Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, January 2, 2012

So about last Saturday night

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Chief Gunner’s Mate John J. Clausey (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 21, 1905 on board the USS Bennington. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Bennington for extraordinary heroism displayed at the time of the explosion of a boiler of that vessel at San Diego, Calif., 21 July 1905.

Captain Cecil Clay (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1864 at Fort Harrison, Virginia. His citation reads:

Led his regiment in the charge, carrying the colors of another regiment, and when severely wounded in the right arm, incurring loss of same, he shifted the colors to the left hand, which also became disabled by a gunshot wound.

Private Charles F. Cleveland (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 17, 1862 at Antietam, Maryland. His citation reads:

Voluntarily took and carried the colors into action after the color bearer had been shot.


So I have been asked a good bit about my tweets from Saturday night at the Winthrop game. By the way, if you don’t follow I’m just sayin… on twitter (@Imjustsayin___) then you should. Or you can just read my tweets on the side of this blog. Either way is fine with me. But back to the story… As you know, Jeremy and I have season tickets to Winthrop men’s basketball games. Our tickets are on the front row, middle section right next to the visitors section (almost right behind the visitors bench). This is the same area we sat in back when we were students (and we could sit wherever we wanted). Anyway, I would say it’s pretty safe to say that 99.99% of the time being this close to the visitor section isn’t an issue. Last Saturday night, it became a little issue. This might come as a shock to most of you, but in general Jeremy yells during the game more than I do. I’m not talking about yelling “Go Eagles” or “Defense” or that kind of stuff. I mean yelling at players, refs, coaches… that kind of thing. This is due in large part to the fact that I can’t think of anything funny to say until the moment has passed. Jeremy is usually better at thinking on his feet. Of course, that doesn’t mean that Jeremy is always yelling or that I never yell… it just means that in general he yells more than me. I’m not sure any of this has anything to do with what happened Saturday night, so I’ll move along. There’s a white haired man who was sitting on the other side of the aisle… if I had to describe how he looked I would say he looked like this:


Before I continue, let me say I have no idea who this guy is. He could be some big shot from UNCA or he could be some random jackass that they let sit on the front row of the visitor’s section every time UNCA plays at Winthrop. He’s had run-in’s in the past with fans from Winthrop… so I’m starting to think that maybe he’s the problem. So back to Saturday night… starting about 1 minute into the game, this guy and the three females beside him (possibly his wife and two daughters… or his wife and two girlfriends… or just 3 random females, I have no idea) start yelling complaints non-stop. “How could Winthrop have 0 fouls?!” (fyi… UNCA only had 1… and we were really about 1, maybe 2 minutes into the game) “That was a travel!” and my favorite “THREE SECONDS!!!” (fyi… That’s something that I’ve gone multiple seasons in a row without seeing it called. It’s that rare of a call). Still, these experts of the game would just not stop. Now to be fair, between me and Jeremy one of us might have mimicked these crybabies a couple of times later in the game (and by one of us, I’m pretty sure it was me). It’s not something I do often, but I really couldn’t help it this time. By the way, I’ve had other fans make fun of me before. It happens (especially on the road). I didn’t yell anything at them or two them… so for all they know I really do sound like that at games. Before I go on, if any of you know the man in that picture and are friends with him… give him some advice my friend Scott (aka Dumpy) once gave me: “If you b*tch about something, it shows you care. If you b*tch about everything, you’re just a b*tch”. If your friend isn’t smart enough to put two and two together… tell him he b*tched about everything Saturday night. Anyway, at one point there was a hard foul by an Asheville player. So we start yelling. I think it was shortly after this play (though it may have just been a continuation of this play) there was a media TO (or one of the teams called a TO, I don’t remember)… one thing led to another and some players started pushing each other. Jeremy started yelling at the UNCA player… I started yelling at the UNCA coach to control his players. Next thing I know, old white-head is shouting at us. I don’t remember everything he’s yelling… but I know he did yell that (while pointing at the UNCA bench) “That’s our bench!”. I don’t think we said anything back because… well… that was their bench. And we knew that. Why in the hell would we yell at the Winthrop bench? We were pulling for Winthrop. I’m not going to yell for Coach Peele to control his team. So I wasn’t sure why he was saying that (and I’m still not sure). He then starts yelling (and I’m not making this up) “Do you want me to go get the President?! I’ll go get the President!!” He yelled that a few times. I assume he was talking about the Winthrop President… though as Jeremy later pointed out to me, he never actually said which president… so he could have been talking about President Obama. Still, I’m going to assume he was talking about the Winthrop President. Now, I tell you this with all honesty… I wish he had gone and gotten the Winthrop President. Why? Because that would have given me a chance to meet him. I guess I’ve met him once already, but that was just a quick handshake as I walked across the stage at graduation. And I would like to have seen what he would do. I don’t want to sound like I’m some bigshot donor who should get whatever he wants… but I can tell you I give more money to the school each year than it gives to me. Plus, I’m kind of a big deal. Then again, I don’t want to make this all about me. There’s a good chance this guy was pissed off at Jeremy about something and it had nothing to do with me. I doubt it, but there’s a chance. Anyway, he ends up going to get security and tells her that we were yelling at him. The security guard came over to talk to us (she didn’t say it, but I think she did it just to shut him up). She asked if we said anything to the old jackass (I’m not sure if she worded it that way, but that’s how I heard it). We said no. She asked if we had left our seats. I pointed to my stomach and told her it takes a lot to get me out of my seat. She laughed and told us to try to not hurt the old man’s feelings. I was a good boy and didn’t say anything to the guy… but I have to admit it wasn’t easy. What grown man goes and tattles at a game? Who throws a hissy fit and says they’re going to tell the president? How did we skip past my parents? And what about Jeremy’s parents? I’m sure they would want a shot at correcting whatever issues Jeremy has before the WU President was given a shot. Anyway, there it is. That’s the story about how Jeremy slapped a man in the face and had to spend a night in jail only to have me break him out in time for us to flee to Summerville in time to ring in the new year. I still have no idea what that guy’s problem was. Jeremy blames my mimicking, but I don’t think that was it (because I didn’t really stop doing it… I cut back… but I just couldn’t completely stop). So I’m not sure what it was. Anyway, I still like UNCA… not as much as I like Winthrop (of course), but more than I like almost any other Big South school (with the exception of CSU).


The I’m just sayin… Weekly Weigh-in

Greg234  *Hmm... looks like the holiday weight is still on me.

Mary Ruth - 44

Susie - 25

Daniel - 17


The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

NFL
Pittsburgh at Cleveland – I picked the Steelers to win this game and I was RIGHT! Pittsburgh won, 13-9.

Miami vs. NY Jets – I picked Miami to win this game and I was RIGHT! The Dolphins won, 19-17.

I’m just sayin… Football Prediction Record

High School: 35-12

College: 53-16

NFL: 17-10

Overall: 103-37

No comments:

Post a Comment