Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Extra Large Picture Tuesday

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Duane E. Dewey (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 16, 1952 near Panmunjon, Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a gunner in a machine gun platoon of Company E, in action against enemy aggressor forces. When an enemy grenade landed close to his position while he and his assistant gunner were receiving medical attention for their wounds during a fierce night attack by numerically superior hostile forces, Cpl. Dewey, although suffering intense pain, immediately pulled the corpsman to the ground and, shouting a warning to the other marines around him. bravely smothered the deadly missile with his body, personally absorbing the full force of the explosion to save his comrades from possible injury or death. His indomitable courage, outstanding initiative, and valiant efforts in behalf of others in the face of almost certain death reflect the highest credit upon Cpl. Dewey and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Colonel Louis P. De Cesnola (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 17, 1863 at Aldie, Virginia. His citation reads:

Was present, in arrest, when, seeing his regiment fall back, he rallied his men, accompanied them, without arms, in a second charge, and in recognition of his gallantry was released from arrest. He continued in the action at the head of his regiment until he was desperately wounded and taken prisoner.

Private First Class James H. Diamond (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 14, 1945 at Mintal, Mindanao, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

As a member of the machinegun section, he displayed extreme gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty . When a Japanese sniper rose from his foxhole to throw a grenade into their midst, this valiant soldier charged and killed the enemy with a burst from his submachine gun; then, by delivering sustained fire from his personal arm and simultaneously directing the fire of 105mm. and .50 caliber weapons upon the enemy pillboxes immobilizing this and another machinegun section, he enabled them to put their guns into action. When 2 infantry companies established a bridgehead, he voluntarily assisted in evacuating the wounded under heavy fire; and then, securing an abandoned vehicle, transported casualties to the rear through mortar and artillery fire so intense as to render the vehicle inoperative and despite the fact he was suffering from a painful wound. The following day he again volunteered, this time for the hazardous job of repairing a bridge under heavy enemy fire. On 14 May 1945, when leading a patrol to evacuate casualties from his battalion, which was cut off, he ran through a virtual hail of Japanese fire to secure an abandoned machine gun. Though mortally wounded as he reached the gun, he succeeded in drawing sufficient fire upon himself so that the remaining members of the patrol could reach safety. Pfc. Diamond's indomitable spirit, constant disregard of danger, and eagerness to assist his comrades, will ever remain a symbol of selflessness and heroic sacrifice to those for whom he gave his life.


Before we get to the pictures/videos, let me first share some thoughts from the Pedal 4 Pattisons Spin-a-thon…

If you’ve never been spinning, it’s like riding a stationary bike… only harder.

I’d like to find the person who designed the seat to those bikes and punch him/her in the throat… possibly twice.

I made it my full 45 minute shift.

That brings my life-time spinning total up to 45 minutes.

I could have done without the woman up front “motivating” us. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure she did a great job and everyone else loved her… All I’m saying is I could have done without it. I mean, maybe I didn’t want to stand up and ride. Ever think of that? Our bike was missing one of the peddle straps, so excuse me for not wanting to be “that” fat guy who tried to keep up only to have my foot slip causing me to fall off my bike and hit the person next to me causing a domino-like chain reaction that would be on YouTube before I could stand back up. So no thank you on the standing up. And really, I don't need someone telling me we're coming up to a hill... Because we weren't coming up to a hill due to the fact we were on stationary bikes. Plus there were a good 30+ rows of bikes, there's no hill around here that over 30 rows of bikes is going up at the same time. It just isn't realistic.

Having said that, I realize I have no problem believing a smuggler & his wookie best friend used their spaceship to rescue a Jedi master with some kid and a couple of droids or that a baby boy in England lived after being hit with a death curse only to grow up to defeat the most evil wizard in the world. So again, maybe it's just me.

My motivation was hearing Coach Hatley in my head telling me that alumni from St. Andrews & Stratford weren't going to stop early. I realize Sonny is the only one who knows what I'm talking about... So the rest of you might just have to trust me that that's funny.

All in all it was a great time and I'm sure I can speak for The Wife & say THANK YOU to my friends Ashley & Jen for riding with us. The Wife is lucky that I have such great friends.

Oh, and thanks to No-Name Teri who felt moved to donate to this great cause.

The total amount raised for Pattison's was over $200,000.

The pictures below are from the Elton John Concert and Pedal for Pattison’s.

Picture Tuesday


View from our seats at the Elton John concert.  Woman in the bottom left corner is the woman I was telling you about.

The Wife and her bigger... er... better half at the concert.

He didn't look so far away in real life.




If you look in the second row from the back, you'll see The Wife.

People of all ages were at this even raising money for Pattison's.


Me... making spinning look easy.


My favorite nurse Jen helping out the team.

2011 I'm just sayin... Fan of the Year Ashley doing her part for the team.

Ashley, The Wife, Jen

Me with 3 little angels over my shoulder... one on the right telling me to be good, one on the left telling me to be bad and one in the middle yelling at me for listening to the other two but not her.

No comments:

Post a Comment