Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The real I'm just sayin...


I have received a number of calls and emails regarding the fact that Warren Peper is now writing a column for the Post and Courier titled “I’m Just Sayin”. People are in an uproar over the fact that he stole the title of my blog. While I am thankful for the support the community has given me, I must let you know that I am ok. Before things get out of hand, let’s take a look at what is going on. Warren and I go way back... I played basketball in a church league against his sons (mainly the older one, but a couple of years against the younger one too) back in the day. Does he remember this? Probably not, but I do. Let’s be honest here… he has had a great media career in this area. However, since going off of TV, he's struggled a bit. His career is not on the way up, if you know what I mean. He’s doing what he can to stay in the game and if using the title of my blog helps him do that then I am ok with that. I like Pep. I hold no ill will towards him. Plus, it seems that the title is only used for the print version of the column…not the online version. Therefore, I have nothing to worry about. Everyone knows that fewer and fewer people are reading the print version of newspapers these days.

It happened again. I was in Staples wearing my Winthrop golf shirt and someone came up to me asking for help. I’m standing there trying to find the type of pen I wanted, and she walks up behind me asking a question. I wasn’t 100% sure she was talking to me, so I didn’t say anything. She asked again (with slightly more irritation in her voice). I still didn’t say anything. Finally she shook my shoulder and asked her question again. Without looking at her, I (somewhat politely) informed her I had no idea where the stuff was that she was looking for while also pointing out to her that I don’t work there. She was nice and apologized and said that I looked like I knew what I was doing (which I think was a lie because The Wife always tells me I look like a moron). Here’s the thing… my WU shirt is garnet. The shirts employees wear at Staples are red. Yes, garnet is in the same color family as red… but they don’t really look like each other. I am thisclose to going off on someone for stuff like this.

So did you see the news a few weeks ago about the Revolutionary War Hero’s QB coach? Seems he got arrested for peeing in public and then lying to the police when they caught him doing it. If I’m not mistaken, this happened late at night (after 2am?). Like you, my first thought was… “Crap, that’s against the law?” I am happy to see the school didn’t overreact and fire him. He made a mistake and was punished. Next time he will do a better job of not getting caught.

I love this time of the year. College football fall practices are now underway and we get to hear about how this group of kids worked harder over the summer than any other group that’s been in school. By next February coaches will be talking about what a great group of recruits they signed to replace the bums they had to use the past season. I love it.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Frank G. Butterfield (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 4, 1863 at Salem Heights, Virginia. His citation reads:

Took command of the skirmish line and covered the movement of his regiment out of a precarious position.

Corporal William Robert Button (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 31, 1919 near Grande Riviere, Republic of Haiti. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in actual conflict with the enemy near Grande Riviere, Republic of Haiti, on the night of 31 October-1 November 1919, resulting in the death of Charlemagne Peralte, the supreme bandit chief in the Republic of Haiti, and the killing, capture and dispersal of about 1,200 of his outlaw followers. Cpl. William R. Button not only distinguished himself by his excellent judgment and leadership but also unhesitatingly exposed himself to great personal danger when the slightest error would have forfeited not only his life but the lives of the detachments of Gendarmerie under his command. The successful termination of his mission will undoubtedly prove of untold value to the Republic of Haiti.

Gunner’s Mate George Butts (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 5, 1864 on board the USS Signal. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Signal, Red River, 5 May 1864. Proceeding up the Red River, the U.S.S. Signal engaged a large force of enemy field batteries and sharpshooters, returning their fire until the ship was totally disabled, at which time the white flag was raised. Although entered on the sick list, Butts courageously carried out his duties during the entire engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment