Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, January 15, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE GEORGE!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Staff Sergeant Peter S. Connor (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 25, 1966 in Quang Nag Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against enemy Viet Cong forces at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Leading his platoon on a search and destroy operation in an area made particularly hazardous by extensive cave and tunnel complexes, S/Sgt. Connor maneuvered his unit aggressively forward under intermittent enemy small-arms fire. Exhibiting particular alertness and keen observation, he spotted an enemy spider hole emplacement approximately 15 meters to his front. He pulled the pin from a fragmentation grenade intending to charge the hole boldly and drop the missile into its depths. Upon pulling the pin he realized that the firing mechanism was faulty, and that even as he held the safety device firmly in place, the fuse charge was already activated. With only precious seconds to decide, he further realized that he could not cover the distance to the small opening of the spider hole in sufficient time, and that to hurl the deadly bomb in any direction would result in death or injury to some of his comrades tactically deployed near him. Manifesting extraordinary gallantry and with utter disregard for his personal safety, he chose to hold the grenade against his body in order to absorb the terrific explosion and spare his comrades. His act of extreme valor and selflessness in the face of virtually certain death, although leaving him mortally wounded, spared many of his fellow marines from death or injury. His gallant action in giving his life in the cause of freedom reflects the highest credit upon the Marine Corps and the Armed Forces of the United States.

Ordinary Seaman Thomas Connor (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 15, 1865 on board the USS Minnesota. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Minnesota, in action during the assault on Fort Fisher, 15 January 1865. Landing on the beach with the assaulting party from his ship, Connor charged up to the palisades and, when more than two-thirds of the men became seized with panic and retreated on the run, risked his life to remain with a wounded officer. With the enemy concentrating his fire on the group, he waited until after dark before assisting in carrying the wounded man from the field.

Boatswain’s Mate William C. Connor (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 25, 1864 on board the USS Howquah. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Howquah on the occasion of the destruction of the blockade runner Lynx, off Wilmington, 25 September 1864. Performing his duty faithfully under the most trying circumstances, Connor stood firmly at his post in the midst of a crossfire from the rebel shore batteries and our own vessels.


We at I’m just sayin… would like to wish my Uncle George a very Happy Birthday! Uncle George, you should know, was the only person to offer to let me live in his house after I graduated from college. This act of kindness will be remembered. We would also like to wish my cousin John a happy birthday!

We would also like to take a moment to remember my grandfather (Da) who died on this day in 1995. The calendar says it’s been 17 years, but it doesn’t really feel that long ago. He was probably the funniest person I’ve ever known. I bet he’d love playing with Mary Ruth, Susie and Daniel. And, of course, he would have loved The Wife. We’d also like to take a moment to remember our first-born dog, Lucy, who passed away on this day last year. I wish she could have lived long enough for Daniel to play with her. She was the best dog with babies.


The I’m just sayin… Bible Verse of the Week
Proverbs 17:17

A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment