half of the turret was knocked off by a direct artillery hit. Choked by gas from the high-explosive shell, he left the tank and took cover in a shellhole 30 yards away. Seeing that the officer did not follow, and thinking that he might be alive, Cpl. Call returned to the tank under intense machinegun and shell fire and carried the officer over a mile under machinegun and sniper fire to safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment