Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, October 21, 2011

Prepare to Walk…

Tomorrow is the big day! Me and my three little walkers… well, two walkers and one free loading son who would be walking by now if he took after his daddy are going to be walking to end Alzheimer's tomorrow. We could still use your support!  Thank you to my cousin Louis and his wife and girls for their donation!  There is still time for you to join me in the fight.  So don’t be the one loser out there who didn’t give to my Memory Walk. Give now… give here.

The Wife seems to be butting heads with Mary Ruth and Susie a good bit lately… Boy I can’t wait until the girls are teenagers. The funny thing is Mary Ruth is a lot like The Wife (except that Mary Ruth loves me). Susie is her own person... she doesn't really like our dogs.  I mean, I get not liking Donkey... but Maverick?  Really?  How can anyone not like Maverick?

Speaking of Susie, she had her two year old check up this week. She came in at the 50% percentile in height and weight.

Why do people like scary movies? Isn’t life scary enough?

How is Grey’s Anatomy still on the air? Does anyone besides The Wife and Danny (yes, that Danny) really watch that show?

Why does it seem like bad announcers always get the best gig? I mean, Winthrop’s Men’s Basketball team has a great announcer, but there are a lot of men out there with sweet gigs and they really shouldn’t have them.

Sometimes I think me and Jeremy should be an announcing duo.

Other times I think we should have a sports radio show.

There are a lot of bad sports radio shows out there. We could do better than a lot of guys out there.

I just got done reading Odd Man Out: A Year On The Mound With A Minor League Misfit by Matt McCarthy. It’s about a Yale grad who played minor league baseball. Very good book… interesting and an easy read.

New episodes of NCIS on Tuesday nights and new episodes of Psych on Wednesday nights, College football on Saturdays and NFL on Sundays… what a great time of the TV year for me.

I’ve almost got my Halloween costume ready. One word: Brilliant. Two words: Freakin’ Brilliant.

I would watch political debates if they sounded more like a Ric Flair interview… or if the politicians would talk like The Rock.

Hey, remember when my friend Jenn would post on her blog?

True story, part of the reason I started this blog was so I could publicly give her a hard time for not posting on her blog. It wasn’t THE reason… but it was A reason.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

High School
James Island vs. Fort Dorchester – Here we go, a match-up between my Trojans and The Wife’s Patriots. I’m not sure JI is at 100% right now, but I can’t pick against them in this game. I just can’t. So I’m picking James Island to win this game.

Summerville at Ashley Ridge – Normally I would pick Summerville to win this game… but I’ve got a feeling that Ashley Ridge will take this game. I’m picking Ashley Ridge to win this game.

Dorman vs. J.L. Mann – I’m going to pick Dorman to win this game.

College
The Revolutionary War Heroes are off this week.

#8Clemson vs. North Carolina – 12:00pm (ESPN) – Before the season I thought UNC would stink this season. They’re playing a lot better than I thought they would. If this were last season, I’d pick them to win this game. But a lot has changed in Tiger Town since last season… I’m picking Clemson to win this game.

Navy vs. East Carolina - 3:30pm (CBS Sports Network) – Hmm…. I’ve been going back and forth on this one. I was going to pick East Carolina, but I think I’m going to make a last second change here. I’m picking Navy to win this game.

CSU vs. Liberty – 1:30pm (Flames Sports Network) – Are you kidding me? I’m not just picking Liberty to win this game. I’m telling you Liberty will win this game.

Wyoming – Off

Appalachian State vs. Samford – 3:30pm (Appalachian IMG Sports Network) – It’s Homecoming for the Mountaineers… I’m picking Appalachian State to win this game.

NFL
Pittsburgh at Arizona – 4:05pm (CBS) – Just like with the Navy game, I’m going with a last second change on this game. I know the Steelers haven’t been great this season and this is a road game for them, but I’m still picking Pittsburgh to win this game.

Miami vs. Denver – 1:00pm (CBS) – Miami will honor Tim Tebow and his former college teammates at halftime of this game. They will lose to Tim Tebow and his current pro teammates in the first half and second half.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Major Albertus Wright Catlin (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 22, 1914 during the engagement of Vera Cruz. His citation reads:

For distinguished conduct in battle, engagement of Vera Cruz, 22 April 1914. Eminent and conspicuous in command of his battalion, Maj. Catlin exhibited courage and skill in leading his men through the action of the 22d and in the final occupation of the city.

Colonel Isaac S. Catlin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 30, 1864 in Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

In a heroic effort to rally the disorganized troops was disabled by a severe wound. While being carried from the field he recovered somewhat and bravely started to return to his command, when he received a second wound, which necessitated amputation of his right leg.

Staff Sergeant Jon R. Cavaiani (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 4-5, 1971 in the Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

S/Sgt. Cavaiani distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in action in the Republic of Vietnam on 4 and 5 June 1971 while serving as a platoon leader to a security platoon providing security for an isolated radio relay site located within enemy-held territory. On the morning of 4 June 1971, the entire camp came under an intense barrage of enemy small arms, automatic weapons, rocket-propelled grenade and mortar fire from a superior size enemy force. S/Sgt. Cavaiani acted with complete disregard for his personal safety as he repeatedly exposed himself to heavy enemy fire in order to move about the camp's perimeter directing the platoon's fire and rallying the platoon in a desperate fight for survival. S/Sgt. Cavaiani also returned heavy suppressive fire upon the assaulting enemy force during this period with a variety of weapons. When the entire platoon was to be evacuated, S/Sgt. Cavaiani unhesitatingly volunteered to remain on the ground and direct the helicopters into the landing zone. S/Sgt. Cavaiani was able to direct the first 3 helicopters in evacuating a major portion of the platoon. Due to intense increase in enemy fire, S/Sgt. Cavaiani was forced to remain at the camp overnight where he calmly directed the remaining platoon members in strengthening their defenses. On the morning of S June, a heavy ground fog restricted visibility. The superior size enemy force launched a major ground attack in an attempt to completely annihilate the remaining small force. The enemy force advanced in 2 ranks, first firing a heavy volume of small arms automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenade fire while the second rank continuously threw a steady barrage of hand grenades at the beleaguered force. S/Sgt. Cavaiani returned a heavy barrage of small arms and hand grenade fire on the assaulting enemy force but was unable to slow them down. He ordered the remaining platoon members to attempt to escape while he provided them with cover fire. With 1 last courageous exertion, S/Sgt. Cavaiani recovered a machine gun, stood up, completely exposing himself to the heavy enemy fire directed at him, and began firing the machine gun in a sweeping motion along the 2 ranks of advancing enemy soldiers. Through S/Sgt. Cavaiani's valiant efforts with complete disregard for his safety, the majority of the remaining platoon members were able to escape. While inflicting severe losses on the advancing enemy force, S/Sgt. Cavaiani was wounded numerous times. S/Sgt. Cavaiani's conspicuous gallantry, extraordinary heroism and intrepidity at the risk of his life, above and beyond the call of duty, were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment