Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Weekend Update

First, a big thank you goes out to all of you who donated to my memory walk. Because of you, I was able to raise $1,125. My team had 10 members and together we raised a little over $1,400… so as you can tell, I have better friends and family than anyone else on my team. Haha. This is the second straight year I was able to raise more than $1,000. While this $1,125 is down a little from what I was able to raise last year, it’s still the second highest amount I’ve been able to raise for the memory walk. So thank you again for helping me with this.

So, to recap my weekend:

The Wife and I headed to Bethany UMC Friday night for Meg and Stuart’s rehearsal dinner. We almost died on the way there… and by “almost died” I mean we never even got a scratch on us… but only because I am an awesome driver. We were driving down the street when a car pulled out right into me. At least they would have pulled right into me (and by “right into me”, I mean the front of their car would have hit the driver side of my car right in the middle). The only reason that didn’t happen is that I have the reflexes of a NASCAR driver and was able to move out of the way of that car without slowing down (while texting, eating, and changing my clothes… haha, just kidding. I was, however, changing songs on my mp3 player at the time). Anyway, we had a great time at the rehearsal dinner eating bbq and hanging out with our friends Jeremy and Rebecca, Danny (yes, that Danny) and Jen, and Michael and Adrian.

Saturday started with me loading all the kids up into the mini-van and driving down to Patriot’s Pointe for the Memory Walk. Below are some pictures from the event. It was a 3 mile walk and the kids did great. Mary Ruth walked the whole thing with me except for about a 100 yard stretch in the middle (where I carried her on my back). Daniel “walked” it in the front of the stroller and Susie “walked” it in the back of the stroller. Here are the pics:



Must be nice to take a nap during a 3 mile walk

After the walk we hustled back to the house to watch the Clemson game and get ready for Meg’s wedding. What a game.

After The Wife’s dad took Susie and Daniel back to his house, me and Mary Ruth got ready for the wedding. I came thisclose to blogging live during the wedding, but decided against it at the last second. And by “the last second” I mean I had my phone out and was about to log into my virtual office… but thought it wouldn’t set a good example for Mary Ruth. The wedding was nice and everyone said the right things at the right time. After the wedding we dropped Mary Ruth off at the in-laws house and then headed off to the reception. On the way to the reception I got a call from one of The Wife’s sorority sisters. While I can’t remember the last time I spoke to this person, I can’t say this call came as a shock to me. Honestly, ever since 1999 it isn’t uncommon for me to get calls from girls in this sorority. Still, I was driving so I decided to let the caller talk to The Wife. Long story short, we ended up with free tickets to a private box at the Sunday showing of Disney on Ice. But more on that later…

The reception was a blast. The Wife spent most of her time dancing… which was odd since she’s supposed to have a “broken foot”. I’m just sayin… Anyway, there was an open bar and at least one girl there who was dressed like she thought she was going to a college football game, if you know what I mean (at least, that’s what my friend Cory told me). The highlight of the night may have been when my friend KC got to the party. I think I’m right in saying that KC has a tradition of always going to the Clemson/UNC game. I believe this dates back to his freshman year in college (around the same time the ACC became a conference, I think). Anyway, when it was noticed that the wedding was on the same day as the Clemson/UNC, KC proclaimed that he would still be going to the game. LA said he would not be going. I was going to take bets from the other guys in our Sunday School class on whether or not he would go to the game or the wedding… but I couldn’t find anyone who would bet on him going to the game. Well, friends, I may have found a new hero. He went to the game. He then drove all the way back in time for the reception. He received a hero’s welcome from all the men there. I don’t think LA was exactly happy with him… but it was kind of dark so I can’t be 100% sure. I actually have a video of KC entering the reception, but I won’t post it here because my hand was shaking too much (I was worried it might be the last time I’d see KC). All in all, I’d say the reception was a success. A good time was had by all.

We went to Disney on Ice Sunday afternoon. We had a bunch of tickets so we found a handful of people to go with us. I won’t name all of them but I will point out that my friend Ashley was one of them. I also think I need to point out that my friend Clark might have had the best time out of everyone there. It was fun. If you’ve never been to see Disney on Ice, I recommend it. If you go, I recommend you either sit on the front row or in a private box. Below are some pictures and a video from the event.

A view from our box seats




The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

High School
James Island vs. Fort Dorchester – I picked James Island to win this game and I was WRONG! JI lost, 19-45.

Summerville at Ashley Ridge – I picked Ashley Ridge to win this game and I was RIGHT! Summerville lost, 21-36.

Dorman vs. J.L. Mann – I picked Dorman to win this game and I was RIGHT! Dorman won, 42-0.

College
The Revolutionary War Heroes were off last week.

#8Clemson vs. North Carolina – I picked Clemson to win this game and I was RIGHT! Clemson won, 59-38.

Navy vs. East Carolina - I picked Navy to win this game and I was WRONG! Navy lost, 35-38.

CSU vs. Liberty – I told you Liberty would win this game and I was RIGHT! CSU lost, 16-38.

Wyoming was off last week.

Appalachian State vs. Samford – I picked Appalachian State to win this game and I was RIGHT! Appalachian State won, 35-17.

NFL
Pittsburgh at Arizona – I picked Pittsburgh to win this game and I was RIGHT! The Steelers won, 17-13.

Miami vs. Denver – I picked Denver to win this game and I was RIGHT! Miami lost, 15-18.


I’m just sayin… Football Prediction Record

High School: 27-7

College: 34-7

NFL: 8-5

Overall: 69-19


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Class Fireman Thomas Cavanaugh (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 14, 1898 while on board the USS Potomac. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Potomac during the passage of that vessel from Cat Island to Nassau, 14 November 1898. Volunteering to enter the fireroom which was filled with steam, Cavanaugh, after repeated attempts, succeeded in reaching the auxiliary valve and opening it, thereby relieving the vessel from further danger.

Private Charles Cawetzka (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 23, 1900 near Sariaya, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

Single-handed, he defended a disabled comrade against a greatly superior force of the enemy.

Sergeant Ovila Cayer (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 19, 1864 at Weldon Railroad, Virginia. His citation reads:

Commanded the regiment, all the officers being disabled.

No comments:

Post a Comment