Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, November 12, 2012

Weigh-In

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Assistant Surgeon Bernard J. D. Irwin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 13-14, 1861, at Apache Pass, Arizona. His citation reads:

Voluntarily took command of troops and attacked and defeated hostile Indians he met on the way. Surgeon Irwin volunteered to go to the rescue of 2d Lt. George N. Bascom, 7th Infantry, who with 60 men was trapped by Chiricahua Apaches under Cochise. Irwin and 14 men, not having horses began the 100-mile march riding mules. After fighting and capturing Indians, recovering stolen horses and cattle, he reached Bascom's column and help break his siege.

Seaman Nicholas Irwin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the USS Brooklyn. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Brooklyn during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee, in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite severe damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks from stem to stern, Irwin fought his gun with skill and courage throughout the furious battle which resulted in the surrender of the prize rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

First Sergeant Patrick Irwin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 1, 1864, at Jonesboro, Georgia. His citation reads:

In a charge by the 14th Michigan Infantry against the entrenched enemy was the first man over the line of works of the enemy, and demanded and received the surrender of Confederate Gen. Daviel Govan and his command.


I had a great time in Rock Hill this past Saturday for the start of the Winthrop Men’s Basketball season. The Eagles got the win and I got to see some old friends. It was a win-win for everyone.

Congrats to the Winthrop Men’s Soccer team for winning the Big South Championship with their 3-2 win over Coastal Carolina yesterday.

Congrats also to Texas A&M for their win over Al-a-bama. I’m sure the “experts” will come up with all kinds of excuses for their golden child (Ala-freaking-bama) losing the game, but the fact is Texas A&M was just better. I know it won’t happen, but man it would be great if this would keep all of the “experts” from saying “Team X could never beat Team Y and I know this because I’ve watched both teams play this season and I can just tell that Team X isn’t good enough to win”. Really, just shut up with all of the “stating an opinion as a fact” BS. It gets old.

Finally, congrats to USC and Clemson for their wins over Arkansas and Maryland. If both teams can win next Saturday (which may or may not happen), then their match-up in a couple of weeks could be viewed as a big game around the nation. Not that it would make it any bigger of a game in this great state… but it’d still be nice.


The I’m just sayin… Weekly Weigh-In

Greg 236

Mary Ruth 47

Susie 28

Daniel 25

No comments:

Post a Comment