Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, July 16, 2012

Is it football season yet?

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Second Lieutenant Thomas N. Graham (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 25, 1863, at Missionary Ridge, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Seized the colors from the color bearer, who had been wounded, and, exposed to a terrible fire, carried them forward, planting them on the enemy's breastworks.

Platoon Sergeant Bruce Alan Grandstaff (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 18, 1967, at Pleiku Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. P/Sgt. Grandstaff distinguished himself while leading the Weapons Platoon, Company B, on a reconnaissance mission near the Cambodian border. His platoon was advancing through intermittent enemy contact when it was struck by heavy small arms and automatic weapons fire from 3 sides. As he established a defensive perimeter, P/Sgt. Grandstaff noted that several of his men had been struck down. He raced 30 meters through the intense fire to aid them but could only save 1. Denied freedom to maneuver his unit by the intensity of the enemy onslaught, he adjusted artillery to within 45 meters of his position. When helicopter gunships arrived, he crawled outside the defensive position to mark the location with smoke grenades. Realizing his first marker was probably ineffective, he crawled to another location and threw his last smoke grenade but the smoke did not penetrate the jungle foliage. Seriously wounded in the leg during this effort he returned to his radio and, refusing medical aid, adjusted the artillery even closer as the enemy advanced on his position. Recognizing the need for additional firepower, he again braved the enemy fusillade, crawled to the edge of his position and fired several magazines of tracer ammunition through the jungle canopy. He succeeded in designating the location to the gunships but this action again drew the enemy fire and he was wounded in the other leg. Now enduring intense pain and bleeding profusely, he crawled to within 10 meters of an enemy machine gun which had caused many casualties among his men. He destroyed the position with hand grenades but received additional wounds. Rallying his remaining men to withstand the enemy assaults, he realized his position was being overrun and asked for artillery directly on his location. He fought until mortally wounded by an enemy rocket. Although every man in the platoon was a casualty, survivors attest to the indomitable spirit and exceptional courage of this outstanding combat leader who inspired his men to fight courageously against overwhelming odds and cost the enemy heavy casualties. P/Sgt. Grandstaff's selfless gallantry, above and beyond the call of duty, are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

Surgeon Gabriel Grant (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 1, 1862, at Fair Oaks, Virginia. His citation reads:

Removed severely wounded officers and soldiers from the field while under a heavy fire from the enemy, exposing himself beyond the call of duty, thus furnishing an example of most distinguished gallantry.


Don’t forget to click here to vote for the Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame. When you vote, remember to vote for Hatley, Glaze and Reams.

Don’t get me wrong, I love baseball just as much as my brother Sonny… but as a Cubs fan, this is usually the time of year when I’m glad I have all of these old Clemson football games on DVD. I wish I had old USC games… maybe I should start a collection. Navy games too (though I am building a pretty good collection of Navy games vs. Notre Dame and Army… still, it’d be nice to have older games). While I’m talking about what I’d like… I wish I had a tape of The Citadel baseball teams run in 1990 to the CWS. Either their games against Miami or their game against Cal State Fullerton. Somebody out there has to have one or all of these games. Help me out.

I’m thinking of going to more college football tailgates this year. It’d be nice if I could also get into the games… but I’d really like to go to the tailgates. It would make for some pretty good Picture Tuesdays this fall.


The I’m just sayin… Weekly Weigh-In

Greg 235

Mary Ruth 48

Susie 27

Daniel 26

No comments:

Post a Comment