Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, August 10, 2012

Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Coxswain William Halstead (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the USS Brooklyn. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Brooklyn during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee, in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite severe damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks from stem to stern, Halstead fought his gun with skill and courage throughout the furious battle which resulted in the surrender of the prize rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

Pharmacist’s Mate Second Class William David Halyburton, Jr. (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 10, 1945, on Okinawa Shima. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with a Marine Rifle Company in the 2d Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Chain, 10 May 1945. Undaunted by the deadly accuracy of Japanese counterfire as his unit pushed the attack through a strategically important draw, Halyburton unhesitatingly dashed across the draw and up the hill into an open fire-swept field where the company advance squad was suddenly pinned down under a terrific concentration of mortar, machinegun and sniper fire with resultant severe casualties. Moving steadily forward despite the enemy's merciless barrage, he reached the wounded marine who lay farthest away and was rendering first aid when his patient was struck for the second time by a Japanese bullet. Instantly placing himself in the direct line of fire, he shielded the fallen fighter with his own body and staunchly continued his ministrations although constantly menaced by the slashing fury of shrapnel and bullets falling on all sides. Alert, determined and completely unselfish in his concern for the helpless marine, he persevered in his efforts until he himself sustained mortal wounds and collapsed, heroically sacrificing himself that his comrade might live. By his outstanding valor and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of tremendous odds, Halyburton sustained and enhanced the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

Carpenter’s Mate Mark G. Ham (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 19, 1864, on board the USS Kearsarge. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Performing his duties intelligently and faithfully, Ham distinguished himself in the face of the bitter enemy fire and was highly commended by his divisional officer.


Don’t forget!!! To join my team, visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

If you join my team, please ask other people to donate. If you would “just” like to give, go to:

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

I planned to talk about Coach Hatley in this section today, but I already told you a lot about him earlier in the week. So I’m going to call an audible and tell you about someone who should be on the Hall of Fame ballot next year. No, I’m not talking about me… I’m talking Coach Tony Cadden (originally from the Ravenel/Hollywood area). I’m not just saying this because I played American Legion baseball for him for one season (it would have been two seasons, but he cut me the first year I tried out), I’m saying it because he’s got the resume for the HOF. Here’s a little something about Coach Cadden… Forgive me, but there’s not a Wikipedia page on Coach Cadden, so this is based on memory… but I feel good about this info:


He won 3 state championships in high school (Country Day, I believe) 10th 11th and 12th grade. After high school, he played second base at North Greeville college. After college, he started his coaching career as a coach at the YMCA on James island. He then was picked to coach in a local summer college league for two years (I think). An interesting note, he coached Sonny in this summer league. In his first season coaching in that league (before Sonny was playing), Coach Cadden was named the coach of the SC College All Stars. He coached the team all the way to Cincinnati, Ohio for the college summer World Series. After his time coaching in the college league, Coach Cadden was named the head coach of the Post 147 baseball team… a position he held for 20 years raising over 100 thousand dollars during that period to fund the program (NEVER, I might add, charging players a “Tryout Fee”). As coach of Post 147, Tony was able to lead the program to several league titles and state runner up a couple of times. During this time he coached many players who would go on to have successful college and minor league careers (I don’t have the exact number of players right now, but it was a lot). He was an associate scout for the Texas Rangers for 8 years and is currently an associate scout for the New York Mets. He is also an assistant coach for Porter Gaud for the last 7 years.


I think it’s time for someone like Coach Cadden to receive some recognition for what he has done in the baseball world (in this area). My goal is to get him on the HOF ballot (easier said than done since I’m not sure who is on the committee)… but I’m going to give it my best shot. Until then, congrats to Tony Cadden for being named the SC Athlete You Should Know.

No comments:

Post a Comment