Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Michael Kearney (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898, on board the USS Nashville. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Nashville during the operation of cutting the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Kearney set an example of extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

Staff Sergeant George D. Keathley (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 14, 1944, at Mt. Altuzzo, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty, in action on the western ridge of Mount Altuzzo, Italy. After bitter fighting his company had advanced to within 50 yards of the objective, where it was held up due to intense enemy sniper, automatic, small arms, and mortar fire. The enemy launched 3 desperate counterattacks in an effort to regain their former positions, but all 3 were repulsed with heavy casualties on both sides. All officers and noncommissioned officers of the 2d and 3d platoons of Company B had become casualties, and S/Sgt. Keathley, guide of the 1st platoon, moved up and assumed command of both the 2d and 3d platoons, reduced to 20 men. The remnants of the 2 platoons were dangerously low on ammunition, so S/Sgt. Keathley, under deadly small arms and mortar fire, crawled from 1 casualty to another, collecting their ammunition and administering first aid. He then visited each man of his 2 platoons, issuing the precious ammunition he had collected from the dead and wounded, and giving them words of encouragement. The enemy now delivered their fourth counterattack, which was approximately 2 companies in strength. In a furious charge they attacked from the front and both flanks, throwing hand grenades, firing automatic weapons, and assisted by a terrific mortar barrage. So strong was the enemy counterattack that the company was given up for lost. The remnants of the 2d and 3d platoons of Company B were now looking to S/Sgt. Keathley for leadership. He shouted his orders precisely and with determination and the men responded with all that was in them. Time after time the enemy tried to drive a wedge into S/Sgt. Keathley's position and each time they were driven back, suffering huge casualties. Suddenly an enemy hand grenade hit and exploded near S/Sgt. Keathley, inflicting a mortal wound in his left side. However, hurling defiance at the enemy, he rose to his feet. Taking his left hand away from his wound and using it to steady his rifle, he fired and killed an attacking enemy soldier, and continued shouting orders to his men. His heroic and intrepid action so inspired his men that they fought with incomparable determination and viciousness. For 15 minutes S/Sgt. Keathley continued leading his men and effectively firing his rifle. He could have sought a sheltered spot and perhaps saved his life, but instead he elected to set an example for his men and make every possible effort to hold his position. Finally, friendly artillery fire helped to force the enemy to withdraw, leaving behind many of their number either dead or seriously wounded. S/Sgt. Keathley died a few moments later. Had it not been for his indomitable courage and incomparable heroism, the remnants of 3 rifle platoons of Company B might well have been annihilated by the overwhelming enemy attacking force. His actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service.

Corporal Daniel Keating (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 5, 1870, at Wichita River, Texas. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action and in pursuit of Indians.


If you missed it, Winthrop men's basketball Head Coach Pat Kelsey was in the news a good bit yesterday for what he said after the Eagles game vs Ohio State Tuesday night (a 10 point loss for my Eagles).  Here's a link to a video/article on ESPN about it.  Honestly, I don't think I could have said it any better myself.


Thankful Thursday

Today I have a lot to be thankful for. First things first, I am thankful for Brent and Teresa Lynn’s 18th wedding anniversary. I already talked to you last week about how lucky I am that Teresa Lynn married Brent and not some loser, so I won’t go into that again. Their 18 years of marriage have given me three wonderful nieces, Leah, Ansley and Meredith.

I am also thankful for Dad. I don’t want to say too much right now (he may or may not have a birthday post coming up), but just know that I couldn’t pick a better dad. Sonny couldn’t pick a better dad either. He probably wouldn’t say it because he’s not really a “words” kind of guy… he’s more a numbers guy (as long as they’re small numbers). Teresa Lynn would probably say it, but she’s so good with words that it would most likely take her forever to say it and Dad would have trouble staying focused long enough to really get the gist of what she was saying. By the way, Teresa Lynn… not good at all with numbers, but that’s neither here nor there. Anyway, I’m thankful that I have the dad that I have. He acts like Sonny is perfect, but any fool can see that’s just his way of trying to keep everyone from knowing that I’m his favorite. I think we all agree that Teresa Lynn is in his Top 3. Anyway, Dad is a great dad… and for that, I am thankful.

1 comment: