Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Seaman John Dempsey (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 23, 1875 on board the USS Kearsarge. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Kearsarge at Shanghai, China, 23 January 1875. Displaying gallant conduct, Dempsey jumped overboard from the Kearsarge and rescued from drowning one of the crew of that vessel.

Coxswain John Dempster (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 24-25, 1864 and January 13-15, 1865 on board the USS New Ironsides. His citation reads:

Dempster served on board the U.S.S. New Ironsides during action in several attacks on Fort Fisher, 24 and 25 December 1864; and 13, 14, and 15 January 1865. The ship steamed in and took the lead in the ironclad division close inshore and immediately opened its starboard battery in a barrage of well-directed fire to cause several fires and explosions and dismount several guns during the first 2 days of fighting. Taken under fire as she steamed into position on 13 January, the New Ironsides fought all day and took on ammunition at night despite severe weather conditions. When the enemy came out of his bombproofs to defend the fort against the storming party, the ship's battery disabled nearly every gun on the fort facing the shore before the cease-fire orders were given by the flagship.

Captain of the Top Michael Deneef (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 1, 1875 on board the USS Swatara. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Swatara at Para, Brazil, 1 December 1875. Displaying gallant conduct, Deneef jumped overboard and rescued one of the crew of that vessel from drowning.


2 days left to donate to Pedal 4 Pattisons! Don’t be the only person out there not to donate to this great cause. Don’t wait… donate now. If you’re not sure if you’ve already given… give again. Click on the link at the side of this page or just click here to donate on my page or here to donate to The Wife’s page. Don’t forget to pray I don’t pass out and/or die during this thing on Saturday.

While this isn’t going in my “Thankful Thursday” section, I did want to say I’m thankful for the donation that AJ and Jane gave to Pedal 4 Pattisons. I am also thankful for the donation that Sonny gave. It’s great to have family like AJ, Jane and Sonny who you can count on when trying to raise money. Just think of how much I could raise if I had another sibling like Sonny who would help me help others. If only my parents had just one other child out there… any where… maybe even in the Columbia area… who loved their (her) brother enough to donate to this outstanding cause. I’m not saying this hypothetical sibling of mine would have to donate a ton of money to a cause that her sister-in-law (er… hypothetical sister-in-law) is passionate about, I’m just sayin it’d be nice if she were to donate a token amount to show that she cares. That’s all. Friends, as you know Sonny is a public servant much like myself (only much, much older)… and like me, Sonny believes in “giving back” to the community. Because that’s how our parents raised their children… well, at least 2 of their children. I know, I know… you’re thinking, “Greg, this isn’t really your fundraiser. It’s The Wife’s. Why do you care so much?” Well friends, I can because I believe I said on here at one point that you could donate to my page or to The Wife’s page and it seems like far too many of you have picked The Wife over me. So far she has raised $650 while I have raise $350. Therefore, let it be known that on Friday night I will be calling any and all who have not donated anything and they will be asked (and by asked I mean forced) to give enough to make up the difference (+$1… I’m not in this to tie, I’m in it to win). Thank you.


Thankful Thursday

I’m still pretty worn out from last night (and from my above “talk”), so this will be a short Thankful Thursday: I’m thankful I’ve been able to attend as many concerts as I have over the years. Music is great… live music is outstanding. It’s not as easy to go to concerts now that I’ve got kids, but it’s great when I get to go. If I could do college all over again, I’d go to more school sporting events and more concerts. Charlotte usually has a ton of good groups coming through every year. I feel like I’m leaving someone off, but over the years I have seen the following people/groups live (in no order):

Elton John

Hootie and the Blowfish (multiple times)

Reba McEntire

Barenaked Ladies (at least twice)

Gin Blossoms

Bon Jovi

Poison

Cinderella

Skid Row

I had tickets to see Dr. Dre, but they ended up cancelling the show due to poor ticket sales. I’m still ticked about that one.

Like I said, I feel like I’m leaving someone off, but I can’t remember. Still, that’s the list that comes to mind. I think some of those groups played at the same concert… all of them were great to watch live. So that’s what I’m thankful for today… great live music.

No comments:

Post a Comment