Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, November 14, 2011

Congrats Clemson

We at I’m just sayin… would like to start our post today by reminding Sonny that today is his anniversary.

(We will now pause 5 minutes to give Sonny time to send a quick text/email to Terry wishing her a Happy Anniversary… and to let her know he figured out why she was so mad this morning).

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Sonny and Terry! Who knew you two crazy kids would last this long? No, really… who knew? It seems I have misplaced the pool sheet I had showing who bet on what year. Anyway, it probably doesn’t matter… I’m not sure anyone thought it would last this long. I’m pretty sure I had Sonny dying of “natural causes” by their 5th Anniversary. I believe this is now their 19th Anniversary. Congrats!

Congrats also to the Clemson Tigers for winning the ACC Atlantic. I’m pretty sure I predicted they would do it. I’m not sure I posted it… might not have even told anyone. I think I told Maverick. I don’t know if I specifically said they would win the Atlantic this season… but I am sure I have said (and posted on here) that Tony Elliott is a winner and that if Clemson brought him on the staff they would start winning. So I’m going to count this as me being right.

Now let’s take a look at how my predictions were this weekend.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

High School
Summerville vs. Fort Dorchester – I picked Summerville to win this game and I was RIGHT! Summerville won, 28-27.

Ashley Ridge vs. Laurnes – I picked Ashley Ridge to win this game and I was RIGHT! Ashley Ridge won, 48-7.

Dorman at Sumter – I picked Dorman to win this game and I was RIGHT! Dorman won, 46-21.

College
#15South Carolina vs. Florida – I knew the Revolutionary War Heroes wouldn’t let me down again. I picked USC to win this game and I was RIGHT! USC won, 17-12.

#9Clemson vs. Wake Forest – Again, I knew the Tigers wouldn’t let me down again. I picked Clemson to win this game and I was RIGHT! Clemson won, 31-28.

Navy at SMU – I picked Navy to win this game and I was RIGHT! Navy won, 24-17.

CSU vs. Coastal Carolina – I picked CSU to win this game and I was WRONG! CSU lost, 38-45.

Wyoming at Air Force – I picked Air Force to win this game and I was WRONG! Wyoming won, 25-17.

Appalachian State vs. Western Carolina – I picked Appalachian State to win this game and I was RIGHT! Appalachian State won, 46-14.

NFL
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati – I picked Cincinnati to win this game and I was WRONG! The Steelers won, 24-17.

Miami vs. Washington – I picked Miami to win this game and I was RIGHT! The Dolphins won, 20-9.

I’m just sayin… Football Prediction Record

High School: 34-10

College: 45-13

NFL: 11-8

Overall: 90-31

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Gunner’s Mate First Class George Charette (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 2, 1898 in Santiago de Cuba. His citation reads:

In connection with the sinking of the U.S.S. Merrimac at the entrance to the harbor of Santiago de Cuba, 2 June 1898. Despite heavy fire from the Spanish batteries, Charette displayed extraordinary heroism throughout this operation.

Hospital Corpsman Third Class William R. Charette (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 27, 1953 in Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against enemy aggressor forces during the early morning hours. Participating in a fierce encounter with a cleverly concealed and well-entrenched enemy force occupying positions on a vital and bitterly contested outpost far in advance of the main line of resistance, HC3c. Charette repeatedly and unhesitatingly moved about through a murderous barrage of hostile small-arms and mortar fire to render assistance to his wounded comrades. When an enemy grenade landed within a few feet of a marine he was attending, he immediately threw himself upon the stricken man and absorbed the entire concussion of the deadly missile with his body. Although sustaining painful facial wounds, and undergoing shock from the intensity of the blast which ripped the helmet and medical aid kit from his person, HC3c. Charette resourcefully improvised emergency bandages by tearing off part of his clothing, and gallantly continued to administer medical aid to the wounded in his own unit and to those in adjacent platoon areas as well. Observing a seriously wounded comrade whose armored vest had been torn from his body by the blast from an exploding shell, he selflessly removed his own battle vest and placed it upon the helpless man although fully aware of the added jeopardy to himself. Moving to the side of another casualty who was suffering excruciating pain from a serious leg wound, HC3c. Charette stood upright in the trench line and exposed himself to a deadly hail of enemy fire in order to lend more effective aid to the victim and to alleviate his anguish while being removed to a position of safety. By his indomitable courage and inspiring efforts in behalf of his wounded comrades, HC3c. Charette was directly responsible for saving many lives. His great personal valor reflects the highest credit upon himself and enhances the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Sergeant Cornelius H. Charlton (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 2, 1951 near Chipo-ri, Korea. His citation reads:

Sgt. Charlton, a member of Company C, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. His platoon was attacking heavily defended hostile positions on commanding ground when the leader was wounded and evacuated. Sgt. Charlton assumed command, rallied the men, and spearheaded the assault against the hill. Personally eliminating 2 hostile positions and killing 6 of the enemy with his rifle fire and grenades, he continued up the slope until the unit suffered heavy casualties and became pinned down. Regrouping the men he led them forward only to be again hurled back by a shower of grenades. Despite a severe chest wound, Sgt. Charlton refused medical attention and led a third daring charge which carried to the crest of the ridge. Observing that the remaining emplacement which had retarded the advance was situated on the reverse slope, he charged it alone, was again hit by a grenade but raked the position with a devastating fire which eliminated it and routed the defenders. The wounds received during his daring exploits resulted in his death but his indomitable courage, superb leadership, and gallant self-sacrifice reflect the highest credit upon himself the infantry, and the military service.

No comments:

Post a Comment