Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, October 5, 2012

TGIF!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Major William B. Hincks (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 3, 1863, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His citation reads:

During the highwater mark of Pickett's charge on 3 July 1863 the colors of the 14th Tenn. Inf. C.S.A. were planted 50 yards in front of the center of Sgt. Maj. Hincks' regiment. There were no Confederates standing near it but several were Iying down around it. Upon a call for volunteers by Maj. Ellis, commanding, to capture this flag, this soldier and 2 others leaped the wall. One companion was instantly shot. Sgt. Maj. Hincks outran his remaining companion running straight and swift for the colors amid a storm of shot. Swinging his saber over the prostrate Confederates and uttering a terrific yell, he seized the flag and hastily returned to his lines. The 14th Tenn. carried 12 battle honors on its flag. The devotion to duty shown by Sgt. Maj. Hincks gave encouragement to many of his comrades at a crucial moment of the battle.

Sergeant Lehmann Hinemann (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during the Winter of 1872 - 1873. His citation reads:

Gallant conduct during campaigns and engagements with Apaches.

Second Class Fireman William Hinnegan (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 23, 1864, on board the USS Agawam. His citation reads:

Hinnegan served on board the U.S.S. Agawam, as one of a volunteer crew of powder boat which was exploded near Fort Fisher, 23 December 1864. The powder boat, towed in by the Wilderness to prevent detection by the enemy, cast off and slowly steamed to within 300 yards of the beach. After fuses and fires had been lit and a second anchor with short scope let go to assure the boat's tailing inshore, the crew again boarded the Wilderness and proceeded a distance of 12 miles from shore. Less than 2 hours later the explosion took place, and the following day fires were observed still burning at the forts.


Did you see the ESPN 30 for 30 show the other night talking about pro athletes going bankrupt after they retire? Two of the stats (which they got from an SI article in 2009, I believe) that they showed at the start of the program were:

By the time they’ve been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress. I’m not sure how you define financial stress (it seems to be a relative term to me), but still… 78%! Even our UGA friends know that’s a good bit over half of the NFL players. Within five year of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke. I know it’s easy for most of us to sit and say, “How could they be bankrupt after making so much money?!” I’ve said that myself… but then I thought about it. Every now and then The Wife and I will sit and dream about what we’d do if we won a $100 million lottery. By the end of our day dream, The Wife has spent about $350 million of our $100 million winnings. So I could see the problems those pro athletes run into.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

The athlete we are going to look at today is the late, great Chester McGlockton. Chester was born September 16, 1969. He was a High School All-American as a Tight End/Defensive Lineman at Whiteville High School in Whiteville, North Carolina. He played Varsity Football all four years. During his senior year he led the Whiteville Wolfpack to a 15-0 record, a State Championship, and a USA Today National Ranking. 

After high school, Chester played college football at Clemson University under Danny Ford and Ken Hatfield. I know these days, when people hear Clemson vs. West Virginia they think about the beat down WV gave Clemson in the Orange Bowl. But when I hear it, I can’t help but think about the 1989 Gator Bowl. It was during that game that McGlockton scored a TD when he recovered a fumble in the end zone. Chester tied for the regular season ACC lead in sacks as a freshman… as a back-up! 

McGlockton was drafted by the Los Angeles Raiders in the 1st round (16th overall) of the 1992 NFL Draft. He played six seasons with the Raiders, earning all four of his Pro Bowl appearances with them. He also played for the Kansas City Chiefs, the Denver Broncos, and ended his career by playing one season with the New York Jets. McGlockton finished his NFL career with 51 sacks including a career season high of 9.5 in 1994. After his NFL career, Chester got into coaching. He died of an enlarged heart on November 30, 2011. 

He was 42 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment