Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thankful

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Brigadier General John P. Hatch (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 14, 1862, at South Mountain, Maryland. His citation reads:

Was severely wounded while leading one of his brigades in the attack under a heavy fire from the enemy.

Seaman Edward W. Hathaway (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 28, 1862, on board the USS Sciota. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Sciota prior to the battle Vicksburg, on 28 June 1862. Struck by a bullet which severed his left arm above the elbow, Hathaway displayed exceptional courage as his ship sustained numerous damaging hits from stem to stern while proceeding down the river to fight the battle of Vicksburg.

Sergeant M. Waldo Hatler (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 8, 1918, near Pouilly, France. His citation reads:

When volunteers were called for to secure information as to the enemy's position on the opposite bank of the Meuse River, Sgt. Hatler was the first to offer his services for this dangerous mission. Swimming across the river, he succeeded in reaching the German lines, after another soldier, who had started with him, had been seized with cramps and drowned in midstream. Alone he carefully and courageously reconnoitered the enemy's positions, which were held in force, and again successfully swam the river, bringing back information of great value.


Don’t wait! Join the Walk to End Alzheimer’s today! Just visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

Or, if you “just” want to give, you can click on the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres


Thankful Thursday

With Labor Day still fresh on my mind, I am thankful for the lake house. For a long time after our families had grown, we had to stay in different hotel suites or condos close to each other. There is a difference between staying close to each other and having everyone being under the same roof. The lake house, of course, has a ton of bells and whistles (TVs everywhere, bathrooms almost everywhere, a pool, the lake, a fire pit, game room, media room…) but the greatest feature in my mind it the fact that it’s big enough for all of us to stay together. The weekend is just better, in my opinion, when we can all be together. I don’t wait around all year just to see these people a couple of times over the weekend… I want to see them as much as I can.

So I’m thankful that my parents (and cousins) have a lake house big enough to hold all of us. And I’m also thankful that they are willing to let us use the house for our Labor Day Weekend Reunions. Most of all, I’m very thankful I’ve got a Labor Day family to stay at the lake house with.

No comments:

Post a Comment