Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, January 11, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLARK!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boatswain’s Mate First Class Reinhardt John Keppler (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 12-13, 1942, on board the USS San Francisco. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism and distinguished courage above and beyond the call of duty while serving aboard the U.S.S. San Francisco during action against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands, 1213 November 1942. When a hostile torpedo plane, during a daylight air raid, crashed on the after machine-gun platform, Keppler promptly assisted in removal of the dead and, by his capable supervision of the wounded, undoubtedly helped save the lives of several shipmates who otherwise might have perished. That night, when the ship's hangar was set afire during the great battle off Savo Island, he bravely led a hose into the starboard side of the stricken area and there, without assistance and despite frequent hits from terrific enemy bombardment, eventually brought the fire under control. Later, although mortally wounded, he labored valiantly in the midst of bursting shells, persistently directing fire-fighting operations and administering to wounded personnel until he finally collapsed from loss of blood. His great personal valor, maintained with utter disregard of personal safety, was in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Captain John B. Kerr (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 1, 1891, at White River, South Dakota. His citation reads:

For distinguished bravery while in command of his troop in action against hostile Sioux Indians on the north bank of the White River, near the mouth of Little Grass Creek, S. Dak., where he defeated a force of 300 Brule Sioux warriors, and turned the Sioux tribe, which was endeavoring to enter the Bad Lands, back into the Pine Ridge Agency.

Captain Thomas R. Kerr (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 7, 1864, at Moorfield, West Virginia. His citation reads:

After being most desperately wounded, he captured the colors of the 8th Virginia Cavalry (C.S.A.).


We’d like to take a minute to wish my friend Clark a very happy birthday! We hope Jenn and the boys make it a good one.

As many of you know, The Wife and Daniel went on a little vacation to downtown Charleston this week. When last we talked, I told you how my friend Jen had made a well-respected doctor break out in a cold sweat and shake uncontrollably just by being in the room with us when he walked in. I also told you about how greatly disappointed Susie was that I picked her up instead of “her” mommy. Since then…

Things were not great for The Wife during her first night at the 7A Bed and Breakfast. An intern came in at midnight asking questions about Daniel and wanting to examine him (she told him no… so he just asked a couple of questions and left). She then fell back asleep just in time to have a resident come in for a chat at 2:00am. This is where me and The Wife differ. At this point, I would have pulled out my phone and pointed to Jen’s name and let her know she has 10 seconds to leave before I push this button and make her wish she could go back in time and never become a doctor. The Wife just acted rude to her until she left. Well, I got to the room the next morning before I went into the office and The Wife was none too happy about her 2am visitor. She went to take a shower and while she was in there Jen showed up with a look that I usually only see when she’s mad at me and Danny (yes, that Danny) for talking to each other during the Sunday School lesson. She told me that one of her people had already contacted her about what had happened and that she was going to “take care of it”. Not long after, I walked by Jen’s office on my way to my office and I saw her video conferencing with the resident over her computer. I can’t be 100% sure, but it looked like she was using the Force to choke the poor woman then I could have sworn I heard her say, “Apology accepted, Doctor”. (If you don’t “get” this joke, go watch The Empire Strikes Back and then come back and re-read it). Anywho, I’m sure Jen didn’t actually kill the woman, but The Wife did point out that she never saw her again (though I do think I saw her standing on the side of the road wearing one of those sandwich signs that said: I WON’T WAKE UP PATIENTS AT 2AM FOR NO GOOD REASON [it was a big sign]).

I went back to the room after getting some things done in my office and found The Wife somewhat frustrated by the fact that the doctors who had looked at Daniel didn’t seem to know what was wrong and it didn’t look like they were going to find out any time soon. It was at this point that I believe I overheard Jen yelling out in the hallway at a group of doctors saying something like, “I don’t care WHAT your plans are for tonight, NOBODY leaves until you figure out what is wrong with Daniel and start fixing it! Do I make myself clear?!” I’m pretty sure I saw a grown-ass man start to cry while one of the young lady doctors wet herself. All of them seemed to cower and shake a little as if the temperature in the hall had fallen as Jen’s anger had risen. It was incredible to see. I also feel I must point out that they started treating Daniel around 7:30 that night. I’m just sayin…

I’m not the only one with friends in the medical field… When The Wife found out Daniel was going to be admitted, she called the wife of one of the doctors and ask that he stop by (as if the Children’s Hospital had a menu of doctors for you to pick from). Anyway, this doctor did stop by for a social chat because he was nice (and because his wife had called him about 4 or 5 times that morning). As he was leaving he said it would be funny if The Wife sent a text to his wife saying he’d come by but was real rude and not helpful at all and then wait a few minutes and send a text saying haha. She did the first part but forgot to do the second part until the poor guy called her about 45 minutes later saying that his wife was none too happy with how he had acted and asking if The Wife could perhaps fix this problem she created. After The Wife got done laughing (so about 10 or 15 minutes later), she sent a text message letting her friend know that she was kidding and that one day we’d all look back on this and laugh and that, at least for us, that day was here.

One last story I’d like to share today (I might have more to share at a later date if I can remember/think of any)… I sent my good friend KC a text asking him to let our church know that Daniel was in the hospital. Within about 20 minutes we had a preacher walking into our room (because when you want something done, you get KC to make the call). As it would happen, this preacher’s pregnant and at the time they weren’t real sure if Daniel had something contagious/bad for a pregnant woman and her unborn baby. So Adriane decided to stand just inside our door (because everyone knows there is about a 2-3 feet “germ free” radius around a door). She was doing fine talking to us and was starting to feel better about being in there (especially after Jen told her she’d be ok), but then a team of doctors came in wearing protective gear with masks covering their faces and Adriane was out the door before we could say goodbye (which means she owes us an outside-of-church prayer). :)

I’m sure I’ll think of some more stories to share with you at a later date. Until then, thanks again for all of your prayers.


Flashback Friday

Sonny with a stuffed dolphin

Mom with some friends at Folly Beach... way back when Folly had a lot of sand

Sonny opening a gift

Me... not 100% sure when (maybe 8th or 9th grade)

The house in Knightsville that Mom and Aunt Yvonne grew up in

Teresa Lynn's oldest (Leah) on the sofa at MaMa's house

Johns Island Presbyterian Church on a snowy day

MaMa and Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment