Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, July 27, 2012

We made it to Friday!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Edward P. Grimes (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from September 29 to October 5, 1879, at Milk River, Colorado. His citation reads:

The command being almost out of ammunition and surrounded on 3 sides by the enemy, he voluntarily brought up a supply under heavy flre at almost point blank range.

Private Samuel Grimshaw (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 6, 1864, at Atlanta, Georgia. His citation reads:

Saved the lives of some of his comrades, and greatly imperiled his own by picking up and throwing away a lighted shell which had fallen in the midst of the company.

Colonel James G. Grindlay (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1865, at Five Forks, Virginia. His citation reads:

The first to enter the enemy's works, where he captured 2 flags.


I have no words of wisdom for you today. I wanted to have my short play of Scooby vs The Snake done by now, but it isn’t. Maybe I can work on it over the weekend.

I think if I had it to do all over again, I would have played high school football. I’m not sure how good I would have been (or even what position I would have played), but I think it would have been fun.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Our athlete you should know this week comes from Sumter, South Carolina. Tim Jones was a star shortstop at The Citadel. He was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in 1985. Like me, Tim was a right-hander who batted left-handed. Some highlights from his college career include being: - A third-team All-American selection in 1985 … an All-Atlantic Region pick in 1985 … voted All-Southern Conference in 1984 and 1985 … had a career batting average of .352, fourth highest in school history … batted .429 in 1985, second best in school history … held the school record for stolen bases in a season with 46 … drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the second round of the 1985 draft… he played for St. Louis from 1988 – 1993… his career stats include hitting .233 with 1 home run and 28 RBIs… his best year in the major leagues was 1989 when he batted .293 in 43 games for the Cardinals including .414 following the All-Star break.

He was inducted into The Citadel Hall of Fame in 1996. Congrats to Tim Jones for being this week’s South Carolina Athlete You Should Know.

Thanks to The Citadel website for the info.

2 comments:

  1. Where is Tim now? I remember he even pitched an inning when he was with the Cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what he's up to these days. If I find out, I'll pass it along. I remember I had his rookie card as a kid (I might still have it)... I thought it was so cool that a guy from The Citadel was in the majors.

      Delete