Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 22, 2013

800th POST! Oh, and Happy Birthday Teresa Lynn…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Apprentice First Class George Frederick Mager (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898, on board the U.S.S. Marblehead. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Marblehead during the operation of cutting the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Mager displayed extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

Private First Class John D. Magrath (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 14, 1945, near Castel d'Aiano, Italy. His citation reads:

He displayed conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty when his company was pinned down by heavy artillery, mortar, and small arms fire, near Castel d'Aiano, Italy. Volunteering to act as a scout, armed with only a rifle, he charged headlong into withering fire, killing 2 Germans and wounding 3 in order to capture a machinegun. Carrying this enemy weapon across an open field through heavy fire, he neutralized 2 more machinegun nests; he then circled behind 4 other Germans, killing them with a burst as they were firing on his company. Spotting another dangerous enemy position to this right, he knelt with the machinegun in his arms and exchanged fire with the Germans until he had killed 2 and wounded 3. The enemy now poured increased mortar and artillery fire on the company's newly won position. Pfc. Magrath fearlessly volunteered again to brave the shelling in order to collect a report of casualties. Heroically carrying out this task, he made the supreme sacrifice--a climax to the valor and courage that are in keeping with highest traditions of the military service.

Private Herbert Mahers (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 25, 1869, at Seneca Mountain, Arizona. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.


HAPPY 800th POST!!!!!! That’s right, we’re just 200 away from 1,000 (that’s for all of you math teachers out there... you know who you are). I’ve had a fun time and I hope you have too. I’m thinking of making some changes to the blog at some point… but knowing me like I do, I’ll probably do a whole lot more thinking before I do anything. The bottom line, though, is that unlike some people (don’t worry Jenn, Ross, KC and Michael… I won’t name any names) I’m going to keep posting on this blog. Anyway, thanks for reading… keep coming back.

Don’t forget, the new Darius Rucker album (True Believers) is on sale now. I’ve bought it and listened to it and think it’s great. I hope he’s around for many many many more years to come to keep making great music.

Before I forget, we’d like to wish Teresa Lynn a very happy 41st birthday! I would make a big deal about this birthday… but at this age, what’s the point? It’s just another log on that high woodpile of life.



I'm going to be honest... I don't think that was their best effort. I don't think Maverick's heart was in it... I think he's getting a little tired of having to carry the group.


Teresa Lynn’s Top 5 Books

5 - How the Mighty Fall by Jim Collins  *No kidding... she has a business book in her top 5 (yes, I double checked with her)

4 - Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

3 - Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary

2 - Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White

1 - Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

87 If Looks Could Kill by: Kate White

86 Soul Harvest: The World Takes Sides by: Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins

85 Star Wars: A Clone Wars Novel- Shatterpoint by: Matthew Stover *This book is set between Episode II and Episode III.*

84 The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship by: David Halberstam *Great book about the love between teammates… something that I think exists in some ways at all levels of the game.*

83 The Bad Guys Won! …The Rowdiest Team Ever to Put on a New York Uniform - and Maybe the Best by: Jeff Pearlman *This is a great book about a crazy group of guys who won the World Series.*

82 Memories of Summer: When Baseball Was An Art, and Writing about It a Game by: Roger Kahn

81 Harry Potter: and the Half-Blood Prince by: J. K. Rowling

80 Rat Pack Confidential: Frank, Dean, Sammy, Peter, Joey, & The Last Great Showbiz Party by: Shawn Levy *I love (LOVE) reading about the Rat Pack. I would have loved to had a chance to hand out with them when they were at their best…*

79 Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered From All Sides by: Christian G. Appy *This is a GREAT collection of interviews from all different types of people from the Vietnam Era. I'm pretty sure all sides had a say at some point in this book.*

78 Banks to Sandberg to Grace: Five Decades of Love and Frustration With the Chicago Cubs by: Carrie Muskat

77 Our Oldest Enemy: A History of America's Disastrous Relationship With France by: John J. Miller and Mark Molesky *If you have a dislike of France (and you know I do) you'll like this book.*

76 Bat Boy: My True Life Adventures Coming Of Age with the New York Yankees by: Matthew McGough *Coach Cadden told me about this book. It's a great look at the life of a bat boy for the NY Yankees. Funny story (not about the book)… The Wife and I went into a Barnes and Noble on our way home from MaMa's house back in December of 2002. Who should I see but my old American Legion coach (Coach Cadden). He, of course, calls me by my older (but no longer bigger) brothers name. I call him Mr. Williams (ok, I get that only a few of you will get that, but I'm ok with inside jokes here). Anyway, he starts telling me that he doesn't have any assistant coaches for the upcoming season. I hadn't seen Coach Cadden since the summer of 1998 (when I was one of his assistant coaches... a year after I had played for him). Long story short - I tell him I can help him and so my second stint in the American Legion coaching world got going. And had that not happened, I probably would not have heard about this book (look at that... I was able to make this about the book).*


No comments:

Post a Comment