Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, March 1, 2013

Part II – The Mount Rushmore of … Braves/Blue Jays

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant William Laing (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1864, at Chapins Farm, Virginia. His citation reads:

Was among the first to scale the parapet.

Seaman Daniel Lakin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 3, 1862, on board the USS Commodore Perry. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Commodore Perry in the attack upon Franklin, Va., 3 October 1862. With enemy fire raking the deck of his ship and blockades thwarting her progress, Lakin remained at his post and performed his duties with skill and courage as the Commodore Perry fought a gallant battle to silence many rebel batteries as she steamed down the Blackwater River.

Seaman Thomas Lakin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during November 1874, on board the USS Narragansett. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Narragansett at the Navy Yard, Mare Island, Calif., November 1874, jumping overboard, Lakin displayed gallant conduct by rescuing 2 men of that ship from drowning.


As before, I got stats and all that from Wikipedia. Unlike Sonny, I won’t give you the link… stop being lazy and google it yourself.

The Mount Rushmore of the Atlanta Braves

Hank Aaron – This is a case where being listed first means something. Not only is Henry “Hank” Aaron the greatest to wear a Braves uniform (in my opinion), he’s on the shortlist for greatest to ever play the game. I don’t know if you’d win the argument by saying he’s the greatest player ever, but I do know you wouldn’t get kicked out of the argument by naming him. For my money, Hank is still the Home Run King (with 755). After a few years in the Negro League, Hank played Right field for the Braves (in Milwaukee and later Atlanta) from 1954-1974. He made the All-Star team 25 times (1955-1975… twice each in 1959, 1960, 1961 and 1962), was the NL home run champion 4 times (1957, 1963, 1966, 1967), was the NL MVP in 1957 (the same year the Braves won the World Series) and was 3 time Gold Glove Award winner (1958, 1959, 1960). He also won the NL batting title in 1956 and 1959. His MLB records include 6,856 total bases, 2,297 RBIs, 1,477 extra-base hits and 17 consecutive seasons with 150 or more hits. His #44 was retired by the Braves and he was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982.

While I played baseball for James Island High School, we would listen to a CD with baseball songs on it before the game. I don’t know the name of the CD, but it had the home run call on it from when Hank broke Ruth’s home run record. We listened to that CD so much, that I’m pretty sure I can recite the whole thing from memory. I have no idea who was making the call, but my guess is it came from the radio broadcast. It goes something like this…

Henry Aaron in the second inning walked and scored. He’s sittin’ on 714. Here’s the pitch by Downing. Swinging. There’s a drive into left center field! That ball is gonna beeeeee… Outta here! It’s gone! It’s 715! There’s a new home run champion of all-time and it’s Henry Aaron! The fireworks are going off! Henry Aaron is coming around 3rd base… his teammates are at home plate waiting for him! And listen to this crowd!


Somebody look that up to see how close I got it.

Dale Murphy – Dale Murphy played for the Atlanta Braves from 1976-1990 (mostly as an outfielder). While he is often overlooked due to the power numbers that juiced players (combined with “live balls”) produced after his playing days were over, Murphy was a great player on what were, for the most part, very bad teams. He was selected to the All-Star team 7 times (1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987) and was named NL MVP in 1982 and 1983. He was a Gold Glove Award winner and a Silver Slugger Award winner in 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985 (he also won a Golden Glove in 1986). Dale was a player that could get it done in the field and at the plate. His #3 has been retired by the Braves.

Greg Maddux – Greg Maddux is the greatest pitcher I ever saw. I don’t know if he’s the greatest of all-time… but he’s the greatest I ever saw (and I don’t think he’d get laughed out of the greatest of all-time argument). I saw him do things with a baseball that I honestly didn’t think were possible. He threw a pitch (overhand, not sidearm) one time that broke up! That’s not natural! He knew what he wanted to do with a pitch and then he did it. He played for the Braves from 1993-2003. During that time he was an All-Star six times (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 and 2000) and a World Series champion one time (1995). Maddux was the NL Cy Young Award winner 3 times while with the Braves (1993, 1994, 1995). He also won the Gold Glove award 10 times with the Braves (1993-2002). The Braves retired his #31. While with the Braves, Maddux struck out 1,828 batters while only walking 383 (I got that stat from Baseball-Reference.com). That’s amazing. I believe he also pitched a complete game only throwing 78 pitches (which, if you don’t know, is mind-blowing).

John Smoltz– John Smoltz played for the Braves from 1988-2008 (missing the 2000 season due to injury). While Maddux was the greatest pitcher I ever saw, I think Smoltz might be the greatest post-season pitcher I ever saw. He was an 8 time All-Star (1989, 1992, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007) as well as a NL Cy Young Award winner (1996). He was the NLCS MVP in 1992 and a Silver Slugger Award winner in 1997. While I think of Smoltz as a starting pitcher, he did have a great stint as a closer (setting the NL saves record in 2002 with 55 saves). Smoltz ended his career with over 200 wins (213) and over 150 saves (154). The Braves retired his #29.

While they didn’t make my list, I did give very strong consideration to Warren Spahn, Eddie Mathews, Tom Glavine and Chipper Jones.


The Mount Rushmore of the Toronto Blue Jays

Roberto Alomar – Alomar was one of the best 2nd Basemen of his time. He played for the Blue Jays from 1991 – 1995. During this time he was named to the All-Star team each season, was a Gold Glove Award winner each season and helped lead the Blue Jays to two World Series championships (1992 and 1993). Roberto is the first player in franchise history to have his number (12) retired by the team. He is also the first player to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame wearing a Blue Jays hat. He is, of course, a member of the Toronto Blue Jays Level of Excellence.

Dave Stieb – Stieb played for the Blue Jays from 1979 – 1992 and again in 1998. He was a 7 time All-Star (1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990). Dave pitched a no-hitter for the Blue Jays on September 2, 1990. He is a member of the Toronto Blue Jays Level of Excellence.

Joe Carter – Joe Carter played for the Blue Jays from 1991 – 1997. He was an All-Star for 5 of those years (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996). He won the Silver Slugger Award in 1991 and 1992 and helped the Blue Jays win the World Series in 1992 and 1993. He is also a member of the Blue Jays Level of Excellence.

Carlos Delgado - Delgado played for the Blue Jays from 1993 – 2004. He was an All-Star in 2000 and 2003. He won the Silver Slugger Award in 1999, 2000 and 2003. During his time with the Blue Jays, Delgado set a number of Blue Jays records including home runs (336) and RBIs (1,058). He is a member of the Blue Jays Level of Excellence.

Don’t forget to visit Sonny’Side to find out who Sonny put on his lists.


Flashback Friday

Since we're talkin' baseball here, I figured I'd post some old baseball pics.  Here's one of Sonny's son Austin...

Me as a Low Country All-Star

Sonny waaaaaaay back in the day

The famous Dach... still the best ever...

Me a long time ago... but not as long ago as that pic of Sonny...

Me during an American Legion baseball game at The Joe...

Sonny at an All-State baseball all-star game (I think)

Sonny watching strike 3 from Bryce Florie...

2 comments:

  1. Not a bad list for both teams. I considered those same Blue Jays but settled on my four. I think the top of our lists are the same for obvious reasons. After that...well that's what makes it interesting. I love the Braves you picked, but I tried to leave the emotional attachment out and therefore could not leave off Spahn (Spahn and Sain and pray for rain!) and Matthews so some of my favorite players off all time had to be cut. Eddie Matthews often gets overlooked because of Aaron like Gehrig does sometimes because of Ruth. It looks like if we expand the list to top 10 we would agree pretty regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very hard to leave Spahn and Matthews off of my list. Not to mention Glavine (who was the last guy cut from my list). But Dale Murphy WAS the Braves in the 1980s, so I had to include him. And I felt Smoltz was too clutch in the playoffs (and too good as a starter and coming out of the bullpen) to leave him off. Of course, either of those two could be argued. For the Braves, the question isn't so much "Who are your Top 4 players" as much as it is "Who are the 3 guys you list behind Hank Aaron". The only other question is do you consider Maddux a Braves player or a Cubs player... my heart says Cubs but really his best years were with the Braves.

    ReplyDelete