Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, September 21, 2012

Don’t forget!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant James Henry (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Private Robert T. Henry (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 3, 1944, at Luchem, Germany. His citation reads:

Near Luchem, Germany, he volunteered to attempt the destruction of a nest of 5 enemy machineguns located in a bunker 150 yards to the flank which had stopped the advance of his platoon. Stripping off his pack, overshoes, helmet, and overcoat, he sprinted alone with his rifle and hand grenades across the open terrain toward the enemy emplacement. Before he had gone half the distance he was hit by a burst of machinegun fire. Dropping his rifle, he continued to stagger forward until he fell mortally wounded only 10 yards from the enemy emplacement. His single-handed attack forced the enemy to leave the machineguns. During this break in hostile fire the platoon moved forward and overran the position. Pvt. Henry, by his gallantry and intrepidity and utter disregard for his own life, enabled his company to reach its objective, capturing this key defense and 70 German prisoners.

Colonel William W. Henry (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 19, 1864, at Cedar Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Though suffering from severe wounds, rejoined his regiment and let it in a brilliant charge, recapturing the guns of an abandoned battery.


Big thanks to my good friend Danny (yes, that Danny) for his donation to my Walk to End Alzheimer’s. He and our Favorite Nurse Jen have always supported me in the past when it comes to this Walk and I am happy they decided to help again. As you know, we don’t believe in threating or pressuring our friends into giving to this great cause.

Things aren’t looking good right now for an "I’m just sayin… Fan of the Year" repeat. Looks like the "2012 I’m just sayin… Fan of the Year" race is wide open.

I’ve posted this before and I’ll post it again. Why? Because, like my 9/11 post, I realize that sometimes I say it right the first time… so why change it?
*************************
Memories, good and bad, are great. They make us who we are. I think it's funny sometimes the things we remember. I remember it poured down rain the day I got married. I remember The Wife and I spent 90% of the next day flying... and in bed... sleeping, because we spent the night before (after the reception) driving from Charleston to Atlanta and then had to get up at 4am to go to the airport for flight #1.

I can’t remember what The Wife’s favorite color is to save my life... but without much thought I can tell you that in 1987 with Georgia beating Clemson 20-16, the Clemson defense was able to come up with a huge safety. Clemson was then able to drive the ball down the field and with time running out (Clemson was out of timeouts) David Treadwell went out and kicked the game winning FG.

I can’t tell you what songs were played at our wedding, but I can hear with perfect clarity the chants of “Rodney! Rodney! Rodney!” that came from a packed Death Valley as Clemson QB Rodney Williams was pulled from the game after leading Clemson to a victory against USC in his final home game.

There are classes that I took in high school and college that I have no memory of, but I can tell you where I was when I saw the Winthrop Eagles beat Notre Dame in the first round of the 2007 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.

I can’t remember what my boss told me to do an hour after she says it... but I remember everything Coach Hatley told me to do when I played baseball for him in high school.

I could go on and on and on... but you get the point. Memories are great. Sure, every now and then there might be a bad one... but good memories can get you through hard times. So how much would life suck if we didn’t have memories? How sad would that be? What if you were a Clemson fan and didn’t have the happy memories of 63-17 or of 1981? What if you were a USC fan and didn’t have the happy memories of... well, you get my point.

Think how hard it would be if you had to take care of someone who had lost their memories. Some days maybe they know you, most days they don’t. They forget how to do simple things that we take for granted. Forget about enjoying the happy memory of David Treadwell kicking a game winning FG at Georgia in 1986, they don’t even remember how to use the bathroom. It’s sad. I saw it a lot at my old office. Think of all the history and happy times lost because of Alzheimer’s. Think of all the stress put on friends and family members of people who have Alzheimer’s. The Alzheimer’s Association does a lot of good work for patients with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers.

*******************
They are having their Memory Walk this Saturday (tomorrow). In the past, I raised money with my office for this event (and for the past 4 years, I raised the most money at our office). Since I got a new job in December, I decided to break off and start my own team. Right now I am crushing my old office. Like Spurrier in his University of Florida days… I want to run up the score (to be fair, my old office doesn’t even know we are competing). Anyway, the money is for a great cause. Go here to give. Don’t forget.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Today we are going to look at James Island’s very own Roddy White. Born November 2, 1981, White was a four-sport letterman and standout in football, baseball, soccer and wrestling while at JI. In football, he was a two-time All-Low Country honoree, a two-time All-State honoree, and was also listed as one of the top receivers in the nation on Rivals.com. In wrestling, he was a two-time state champion. Roddy attended the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), where he was a standout wide receiver. In 2004, White helped UAB to its first and to date, only bowl game. In the 2004 Hawaii Bowl, White caught six passes for 113 yards and a touchdown in a 59-40 defeat of the Blazers by Hawaii.

White was selected by the Atlanta Falcons with the 27th pick overall in the 2005 NFL Draft. White saw instantaneous action in his rookie campaign. He ranked fourth among all rookie receivers in 2005. Although a high ankle sprain caused him to remain on the sidelines for much of the preseason, he recovered by Week 2 of the 2005 season and was put on the team's roster.

Roddy White became the first Falcon WR since 1999 to reach 1,000 single season receiving yards on December 23, 2007. He also finished tied for 8th among all NFL wide receivers in receiving yards in 2007 with 1,202 yards. He had 6 receiving touchdowns. His 2008 performance was even better than the previous year, finishing 4th in the NFL in receiving yards (3rd in the NFC). He finished the year with 1,382 receiving yards (career high and team record), 88 receptions (career high), and 7 touchdowns (career high). He broke Alfred Jenkins team record of 1,358 receiving yards, which stood since 1981.

On December 16, 2008, White was named to the 2009 Pro Bowl along with fellow Falcons RB Michael Turner. He had 1 catch for 26 yards and 1 rush for 7 yards in the 2009 Pro Bowl.

On October 11, 2009 White became the all-time receiving leader in yards in one game in Franchise history in a game against the 49ers. In this game White had 8 receptions for 210 yards, a career-high with a 90 yard touchdown catch and 2 touchdowns. He finished the 2009 season with 85 receptions 1,153 yards and a career high 11 touchdowns. He became only the second Falcon player to record three straight 1,000 yard seasons. On January 26, 2010, White was selected to his 2nd Consecutive Pro Bowl where he led the 2010 Pro Bowl in catches with 8 for 84 yards. In 2011 Roddy White broke the Falcons all time receiving yards record. Here are some of the Falcons franchise records White holds:

Most receiving yards in a single season (1,389 in 2010)

Most receiving yards in a half (185) and Receiving yards in a game (210)

Most career receiving yards (7,374)

Most receptions in a playoff game (11)

Most seasons with 1,000+ receiving yards (5)

As always, thanks to Wikipedia for the info!

No comments:

Post a Comment