Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, December 1, 2011

Here’s to you, Chester McGlockton…

I didn’t know Chester McGlockton. I did meet him one time when I was little and got his autograph… but now my youth, that autograph and big Chester are gone. I will be honest when I tell you that I have good thoughts of him. For all I know, he was a jerk. I’m old enough that I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he wasn’t a saint (he played for the Raiders for crying out loud!). But deep down I would like to believe he was a great guy. Why? Because he was a hero from my childhood. You will remember, of course, that McGlockton was a unanimous selection to the I’m just sayin… All-Time Clemson Football Team a year ago. From what I have been told by people who knew him (or at least saw him around campus), it seems he really was a good guy. I can tell you one thing without a doubt… he was a great football player. He played for Clemson back when the school had men on defense. He was huge, but quick… like he was a long lost Perry brother. He was a big part of some of the greatest defenses in Clemson history. This isn’t just memories from my youth… this is the truth. How great was the defense back then? Chester tied for the regular season ACC lead in sacks as a freshman… as a back-up! He was on the last Clemson team to win 10 games… and the last Clemson team to win the ACC. Just as good, he never lost to USC. He went on to play in the NFL and did a fine job there, but in my mind he’ll always be wearing orange… crushing Major Harris in the Gator Bowl and recovering a fumble in the end zone.

He passed away yesterday at 42. There was a day when 42 was old to me… but that day has long since passed. Now 42 is way too young to go. In honor of McGlockton, we will be viewing some of his greatest games at my house tonight.

RIP Big Fella


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Herbert F. Christian (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 2-3, 1944 near Valmontone, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. On 2-3 June 1944, at 1 a.m., Pvt. Christian elected to sacrifice his life in order that his comrades might extricate themselves from an ambush. Braving massed fire of about 60 riflemen, 3 machineguns, and 3 tanks from positions only 30 yards distant, he stood erect and signaled to the patrol to withdraw. The whole area was brightly illuminated by enemy flares. Although his right leg was severed above the knee by cannon fire, Pvt. Christian advanced on his left knee and the bloody stump of his right thigh, firing his submachinegun. Despite excruciating pain, Pvt. Christian continued on his self-assigned mission. He succeeded in distracting the enemy and enabled his 12 comrades to escape. He killed 3 enemy soldiers almost at once. Leaving a trail of blood behind him, he made his way forward 20 yards, halted at a point within 10 yards of the enemy, and despite intense fire killed a machine-pistol man. Reloading his weapon, he fired directly into the enemy position. The enemy appeared enraged at the success of his ruse, concentrated 20-mm. machinegun, machine-pistol and rifle fire on him, yet he refused to seek cover. Maintaining his erect position, Pvt. Christian fired his weapon to the very last. Just as he emptied his submachinegun, the enemy bullets found their mark and Pvt. Christian slumped forward dead. The courage and spirit of self-sacrifice displayed by this soldier were an inspiration to his comrades and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the armed forces.

First Lieutenant James I. Christiancy (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 28, 1864 at Hawes Shops, Virginia. His citation reads:

While acting as aide, voluntarily led a part of the line into the fight, and was twice wounded.

Private First Class Stanley R. Christianson (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1950 in Seoul, Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company E, in action against enemy aggressor forces at Hill 132, in the early morning hours. Manning 1 of the several listening posts covering approaches to the platoon area when the enemy commenced the attack, Pfc. Christianson quickly sent another marine to alert the rest of the platoon. Without orders, he remained in his position and, with full knowledge that he would have slight chance of escape, fired relentlessly at oncoming hostile troops attacking furiously with rifles, automatic weapons, and incendiary grenades. Accounting for 7 enemy dead in the immediate vicinity before his position was overrun and he himself fatally struck down, Pfc. Christianson, by his superb courage, valiant fighting spirit, and devotion to duty, was responsible for allowing the rest of the platoon time to man positions, build up a stronger defense on that flank, and repel the attack with 41 of the enemy destroyed, many more wounded, and 3 taken prisoner. His self-sacrificing actions in the face of overwhelming odds sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. Pfc. Christianson gallantly gave his life for his country.

No comments:

Post a Comment