Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Stories from Columbia

We at I’m just sayin… would like to start our post today by thanking our good friend KC from Our Life for his donation to our Memory Walk. We would also like to thank Mom and Dad, who gave a couple of weeks ago (but I don't think I mentioned them on here).  There are still others out there who have not given yet. You still have time. Give here

What a great Saturday! As luck would have it, my awesome friend Ashley and my friend Cory (husband of Ashley) were able to find an extra ticket so that Jeremy could go to the game with us. For those of you who thought The Wife would get the extra ticket, all I can say is… really? REALLY? Anyway, things were interesting from the beginning (and by “the beginning”, I mean Friday) when I sent Cory an email saying I didn’t mind meeting him at his house… I just needed to know when he wanted to leave. He tells me not to worry about it, we’d just meet in Summerville. Now, I know Summerville ain’t New York City… but it is big enough that I needed a little more info than that. Still, I didn’t want to push my luck, so I didn’t say anything. Later Friday is when Jeremy and Ashley were added to the traveling party. This made me happy for two reasons. 1- With Ashley going I was 99% sure Cory wouldn’t leave me in Columbia. 2- Given the choice, I prefer to have Jeremy with me at a sporting event. He either knows the answers to all of my questions, or he doesn’t mind looking up the answers. Plus it felt good having another Navy fan with me. And Jeremy has known me long enough that he is able to predict what I’m going to forget and he’s nice enough to cover me. He texted me Friday to see if I wanted him to pick up beer for the game. Now, I had planned on getting it Saturday morning… but there’s at least a 50/50 chance I’d have forgotten. I also had a chair to take with me for the tailgate… but I left it in my den. No problem… Jeremy brought an extra one. Last but not least, I knew Cory likes Jeremy more than he likes me… so with Jeremy going I felt like my odds went up that Cory wouldn’t leave me in Summerville. Turns out I was right about that. Late Friday night I noticed I still hadn’t heard anything from Cory about when and where we were going to meet. I then get a text from Jeremy saying that the plan was to meet in the Target parking lot “a little before 11”. Note that Cory was not the one to text me. It seems my phone is so smart, it won’t take his texts or calls.

Anyway, Saturday started with me leaving my house a little after 10:00 to go to the Target parking lot. I got there sometime around 10:20 and waited. Why did I get there so early? Because I wasn’t sure if “a little before 11” was Cory’s way of trying to leave me in Summerville. I was the first one there… probably making it the first time I beat Jeremy somewhere, which was nice. We went up to Columbia and met Cory and Ashley’s friends at some restaurant/bar type place where we watched the early part of the Clemson game while we ate. The food was good and the people there were in a good mood (since Clemson wasn’t doing too good at that point). After eating, we went and parked Cory’s truck about a 10 minute walk from the stadium and then got in his friend’s truck to drive to their parking space… right by the stadium. That’s what I’m talking about. As Cory said, “Only the best for you, Greg”. Actually, I don’t think he said that… but I’m pretty sure he was thinking it. We then tailgated until game time. This was not my first game at USC, but it was the first one that I was at as a “fan” (the other time I was part of the working media… sure, I wasn’t working or even part of the media… but that’s not important). Color me impressed. I’m sure it’s different if you’re a Clemson fan or fan of some other SEC school on the day USC is playing your team… but, as Cory said, you can’t really talk trash to Navy. I thought overall the fans were good. Sure, there were some idiots but the law of averages says that if you get a group of about 80,000 people together then you’ll have some idiots there. I won’t talk about the game… if you want to know about the game, read the internet. Or call ESPN2 and ask for the tape.

Oh… before I forget… A word about the coeds at USC. In a word: Wow. In two words: Wow Wow. I’m not so much talking about looks… some looked great, some good, some not so good, and some made the rest look better than they probably really do. That’s not the point. I’m talking about what they were wearing. I would say you could breakdown the chosen wardrobe for USC coeds as this: short, short, short, short (what’s the point of even wearing it, it’s so short) black skirts or tight, tight, tight, tight (holly cow can blood flow to your feet tight) black pants and boots. To be fair, their tops seemed to be conservative. But WOW… how bad was it? At one point I asked Cory if I should give one of the girls a dollar. All I can say is I hope there is a huge change in fashion before my girls go to college. I don’t think I’ve been to a Clemson game in some time… maybe it’s time for me to make another trip up to Tiger Town to see if coeds dress like this on game day everywhere or just at USC.

Here are a few pics from my trip to Columbia:

Looks like my friend Danny made it to the game after all...

This was were we tailgated... I could get used to this. 

The view from our seats.

That white spot you see was my back-up if a fight started.  (Oh, pay no attention to the empty seats, they filled up by game time).

GO NAVY!!!

An alert reader (Jeremy) passed on some info regarding a billboard some Texas A&M people have in Waco, Texas (home of Baylor… the school trying to keep A&M from going to the SEC). A quick Google search later and here’s a pic of the billboard for your viewing pleasure:


So did you see the ACC is expanding? Looks like Pitt and Syracuse are going to join. I’m not really happy about it. I don’t like the whole “super conference” stuff to begin with. And it’s not like I go to Clemson away games, but if I did I wouldn’t look forward to the trip to Syracuse. Having said that, if any of my Tiger friends make the trip the first time Clemson plays at Pitt… let me know. I’d be interested in going to that game. Pittsburgh is a nice place (at least it was the only time I’ve been there). It’s a GREAT NFL city… not sure how it is with college football… but overall it’s a great place to visit. It has been said that this was a “basketball” move. If the ACC is making moves based on basketball (which wouldn’t surprise me) then I can only assume that Winthrop is high on the list of teams to join as the 15th or 16th member of the ACC. WU would fit academically (and basketball wise… and heck, most years football wise too). You heard it here first. As it stands now, I think the conference will have two divisions: The Atlantic Coast Division and the Big East Division.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

High School
James Island at Wando – I picked Wando and I was RIGHT! James Island lost, 7-14.

Summerville at Fort Dorchester – I picked Summerville and I was RIGHT! Summerville won, 17-3.

Ashley Ridge at West Ashley – I picked Ashley Ridge and I was RIGHT! Ashley Ridge won, 17-14.

Dorman vs. Hanna – I picked Dorman to win and I was RIGHT! Dorman won, 45-0.

College
#11USC vs. Navy – I picked the Revolutionary War Heroes to win this game and I was RIGHT! USC won, 24-21.

Clemson vs. Auburn – I picked the Clemson Tigers to win this one and I was RIGHT! Clemson won, 38-24.

CSU at Jacksonville – I picked Jacksonville to win this game and I was RIGHT! The Bucs lost, 30-37.

Wyoming at Bowling Green – I picked Wyoming to win this game and I was RIGHT! Wyoming won, 28-27.

Appalachian State vs. Savannah State – I picked Appalachian State to win this game and I was RIGHT! App State won, 41-6.

NFL
Pittsburgh vs. Seattle – I picked the Steelers to win this game and I was RIGHT! Pittsburgh won, 24-0.

Miami vs. Houston – For some stupid reason I picked Miami to win this game… and I was WRONG (stupid Miami). Miami lost, 13-23.

I’m just sayin… Football Prediction Record

High School: 17-0

College: 16-1

NFL: 1-3

Overall: 34-4

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private John Carr (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 29, 1869 at Chiricahua Mountains, Arizona. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

Master-at-Arms William M. Carr (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 on board the USS Richmond. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Richmond during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Carr performed his duties with skill and courage throughout the prolonged battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the successful attacks carried out on Fort Morgan.

Private William Louis Carr (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from July 21 – August 17, 1900 at Peking, China. His citation reads:

In action at Peking, China, 21 July to 17 August 1900. Throughout this action and in the presence of the enemy, Carr distinguished himself by his conduct.

No comments:

Post a Comment