Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, February 10, 2012

Basketball

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Andrew J. Cummins (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1898 at Santiago, Cuba. His citation reads:

Gallantly assisted in the rescue of the wounded from in front of the lines and under heavy fire of the enemy.

Private James M. Cumpston (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August to November 1864 during the Shenandoah Valley Campaign. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

Corporal Charles Cunningham (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 25, 1876 at Little Big Horn River, Montana. His citation reads:

Declined to leave the line when wounded in the neck during heavy fire and fought bravely all next day.


So how about ESPN bringing the post-NFL heat this past Wednesday night with two great college basketball match-ups? Georgetown/Syracuse in the first game with Duke/UNC in the late game. A great way, if you ask me, to remind sports fans that college basketball is well worth watching. I admit I haven’t seen too many games on TV this season… I’ve got to be honest, I really like the Brent Musburger/Bob Knight announcing duo (they called the Georgetown game). Watching the Hoyas reminded me of the year my friend Zach and I were the only two white guys in a basketball league. We played for the Hoyas that year. It was a lot of fun and I believe I averaged a triple-double (points, rebounds and assists). I tell you this not to brag, but because I know there’s no real way for you to verify this information.

Oh, I also loved the announcers for the Duke/UNC game (Jay Bilas, Dick Vitale and a third guy whose name escapes me right now). I could listen to Bilas and Vitale all day long. I love them and I love the way they work together. Here’s a little something from the game Wednesday that I remember.

Dickie V: “Did you know Jay lost to UNC by 31 the first time he played them?”

Jay: “Yeah, that Jordan guy was pretty good.”


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Greg Buckner (note – most of this info came from Wikipedia): Greg Buckner was born in Kentucky but came to this great state to play basketball for Rick Barnes at Clemson. He played guard/forward and, apparently, was so great that Barnes decided he couldn’t coach at Clemson without him. Buckner was the ACC Freshman of the Year in 1995, on the All-Defensive Team in 1997 and was Second Team All-ACC in 1997 and 1998. Perhaps his most memorable moment as a Tiger came in the clip below. Buckner was selected in the second round (53rd overall) of the 1998 NBA Draft by the Dallas Mavericks after playing leaving Clemson. He has played for the Mavericks, Philadelphia 76ers, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Timberwolves and Memphis Grizzlies with a career scoring average of 5.0 points per game. After playing with the Mavericks from 1999 to 2002, Buckner signed with the 76ers as a free agent. He was waived after two seasons with the 76ers, then signed with the Denver Nuggets. In 2006, he re-signed with the Dallas Mavericks, but after one season, he was traded to the Timberwolves for Trenton Hassell on September 28, 2007. In June 2008, the Timberwolves traded him to the Memphis Grizzlies with Marko Jaric and Antoine Walker for Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins. On July 9, 2009, Buckner was traded to the Dallas Mavericks as a part of the four-team deal among Grizzlies, Mavericks, Orlando Magic and Toronto Raptors. While he didn’t play on the greatest Clemson basketball teams, I do think it’s safe to say he played during an exciting time for Clemson basketball. Greg Buckner is a SC Athlete you should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment