Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Happy Thursday

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Landsman William J. Creelman (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions in February 1897 on board the USS Maine. His citation reads:

Attached to the U.S.S. Maine, February 1897. Distinguishing himself, Creelman showed extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession during an attempt to save life at sea.

Coxswain George Cregan (US Navy) received his first Medal of Honor for his actions on April 21, 1914 on board the USS Florida at Vera Cruz, Mexico. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Florida, for extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession during the seizure of Vera Cruz, Mexico, 21 April 1914. Cregan was ashore when he volunteered for an assault detail under Ens. George Maus Lowry on the Vera Cruz Customhouse under enemy fire both in the alley between the customhouse and warehouse and the assault over objective's walls. During the move up the alley, he tended a wounded comrade, J. F. Schumaker, holding a compress with one hand and firing with the other.

Corporal Michael J. Crescenz (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 20, 1968 in the Hiep Duc Valley area, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

Cpl. Crescenz distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a rifleman with Company A. In the morning his unit engaged a large, well-entrenched force of the North Vietnamese Army whose initial burst of fire pinned down the lead squad and killed the 2 point men, halting the advance of Company A. Immediately, Cpl. Crescenz left the relative safety of his own position, seized a nearby machine gun and, with complete disregard for his safety, charged 100 meters up a slope toward the enemy's bunkers which he effectively silenced, killing the 2 occupants of each. Undaunted by the withering machine gun fire around him, Cpl. Crescenz courageously moved forward toward a third bunker which he also succeeded in silencing, killing 2 more of the enemy and momentarily clearing the route of advance for his comrades. Suddenly, intense machine gun fire erupted from an unseen, camouflaged bunker. Realizing the danger to his fellow soldiers, Cpl. Crescenz disregarded the barrage of hostile fire directed at him and daringly advanced toward the position. Assaulting with his machine gun, Cpl. Crescenz was within 5 meters of the bunker when he was mortally wounded by the fire from the enemy machine gun. As a direct result of his heroic actions, his company was able to maneuver freely with minimal danger and to complete its mission, defeating the enemy. Cpl. Crescenz's bravery and extraordinary heroism at the cost of his life are in the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.


I keep forgetting… We at I’m just sayin… would like to send a big Welcome to 2012 to our friends The Wrights. I was starting to worry that Danny’s (yes, that Danny’s) “Man Room” was never going to get done (or even worked on). My advice to Danny is to get it done now… the longer you wait, the greater chance you won’t do it. Why do I say this? Because our bedroom door has a hole in it… a hole that has been there for about 5 years now. It’s not important how it got there (one wild night? perhaps…), the point is it’s still there… even though we know a guy who can give us a great deal on a new door (and by great deal I mean we get the door and a local “new” church would get the bill). From reading the latest post, I think The Wrights are on pace to get the room done by February 6 (the day after the Super Bowl). I’m willing to come over to help them get it done by the 5th. I won’t actually do any work… I’ll just be there to motivate. :)




Thankful Thursday

I am thankful that Mary Ruth had a good visit at our favorite Children’s Hospital on Tuesday. She’s had a lot of UTIs in six short years so our doctor sent us down there to see what they thought. One fear is that she had a kidney infection. So, The Wife took her down there Tuesday morning so they could run some tests. Reports I received said that Mary Ruth was a good girl while the tests were run. She was also pretty loopy after the tests (as they had to give her anesthesia). After the tests, The Wife took Mary Ruth over to my parents house while they waited for our 2:00 appointment with Dr. Kate (a nurse practitioner with a PhD who The Wife and Mary Ruth love). I met them for our appointment where I met Dr. Kate for the first time. I can’t say for sure, but I think the first thing she noticed (after my stunningly good looks) was my modified work badge which said “Friend of Jen Wright”. Why do I say this? I could see it in her eyes… I don’t know what she was thinking, but when she walked in the room her eyes said, “WOW! Hello Stud”, followed by “Oh crap… Does his badge say ‘Friend of Jen Wright’? I’m going to have to bring my ‘A’ game now.” She said that Mary Ruth has Grade 1 Kidney Reflux (I had to have The Wife remind me… all I could remember when we left was Grade 1). This, from what I understand, is a lot better than a kidney infection. Now all we have to do is give her an anti-biotic for one year. This isn’t all great… since she is the worst of our three at taking medicine, but it’s better than some of the other options. So I am thankful that we now know what is wrong and what we need to do to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment