Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, September 4, 2012

RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Raymond Harvey (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 9, 1951, in the vicinity of Taemi-Dong, Korea. His citation reads:

Capt. Harvey Company C, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action. When his company was pinned down by a barrage of automatic weapons fire from numerous well-entrenched emplacements, imperiling accomplishment of its mission, Capt. Harvey braved a hail of fire and exploding grenades to advance to the first enemy machine gun nest, killing its crew with grenades. Rushing to the edge of the next emplacement, he killed its crew with carbine fire. He then moved the 1st Platoon forward until it was again halted by a curtain of automatic fire from well fortified hostile positions. Disregarding the hail of fire, he personally charged and neutralized a third emplacement. Miraculously escaping death from intense crossfire, Capt. Harvey continued to lead the assault. Spotting an enemy pillbox well camouflaged by logs, he moved close enough to sweep the emplacement with carbine fire and throw grenades through the openings, annihilating its 5 occupants. Though wounded he then turned to order the company forward, and, suffering agonizing pain, he continued to direct the reduction of the remaining hostile positions, refusing evacuation until assured that the mission would be accomplished. Capt. Harvey's valorous and intrepid actions served as an inspiration to his company, reflecting the utmost glory upon himself and upholding the heroic traditions of the military service.

Private Mikio Hasemoto (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 29, 1943, in the vicinity of Cerasuolo, Italy. His citation reads:

Private Mikio Hasemoto distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action on 29 November 1943, in the vicinity of Cerasuolo, Italy. A force of approximately 40 enemy soldiers, armed with machine guns, machine pistols, rifles, and grenades, attacked the left flank of his platoon. Two enemy soldiers with machine guns advanced forward, firing their weapons. Private Hasemoto, an automatic rifleman, challenged these two machine gunners. After firing four magazines at the approaching enemy, his weapon was shot and damaged. Unhesitatingly, he ran 10 yards to the rear, secured another automatic rifle and continued to fire until his weapon jammed. At this point, Private Hasemoto and his squad leader had killed approximately 20 enemy soldiers. Again, Private Hasemoto ran through a barrage of enemy machine gun fire to pick up an M-1 rifle. Continuing their fire, Private Hasemoto and his squad leader killed 10 more enemy soldiers. With only three enemy soldiers left, he and his squad leader charged courageously forward, killing one, wounding one, and capturing another. The following day, Private Hasemoto continued to repel enemy attacks until he was killed by enemy fire. Private Hasemoto's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the United States Army.

Sergeant Frank W. Haskell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 1, 1862, at Fair Oaks, Virginia. His citation reads:

Assumed command of a portion of the left wing of his regiment, all the company officers present having been killed or disabled, led it gallantly across a stream and contributed most effectively to the success of the action.

RIP to Michael Clarke Duncan… I really enjoyed his acting.

I wanted to tell you about my weekend today, but I just don’t have time. I’ll try to get something up tomorrow. I can tell you it was a great weekend. I can’t wait for Labor Day Weekend 2013!

For now… enjoy a few pics from the weekend. Included are a pic of something Maverick killed in our backyard last Thursday around 4:00am and a pic of Scooby under a chair being bad. I think the rest are from the weekend.

By the way… Congrats to Clemson and USC for starting the season 1-0. Don’t forget to check back tomorrow to hear about my weekend (including a re-cap of the golf).


Picture Tuesday


Don't mess with Maverick...

Scooby sleeping under the chair... with one of the kids toys in his mouth.
 
 
The site of Labor Day 2012
 
 
Susie going up to the top of the 2 story slide...


And down she comes... She loved that slide.

Daniel and Susie hanging out with their cousin Meredith.

Susie and Daniel "taking a nap" on the floor with their cousin Ansley.

Daniel waiting for someone to get him some breakfast

This area was put to good use Sunday as we tried to put together a history of our Labor Day Family... FYI, in 1989 we went to Ocracoke Island.

The cabana has been painted... and now has a TV (not pictured) and is real close to having a working restroom.

Susie eating breakfast with her cousin Leah

Can't go wrong with a pile of Cheerios for breakfast

The Media Room

The view I had watching the Clemson game Saturday night

Susie with her BFF Ansley

Me with my big boy

One last sit-down before everyone had to leave

Susie did this on her own... she wanted something to wear in the pool to keep her hair out of her face.  Who needs a swim cap when you can just wear the bottoms from your other bathing suit?

Some worn out children on the ride home after a weekend filled playing with their Labor Day Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment