Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hootie Recap

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Robert Murray Hanson (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 1, 1943, at Bougainville Island. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life and above and beyond the call of duty as fighter pilot attached to Marine Fighting Squadron 215 in action against enemy Japanese forces at Bougainville Island, 1 November 1943; and New Britain Island, 24 January 1944. Undeterred by fierce opposition, and fearless in the face of overwhelming odds, 1st Lt. Hanson fought the Japanese boldly and with daring aggressiveness. On 1 November, while flying cover for our landing operations at Empress Augusta Bay, he dauntlessly attacked 6 enemy torpedo bombers, forcing them to jettison their bombs and destroying 1 Japanese plane during the action. Cut off from his division while deep in enemy territory during a high cover flight over Simpson Harbor on 24 January, 1st Lt. Hanson waged a lone and gallant battle against hostile interceptors as they were orbiting to attack our bombers and, striking with devastating fury, brought down 4 Zeroes and probably a fifth. Handling his plane superbly in both pursuit and attack measures, he was a master of individual air combat, accounting for a total of 25 Japanese aircraft in this theater of war. His great personal valor and invincible fighting spirit were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Lieutenant Colonel Douglas Hapeman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 20, 1864, at Peach Tree Creek, Georgia. His citation reads:

With conspicuous coolness and bravery rallied his men under a severe attack, re-formed the broken ranks, and repulsed the attack.

Private John H. Harbourne (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 17, 1864, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag along with 3 enemy men.


I am happy to report that Mary Ruth had a great first day of First Grade! I am also happy to report that Susie and Daniel still like their school.

Don’t forget!!! To join my team, visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

If you join my team, please ask other people to donate. If you would “just” like to give, go to:

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres

I understand that some of you out there might be reading this in your room thinking, “Oh man… I really want to give, but my purse is downstairs!” Well take two minutes out of your life and go downstairs to get your purse so you can donate. Consider this a warning… soon names will be used. :)

So Augusta National is going to have two female members… well, guess I won’t be joining that club. Haha… just kidding. Anyway, I don’t have time to talk about this now. Maybe tomorrow.

Now, about the Hootie and the Blowfish concert… As usual, it was GREAT! I’ll be honest, I don’t remember every detail but what I do remember is great. The only real downside to the concert this year is that Danny (yes, that Danny), our favorite nurse Jen and my friends Ross and Ginny weren’t able to attend this year. That is now strike one for all of them, but I won’t get into that right now. In a way, them not being there allowed us to party a little extra this year because we knew they’d be able to bail us out. It didn’t rain this year, so that was a step up from last year. The band played their hits, some solo songs by 3 out of the 4 guys, and then a bunch of cover songs. I’ve included some videos in the Picture section for any of you who couldn’t make it (or couldn’t stay awake for it).

I can’t say too much more about the night due to legal reasons, but I will share this story.  As we were leaving the concert, I noticed a friend of mine (let’s call him ____, because I can’t think of a funny fake name) having some trouble walking back to the car. So, I did what any friend (except his wife and his 9 other “friends” with us) would do… I helped him to the car. Of course, by “helped him to the car”, I mean we walked about a mile to the car with him leaning on me while bobbing and weaving like he was Muhammad Ali. It wasn’t a problem for most of the way because we were walking on a sidewalk. Then the sidewalk ran out and we had to walk on some uneven ground. It was at this time when I noticed that our group was no longer with us (really guys? You couldn’t keep up with us? Really!?). So there we were when I noticed that thing that everyone likes to see after a night of drinking… flashing blue lights. Ok, I’m thinking, the cop is going to go after some drunk driver (note: We had two Designated Drivers for the event… and me and _____ weren’t one of them). Anywho, we keep walking and I notice that second thing that everyone loves to see after a night of drinking… the blue lights aren’t passing us. So… I did the only thing I could think of and said, “____, I think this cop is eyeballing us”. ____ just kept looking forward and said one word (it starts with “p” and ends with “ig”). That ____, even when he’s out on his feet he’s still a funny guy. My immediate thought at this point was something along the lines of: If this cop has his window down and ____ said that louder than I thought, I might have to push him down this hill and then take off running… and I hate running. Lucky for us, the blue lights eventually went by us and we were able to walk the rest of the way with our friends (who, as luck would have it, were able to catch up with us right after the police car passed us. Again… really guys? Really?!).

I am happy to report that 3 out of the 4 of us who had to usher in church at 8:45 the next morning were able to be there and do our jobs with the upmost professionalism. I won’t say which one of us didn’t make it, but I will give you two clues: #1 - He’s married to the 2011 I’m just sayin… Fan of the Year Ashley. #2 – He’s not ____ from my previous story.

Enjoy this extra-long Picture Tuesday.


Picture Tuesday



First day of 1st grade!


My old high school (James Island High School)

Seaside Lane... Runs by the school... not a street you want to breakdown on.


Susie - first day at her new daycare

Daniel - first day at his new daycare

School supplies donated by my department (I couldn't fit all of the supplies in one pic)... Pretty cool

Some pics from the Hootie concert




Me with (from left to right) the 2011 I'm just sayin... Fan of the Year Ashley, The Wife, and my buddy Adrian

Another view from James Island


When I was in elementary school, this was a big field with big oak trees around it.  We'd play out here during recess and on field day.  Now... the new school is back there and this is one of the few trees left.

My old Middle School (Fort Johnson Middle School) - This used to be the building for James Island High School (and the building JIHS is in now was Fort Johnson High School)


The new Stiles Point building.


The JIHS baseball field


The JIHS gym


The view from second base



Where I hit my one and only HR (around the middle of this fence).  I still have a feeling the ball hit the RF and bounced over the wall.  It was a grand slam against North Charleston (during the American Legion season).

I sometimes think this will be the view from the pearly gates...

I know it's not easy to see, but I wanted to point out to my Summerville friends that you don't HAVE to have a fence 6 inches past the end of the endzone.  I'm just sayin...



We're the Three Two Best Friends
That Anyone Could Have
We're the Three Two Best Friends
That Anyone Could Have

We're the Three Two Best Friends
That Anyone Could Have
And We'll Never ever ever ever
Leave Eachother


No comments:

Post a Comment