Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, January 9, 2012

Party Weekend

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal John W. Collier (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 19, 1950 near Chindong-ni, Korea. His citation reads:

Cpl. Collier, Company C, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action. While engaged in an assault on a strategic ridge strongly defended by a fanatical enemy, the leading elements of his company encountered intense automatic weapons and grenade fire. Cpl. Collier and 3 comrades volunteered and moved forward to neutralize an enemy machine gun position which was hampering the company's advance, but they were twice repulsed. On the third attempt, Cpl. Collier, despite heavy enemy fire and grenade barrages, moved to an exposed position ahead of his comrades, assaulted and destroyed the machine gun nest, killing at least 4 enemy soldiers. As he returned down the rocky, fire-swept hill and joined his squad, an enemy grenade landed in their midst. Shouting a warning to his comrades, he, selflessly and unhesitatingly, threw himself upon the grenade and smothered its explosion with his body. This intrepid action saved his comrades from death or injury. Cpl. Collier's supreme, personal bravery, consummate gallantry, and noble self-sacrifice reflect untold glory upon himself and uphold the honored traditions of the military service.

Corporal Harrison Collins (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 24, 1864 at Richland Creek, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of Chalmer's Division (C.S.A.).

Sergeant Thomas D. Collins (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 15, 1864 at Resaca, Georgia. His citation reads:

Captured a regimental flag of the enemy.


I had a great weekend attending two “first” birthday parties. On Saturday we packed up the van and traveled over to the Zobel Estate for my Godson Lucas’ birthday party. While others have a jump castle or water slide (or both), Lucas went all out with an open bar. Best. Party. Ever. Friends, Jeremy and Rebecca have raised the bar when it comes to children’s birthday parties. After Lucas’ party we went out to eat with 4 of my favorite people: Danny (yes, that Danny), my favorite nurse Jen, my favorite bank executive J. Michael, and my very good friend Adrian. This was a rare time for us to eat out at night with the kids. We usually don’t do this because the kids don’t like to sit and be quiet. They did ok on this night… though they started to get a little wild near the end. As we were leaving, I gave J. Michael a chance to practice putting a baby in a car seat. The only advice I gave him was to watch Daniel’s head. I forgot to tell him to watch his own head. Daniel made it in without any trouble… I can’t say the same for J. Michael. Oh well… I guess we’ll just chalk this up as a learning experience for him.

On Sunday we went to the house of my good friends Ashley and Cory (Husband of Ashley) for Ellis Cate’s first birthday. I have to give Cory credit here… how do you follow-up an open bar party without having an open bar? Have the party on a Sunday. Then tell everyone the HOA wouldn’t let you have an open bar birthday party on a Sunday. Everyone hates HOA’s anyway… so it’s easy to believe they would have such an evil rule. Now, what did they have? They had a jump castle, cupcakes, and clown noses that the guests could take home. I don’t know about you, but that’s enough to make me happy. It was also another chance for me to see all of my friends (which I’m sure is just what Ellis Cate wanted).

So… I think I may have enjoyed the cake and cupcakes (and… perhaps… just maybe… the all meat calzone that I ate Saturday night) a little too much. As you’ll see in my next segment, I found four pounds this past week. Oh well, I’ll just have to do better this week.


The I’m just sayin… Weekly Weigh-In

Greg - 238

Mary Ruth - 45

Susie - 25

Daniel - 21


The I’m just sayin… College Football Playoffs (Playoffs!?) Third Round Results:

1 LSU (SEC Champion) vs. 4 Stanford (At Large) – I picked Stanford to win this game and I was RIGHT! Stanford pulled off the 24 – 22 upset.

2 Oklahoma St. (Big 12 Champion) vs. 6 Arkansas (At Large) – I picked Oklahoma State to win this game and I was RIGHT! Oklahoma State won 63 – 60 in 3 OT.


The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

NFL
Pittsburgh at Denver – 4:30pm (CBS) – I picked the Steelers to win this game and I was WRONG! Tebow… uh… Denver won, 29-23 in OT. Now that the Steelers are out of it, I will be pulling for Denver to win it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment