Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veterans Day!

We at I’m just sayin… would like to start off today by wishing all the Veterans out there a very happy Veterans Day. As you know, I have the highest for these men and women and would like to say thank you for your service.

HAPPY (late) 30th BIRTHDAY to my friend LA (the better half of kcandla.blogspot.com)! I was going to post a happy birthday message for her on her birthday, but I wanted to wait for my friend KC to post something before I did.

Mary Ruth had a project due today at school. She had to decorate a picture of a turkey. She and The Wife worked on it while they were both home sick the past two days. On my way home from work last night, The Wife tells me that Maverick ate the turkey project. You have to know that in situations like this when The Wife blames Maverick, she’s really saying Scooby did it… she just doesn’t want to admit to me that Scooby is an a-hole. How did this happen, you ask? It seems they used fruit loops to decorate the turkey… and then left it on the kid’s table. Who (besides me and everyone else except The Wife and Mary Ruth) would have thought that would be a bad idea? So anyway, The Wife emailed Mary Ruth’s teacher last night to explain what happened. Yep, she’s not even in 1st grade and we’ve already had to use the “My dog ate my homework” excuse.

Before I forget… If there’s anyone out there who can record the Clemson game for me tomorrow, I would appreciate it.

I know you are as excited as I am that the college basketball season has started back up. Winthrop’s first real game is tomorrow and I can’t wait to see The Eagles take the floor to tip off the 2011-2012 season. Coach Randy Peele and his Eagles are coming off a disappointing season and trouble filled off-season, so I’m sure they are also excited to get back to playing games. I have a good feeling for this season. I think Winthrop will win the Big South and make another trip to the NCAA Tournament.

So, a couple of days ago Joe Pa retired only to be fired later in the day. I’ll try to post my thoughts on this situation sometime next week. I don’t have time to get into it right now.

Hey, The Wife and I have TiVo now! We got a hand-me-down TiVo box from her grandparents. It’s an older box that I don’t think they even sell anymore. It isn’t HD or HD ready or anything like that… but that’s ok because we don’t have any HD TVs in our house. We’re waiting to see if that HD stuff is just a fad. Anyway, the important thing is that we’ve joined the TiVo/DVR world so now like all of you, we can record our favorite shows only to delete them without watching them to make room for more shows. Still, it feels good knowing that now we have more than one shot at watching our favorite shows.

Of all the awards shows out there, I enjoy the CMA awards show the most. Speaking of country music, have you heard that Luke Bryan song “Country Girl (Shake It For Me)”? Looks like country music may have finally found the song that will help it break into the all important strip club market.

Looks like it’s playoff time in high school football… when are those guys going to get smart and create a bowl system? I guess they don’t care about academics the way schools that play Division 1-A college football do…

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

High School
Summerville vs. Fort Dorchester – I’m picking Summerville to win this game.

Ashley Ridge vs. Laurnes – I’m picking Ashley Ridge to win this game.

Dorman at Sumter – Hmm… I don’t really have a feel for this game… I guess I’m going to pick Dorman to win.

College
#15South Carolina vs. Florida – 12:00pm (CBS) – This is a big game for USC if they want to have a shot at the SEC East. I know the Revolutionary War Heroes let me down last week against Arkansas, but I’m sticking with them this week. I’m picking USC to win this game.

#9Clemson vs. Wake Forest – 12:00pm (ESPNU) – This is a big game for Clemson if they want to have a shot at the ACC Atlantic. The Tigers let me down in their last game at Georgia Tech, but I’m sticking with them this week. I’m picking Clemson to win this game.

Navy at SMU – 3:30pm (FOX Sports Net) – I’m picking Navy to win this game. I mean, this isn’t the same SMU from the ‘80s… their payroll isn’t nearly that high now.

CSU vs. Coastal Carolina – 1:30pm – I don’t care how bad CSU is, I can’t and won’t pick Coastal Carolina to win. Therefore, I will pick CSU to win this game.

Wyoming at Air Force – 12:00pm MT (The Mtn. HD) – I’m picking Air Force to win this game.

Appalachian State vs. Western Carolina – 3:30pm – I’m picking Appalachian State to win this game.

NFL
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati – 1:00pm (CBS) – Hmm… on the road… I think the Steelers might stumble in this game. I’m picking Cincinnati to win this game.

Miami vs. Washington – 1:00pm (FOX) – The only reason I am going to pick a team to win this game is because I think the rules say someone is going to win this game. So I’m going to pick Miami to win this game.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Scout Amos Chapman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 12, 1874 at Washita River, Texas. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action. (In 1916, the general review of all Medals of Honor deemed 900 unwarranted. This recipient was one of them. In June 1989, the U.S. Army Board of Correction of Records restored the medal to this recipient.)

Private John Chapman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1865 at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

Landsman Louis G. Chaput (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 while on board the USS Lackawanna. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Lackawanna during successful attacks against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the rebel ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Severely wounded, Chaput remained at his gun until relieved, reported to the surgeon and returned to his gun until the action was over. He was then carried below following the action which resulted in the capture of the prize ram Tennessee and in destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment